Ciener .22 AK conversion kits

Well I have been looking into a .22 AK, and the WASR .22's are cool, but no hi-caps kinda sucks. I know ciner makes a conversion kit for AK's that has I think a 12" barrel sleeve. Has anyone used one of these? Do they feed? How about accuracy?

I am just getting sick of paying so much to shoot all the time. No one locally stocks 7.62x39 wolf, so I have to order it and it keeps creeping up in price, so I am trying to get into .22 wherever possible. I figure if the Ciener kits are about as accurate as an AK with cheap ammo, it will be a good alternative for plinking.

Or get a krinker plinker kit if you want the ak look with a 22rf budget.

I looked at those, but they are more than the kit or a wasr22, and I dont own a 10/22 so its even more $$$. I really would just like the identical ergonomics, so I can build the muscle memory without the expense.

I looked at those, but they are more than the kit or a wasr22, and I dont own a 10/22 so its even more $$$. I really would just like the identical ergonomics, so I can build the muscle memory without the expense.

Go for the wasr/akt .22 I have one and it's a blast to shoot. The mag capacity does suck, but Im thinking I could make a steel ciener mag work with some mods. I paid like $275 plus shipping for mine on Gunbroker. After a little tweeking it now runs 100% The ciener conversions cost $200 or so if you can even find one. I hear there wait list is rather long aswell.

Go for the wasr/akt .22 I have one and it's a blast to shoot. The mag capacity does suck, but Im thinking I could make a steel ciener mag work with some mods. I paid like $275 plus shipping for mine on Gunbroker. After a little tweeking it now runs 100% The ciener conversions cost $200 or so if you can even find one. I hear there wait list is rather long aswell.

Yeah I may just do that. I was gung ho for the WASR22 a coule weeks back, but then got around to thinking, and now I have read some pretty bad things about Ciener, customer service wise. I guess hes a real jerk, WASR22 it is!!!

Thanks

As far as I understand 922 doesnt differentiate between calibers, but furniture does interchange with standard AK stuff.

It is weird though with both the WASR22 and the GSG5 even being imported with "evil" features. Might be deemed "sporting"? The WASR22 is not Hi cap, nor does it have a break or bayo lug, either so maybe that does it, as the single stack WASR's wwere available during the ban, with the same configuration. Just more government nonsense. Maybe they're giving us our last "hurrah" before the new AWB. Its almost scary.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an AK-22 from Armscor and i love it. Hard to find hi-caps, but the damn thing never jams or misfires. It's an excellent little plinker and even good for squirrel hunting. I believe I paid $175 for mine, used.

If anyone knows where I can get that 25 rounder, drop me a line and a link.

Edited by Srouxd
  • 3 weeks later...

The guys at BDM that make 30rnd Ceiner mags were asking Century at SHOT about how many Romy 22 AKs they brought in, since some of us have been poking them for hicaps. Sending pics of a cut/stuff Ceiner in a 74 mag helps too :super:

The AKT will only get the same accuracy as a plain 10/22 with no bbl upgrades, but it is very cool.

I've got an AK-22 from Armscor and i love it. Hard to find hi-caps, but the damn thing never jams or misfires. It's an excellent little plinker and even good for squirrel hunting. I believe I paid $175 for mine, used.

If anyone knows where I can get that 25 rounder, drop me a line and a link.

Check with CDNN and Centerfire Systems.

• 3 months later...

If you want a good cheap 22 rifle get a Ruger 10/22

Loads of hi cap mags available.

Lots of after market mods and the damn things are under 200 bucks brand new. Used you can find them for 100 to 150 in pawnshops.

You can't go wrong with a 10/22 trust me.

Well, got my WASR22 yesterday afternoon, hit the range with her this morning. I put a Romy scope that I got from my dealer a few months on it and it shoots great. A few misfeeds, but over all it ran quite well with cheap Remington "golden" bulk ammo. Not as accurate as a 22" Marlin 60, but I'd say easily on par with a standard 10/22. I dont particularly like the PSL stock, its too short for me, so once I get her to fit me a little better it should tighten up some.

The FCG looks to be identical to an AK group, and its a bit gritty and creepy so I plan on polishing it up, but it still has a crisp break to it, so it should be salvagable. I didnt think it would be as similar to an AK as it is., its pretty neat.

The fit and finish is downright ugly. It makes My WASR10 look like a Weatherby. Just awful, with some rust leeching through the cosmoline that I cleaned off, and some pitting on the top cover, yes pitting. I plan on swapping the GB out to one with a bayo lug, so I may see about getting it sandblasted and then spray it.

Got it from DDS Ranch by the way...$299 shipped

I'll get some pics up tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an AKT98, it has never really worked very well, but after a lot of work it works OK with certain ammo (mine likes CCI Blazer). I did a fluff and buff on all the moving parts, and gave it a good cleaning, also ramped the chamber a little (actually went a little too far, need to reline the chamber and start over again). The Romy mags so far have been junk, I took one apart and replaced the plastic 22 mag body with a stainless steel mag from a Marlin Bolt action, it took just a little fitting, but it works very well.

I'd be interested to see a quality aftermarket mag for this gun.

I've sold several of the little Armscor guns and they have all worked very well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I wouldn't mind getting a WASR-22. Don't let the ten round magazines stop you because Red Dog Machine Tool is planning to make 30 rounders for them. I called Ciener about a conversion kit for the S&W autos and the woman who answered the phone was a real bitch. I won't buy anything from them if they act like assholes.

I'm shooting a 10/22 because of the high cap magazines and the reliability which the WASR-22s may not have. I read posts which some owners complain about extractor problems while others have one which work fine. Apparently their QC is not that great. I can't afford the Krinker Plinker which costs more than the WASR-22 and requires a 10/22.

My friend has an Armscor AK-22 which he likes and Centerfire Systems has 25 rounders for it.