Barrel length

This may seem like a dumb question but can anyone give me opinions on choosing a 24" or a 19" s-12? I've been keeping an eye on this incredibly cool shotgun for the past couple months and decided it may be time to make my move on buying one. I like the tac. look and manuverability of the 19" but I've already got a semi- short shotgun (Winchester Defender). I also like the better patterns the extra 5" should give... so I'm torn. Would a good choke make the 19 nearly equal to the 24 or is it just a rough decision I'm going to have to make?

I plan on using it as an occasional slug chucker for deer, birds/clays here and there... and of course when the zombies take over.

Thanks for all future input. I've been reading the boards for about 2 hours and it already looks like a good forum.

I could be wrong but think the longer barreled S12's have internally choked barrels whereas the 19 inch barrel is externally threaded for different chokes. A good choice might be a 19 incher with a Polychoke, and they are available as external thread-ons.

Welcome to the forum!

Unless things have changed, the 24" has a fixed full choke. You can still shoot rifled slugs, but you loose both the option of changing chokes, or the option to add a hider, etc.

You can always have the barrel cut back and threaded, but the additional cost will be far more than the innitial savings.

The factory choke set,or PolyChoke will run you about $100.

If you want to run external factory or adjustable PolyChokes, I'd get the 19" threaded version and just buy the choke(s) that you want. If you don't care about choices of chokes, go with the 24" fixed full. If you don't mind spending, off the top of my head, $150-200 for an internally threaded barrel that uses Rem or Win chokes, get the 24" have it cut down and threaded by a reputable Smith. Saiga's are typically a little more to have internally threaded due to the requirement of reaming the chrome lining first.

Also remember if you decide to cut and thread that your choice is internal threads, or external, not both. Wall thickness is too thin to cut threads in both the inside and outside diameters.

Edited by 6500rpm

You might run across a 22" Saiga which is a very nice compromise. I have one and it's a great shooter for all around shooting but I'd not take it (Or any Saiga) long range Goose hunting.

are these pretty much a no-no for bird hunting then? or are they pretty much any other shotgun... as far as distance is concerned?

The reason bird hunters like those 28"+ shotgun barrels is because they swing better for leading the target. The shorter barrel won't hurt range or pattern size. Most people associate short barrels with huge patterns because they typically come in cylinder bore-only "riot gun" configuration.

I suggest you go with the 19" threaded version:

- No need to chop/thread the barrel for chokes (also avoids stuck/bulged Remchokes)

- Short barrel handles/carries better in the woods

- Polychoke available in Saiga threads

- 7" threaded barrel extension available

- Paradox rifled choke tube available for sabots

You might run across a 22" Saiga which is a very nice compromise. I have one and it's a great shooter for all around shooting but I'd not take it (Or any Saiga) long range Goose hunting.

+1 for the 19" threaded model (IZ-109)

It patterns fine without any attachments but is readily adaptable to all that will screw onto it. (and the variety is still growing)

The 22" full choked guns do shoot very well also, I love mine for turkey shoots or bird hunting, but the 19 is just as good from my experience.

As far as goose hunting goes, I'm not sure what you consider long range, but I've dropped Canada geese in my back yard from 50 yds no problem with Remmy #4. (big splash...lol)

<edit to add>

That was with my 19" gun with a Tromix ' 74 style muzzle brake.

Edited by Cobra 76 two