Pistol-grip only rifle, legalities?

Got one of those wild hair ideas. :D Is it legal to mount or modify a rifle to pistol-grip only (no buttstock) as long as:

the bbl length and overall length are within federal guidelines? (not an SBR) and the rifle isn't modified in such a manner as to prevent re-installation of the factory buttstock?

I know this is done with shotguns all the time, but is it okay to do the same to a rifle without it becoming an NFA weapon?

I know the Thompson clones have removeable buttstocks, as well as some of the "MAC"-style carbines, also the semi-auto 1919A4'a and the Gatling-gun AKs and 10/22s, so what exactly is the law regarding pistol-gripping a rifle?

This would be built on a US made rifle, so parts count compliance doesn't apply.

You can't take a rifle and make a pistol out of it. You would have to start with a new receiver that has never had a buttstock on it.

I know this is done with shotguns all the time, but is it okay to do the same to a rifle without it becoming an NFA weapon?

I'm not sure what you mean here, you can't just cut a shotty down either.

You can't take a rifle and make a pistol out of it. You would have to start with a new receiver that has never had a buttstock on it.

I'm not sure what you mean here, you can't just cut a shotty down either.

I think the OP used too many words and concepts and that is confusing things.

He wants to pull the buttstock out of his AK and keep it in his truck/home/office wherever.

Sorta like this:

mosspers.jpg or this: 0stockkalashnikov.jpg

He doesn't want to cut anything down, or anything like that. Unless he lives in a weird jurisdiction, so long as it's got a 16" barrel and is 26" long overall, he's good.

Edited by nalioth

Yep, that's the ticket. Only it's not an AK.

BobAsh is right about chopping down a long gun to "pistol" length, but I would keep the barrel length and overall length within the legal minimums without crossing the line into SBR or SBS territory.

You just don't see a lot of folks doing it, because your accuracy goes right out the window.

Right you are. Granted it wouldn't be very "practical", just something I'm thinking about just for the hell of it. :D

Is it that you can make a pistol into a rifle and back again, buy not a rifle into a pistol. I just finished a 8.250" long flash hider today while at "work". The blast from my V53 pistol is too much, so I figured I'd move it out a bit from my hand and the guard. Hope to try it out Thursday afternoon.

Is it that you can make a pistol into a rifle and back again, buy not a rifle into a pistol. I just finished a 8.250" long flash hider today while at "work". The blast from my V53 pistol is too much, so I figured I'd move it out a bit from my hand and the guard. Hope to try it out Thursday afternoon.

Yes, legally you can convert a pistol or pistol receiver into a rifle (and back), but to do the reverse requires paying an NFA tax to create a "short barreled rifle".

Check out the Noveske "krink" style FH. It did wonders for my Carbon-15. Changed it from a handheld stun grenade into something almost practical. He could probably do one up for you with the proper HK thread.

And as far as going "pistol-to-rifle-and back", there are some warnings to heed.

The rifle barrel has to be no less than 16" (longer if necessary to acheive the 26" overall length)

THEY can bust you if you have a stock and a pistol, but no rifle-length barrel, even if the stock isn't attached.

It can also go the other way: AR rifle or rifle lower+pistol upper=SBR, even if the two aren't attached, unless you also have a "papered" pistol lower.

If you add an extension, muzzle brake, or flash hider to acheive the minimum barrel length, it must be permanently attached (welded) to the barrel. (No screw-on, screw-off attachments)

I'm sure there's more stuff, but I'm probably preaching to the choir anyways. Just want everybody to stay legal.

So ya wanna roll like this, do ya?

060628-kalashnikov_1-thumb.jpg060628-kalashnikov_2-thumb.jpg

Is that for "ride-by" shootings?

Heh, that reminds me of one of my brother's friends. He recently acquired a 4' tall trebuchet and is planning a drive-by trebuchet-ing. I'll be sure to post the youtube link wen it happens. :-)

Acer