quality 5.45x39 rifle????????

Hello all,

I just recently purchased a wasr 2 ak 74 in 5.45x39....... I love this cartridge, but the rifle is not exactly what I would call a superb specimen. Its a century built rifle, and has the normal problems associated with them. Its was already sent back to the factory once with problems, (before even getting to fire it) and now that its returned, well lets just say I dont feel that its very reliable.................that that I completely hate this rifle, it was worth the money spent on it but i am looking for something a bit more functional and reliable.

So can anyone suggest a quality 5.45x39 rifle, that can be seen as reliable, and of good quality. I've been looking at the Polish Tantals, but the company I was going to order them from went from selling Interarms brand to Century brand, and needless to say I dont want to go down that road again................

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

odn

Century doesn't build the WASR, they just import it, and add compliance parts. They don't build anything any more, to my knowledge (they contract professional outside builders to do it for them).

My advice would be to find a kit you like, gather your compliance parts and receiver and attend an AK build party in your area. You'll leave at the end of the day with a functional rifle and know that it was built with care (because you'd be building it).

This method will also save you lots of money.

Since you didn't mention any specific problems with your WASR2, here is a website that addresses many of them: http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/ On the left side are tutorials for fixing a lot of the troubles WASRs seem to have.

Edited by nalioth

Thanks for the recommendation for the website. I had checked it out prior to buying my wasr...... The one I purchased did not have any of the problems listed on there.... What was actually wrong with mine, and still is to a small degree is, the action works very rough, and when cycling it by hand the bolt will hold open..... Before sending it back to the factory it was serious, happened like every two to three hand cycles, now it more like once every 50 hand cycles. The piston was cross threaded on the bolt carrier causing it to be at an angle, this caused some of the problem, and they fixed that issue, but for some reason its still doing it to a small degree. They test fired it and apparently it did fine, but to be honest I dont fully trust it still, and am debating on whether or not to send it back again.

As far as build parties go unfortuneately no one has them around here....... Everyone is more into ar's than ak's..... Most people around here havent even heard of the Saiga's.... Which is sad considering what great guns they are...... Everytime I take my to shoot, I get lost of questions about them, and thankfully the interest is growing

Thanks for the recommendation for the website. I had checked it out prior to buying my wasr...... The one I purchased did not have any of the problems listed on there.... What was actually wrong with mine, and still is to a small degree is, the action works very rough, and when cycling it by hand the bolt will hold open.....

That is a common phenomena with new Tapco trigger groups. It will go away after you shoot it a bit. It's a 'non-problem', just new parts needing to be broken in.

Thanks nalioth thats great to hear. I was not aware that it was a breaking in issue concerning the trigger group, but it makes sense now that you mention it. Maybe it will turn out to be a better shooter than i expected then.

odn

Edited by odn777

My SAR2 is one of my favorite guns. First day out with it, using Wolf 60 grain HP ammo I got star shaped 2" five shot groups (perfect circle) off the rest at 100 yards with the iron sights.

As for the FCG, you might try accelerating the wear process with some jewler's Rouge (a polishing compound) applied to the contact surfaces, then cycling the action manually as many times as you can (speed shouldn't matter) while watching tv or something. It works for double-action revolvers anyway. <shrug>

If you want real quality, you'll have to pay for it. Arsenal makes good guns from what I've heard. Ohio Rapid-Fire makes a milled 74 as well I believe, and I'd trust their work. Alexander arms was going to produce an AR upper in 5.45x39mm, from what I remember. Was going to call the catridge the "21 Ghengis" or some such. I think that went by the wayside though.

If you want to have some real fun, save some two liter soda bottles, fill them with water, then shoot them with surplus 5.45x39mm. The explosion is *great* to watch! It's even more fun when you can watch the AR guys try the same with their M193 load (55 grain bullet) and just poke holes in it. Oh, and the Golden Tiger 7.62x39mm does the same as the mil-surp 5.45x39mm. Has the same kind of hollow nose. :D

Overall though, I agree with what's been said: the best one is the one you build yourself. Failing that, get all the parts you want to have and send them off to a quality builder. It will cost you, but you'll get something that's truely and completely yours.

I have a bolt that holds back too, but it is because of the offcenter gas tube and the piston has to work very hard to get down it.

My god if there was a local AK build party. MY GOD. Both saigas would go, and I'd build 2 kits probably.

As for quality kits, any builder can make you one from a receiver and a kit. Also, look at the Arsenal 105's, although they are commanding a premium now because they aren't made anymore and everybody wants one.

Edited by Twinsen

So can anyone suggest a quality 5.45x39 rifle, that can be seen as reliable, and of good quality. I've been looking at the Polish Tantals, but the company I was going to order them from went from selling Interarms brand to Century brand, and needless to say I dont want to go down that road again................

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

odn

If you could find a Vepr that they don't want $1,000,000 for, then definitly jump on it. This is/was the best 5.45 available. As previously stated, Arsenal does also make a excellent 5.45, the paint sucks but that is easily remedied. I have seen some WASR's that were refinished and had new or redone furniture and they looked pretty dadgum nice. I remember in the '80s early'90s, not until the end of the Russo-Afgan war wishing for a 5.45 but they were not available here. The round is superior to the 5.56 especially the steelcore mil-spec stuff and is readily available. Soooooo, stock up before it too is $200-400 per 1K and before it is reclassified as Armour-piercing like the Norinco copper-wash 7.62x39 was.

Edited by U.S Praetorian