cost-effectiveness of handloading for the .308

Wasn't sure if I was going to post this here or on the reloading forums, but since my issue is specific to the .308 I figured those who reload in this caliber also drop by here.

I'm just a weekend shooter (about twice a month) and go thru about 150-200 rounds each visit to the range, usually shooting the cheap Wolf steel-cased ammo that goes for about $0.35 - 0.40/rd. While the steel-cased ammo is pretty good for the price, I did notice a difference when I went through 2 boxes of Hornady Match Ammo that went for around $1.40/rd. The ammo sounded different, and 3-shot groups were consistently tighter.

Without taking into account the cost of the reloading equipment, just the brass/primer/powder/bullets, around how much would each handloaded round cost?

With brass-cased .308 ammo going anywhere from around $0.50/rd to even upwards of $2/rd, how worthwhile is it to reload your own?

Each time you reload you need to replace powder, a primer, and a bullet. Primers run about $20 per 1000 or about $.02 per round no matter what type you settle on (excluding benchrest primers which aren't needed). 8lbs of powder will do anywhere from 900 to 1000 round. An 8 lb keg costs about $100 retail (on sale). So, figure that as $.10 per round. Bullets are the hard part becasue quality runs about $20 per hundred, whereas FMJ plinkers (on par with your wolf ammo are about half that), that's maybe $.20 per round. So a quality reloaded round, sans brass. Will run you about $.35 on up per round, sometimes closer to $.50 for real quality. Figure in brass at about a nickel per if you buy once fired, and up to $.15 if you buy new.

You need to consider the cost of your time as well. Most people reload for fun, and unless you shoot mega volumes you probably won't save any money.

Each time you reload you need to replace powder, a primer, and a bullet. Primers run about $20 per 1000 or about $.02 per round no matter what type you settle on (excluding benchrest primers which aren't needed). 8lbs of powder will do anywhere from 900 to 1000 round. An 8 lb keg costs about $100 retail (on sale). So, figure that as $.10 per round. Bullets are the hard part becasue quality runs about $20 per hundred, whereas FMJ plinkers (on par with your wolf ammo are about half that), that's maybe $.20 per round. So a quality reloaded round, sans brass. Will run you about $.35 on up per round, sometimes closer to $.50 for real quality. Figure in brass at about a nickel per if you buy once fired, and up to $.15 if you buy new.

You need to consider the cost of your time as well. Most people reload for fun, and unless you shoot mega volumes you probably won't save any money.

That's still cheaper than the usual $14 per 20 round box of Federal Premium bought at the gun store. And it's a quality round if you do it right. Yeah, if you are patient and vigilant, you can find surplus for $.30 per round, but that's surplus.

i would think the only way reloading would really matter is if your competting in tournments so you can get high consistant quality loads for cheaper but if your plunking or hunting if you can get a factory rnd that is inside of 1 1/2" at 100yrd that good enough. you have to add the cost of the equipment into the factor.look at how much you shoot a year. add the factory ammo up that you will shoot until you are like 75-80 years old and if you bought it at now ,at todays prices how much is that. then with the price of the equipment and the prices they gave you. you can see how much you will save.and if its worth the time and effot.i did this and for me it wouldnt be worth it im lucky if i can go to the range 4x a year. and since the price of ammo is hitting the roof im going to drastically cut how much 308 and my 7.62 ammo ill shoot per year (stocking up) ill just use my 10/22 alot more to keep skills up.ill stilll shoot them just not as many rnds per visit. what made me start stocking up is this http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page...T20071004c.html congrass just passed it recently,they have said they will band all commercial shipments of ALL arms and ammo over the oceans, so if you use foriegn made ammo you better stock up. lucky my 308 is US made and cost $10.97 per box at walmart.but if this happens what we pay now will be VERY CHEAP compared to what is to come for any and all ammo.

a little off subject,is there any1 who has lived through war time era,when the war ended did ammo prices go down? my guess is very little if it did.i figure they are going to keep raiseing the price 2-5 % about every 3 months until the war ends and then reduce the cost maybe only 5% just for appearances after the war and be makeing big time profit.

just another reason to vote for RON PAUL

Edited by Cryptkeeper

It probably depends on your aims. I reload for fun just because I know I can usually coax the best out of each gun I own, and doing so is a challenge in itself. In the winter it's a fun hobby to tweak loads for each gun, especially when the weather doesn't allow extended shooting sessions. There are a myriad of combinations of powders and bullet weights that you can choose from.

Reloading equipment isn't really that expensive as long as you don't make the mistake of buying low quality the first time. Note I say low quality, not low price. For under $400 you can get set up for starters and be lacking nothing that you will want later. For $200 you could get yourself started. Probably the biggest single thing you should not forget is that the reloading fixins are something that you need to have stored both safely and securely. You also need time to reload when you or your significant other might want to do something different.

Ammo only seems to be going up in price, but the components really haven't gone up in price as much based on what I can tell. The components are selling faster, but the price increase is a slower trend than on completed ammo (at least around here). Wolf steel 7.62x39 ammo used to sell for $2.50 a box of 20, and now it's $4.99 on sale. 8 lbs of powder cost $90, now it's $115 (not on sale). Bullets that used to cost $15 a box, now are $19. Primers are still around $20, just a whole lot harder to find. I don't think the demand for reloading components is as elastic as the demand for ammo, so the prices don't swing as wildly. Someone needs to be pretty dedicated to invest time and $'s into reloading, and the average schmo who bought his SKS at dunhams after 911 isn't going to learn all that goes into the making of quality ammo.

You can definately save money by loading very accurate match rounds that would sell for over a buck for under $0.40. The biggest downside is the giant amount of time it takes to reload rifle shells. I plan on reloading 9mm, .38, .45, .410, and 12ga, but never rifle. That takes forEVER.

That's why I went the way of the .30 Carbine. I don't shoot rifle enough to even have 500 pieces of brass yet.

Edited by Twinsen

You can save money if you are careful how and where you buy components. You dont have to use a full load for practice. I work up a light load that uses less powder and produces less recoil and wear on the gun. The brass will also last longer. For the 308 you can still get surplus bullets and cheaper military brass. Surplus powder is also avaible fairly cheap. The 223 is a little better in this respect and the 9mm is probably the cheapest as you can use a cast bullet. Using a Speer match 168 grain bullet and a minimum load of Reloader 15 my 308-1 would shoot very small groups, almost like a match tuned bolt gun. I think its worth it and you dont have to spend a lot of money. I started out with a Lee loader, which is still made, for about 10.00 in 1972.