21" more accurate than 16"

Actually from my experience and that of quite a few others it seems that the 16" is just a tad MORE accurate than the 22"

Maybe it`s the barrel harmonics, who knows but my 16" is a fuzz more accurate than my 22".

With a red star trigger and carefully tuned handloads my 22" would do 1.25" at 100 yds from the bench, my 16" shoots 1" with handloads and once in a while if I hold my mouth just right and I didnt drink too much coffee that morning I can squeeze in a sub MOA group.

Funny thing is, both rifles shot their best with 125 gr. ballistic tips, 150 gr. bullets in both gave ho-hum performance and 168 gr. bullets truly sucked.

You`ll lose about 150-200 FPS from the short barrel but gain handiness and a bit of accuracy, nothing I`m planning on shooting will notice 150 fps. so I like the 16"

Your mileage may vary.

Bossman

I own the 223 in 16" and it shoots pretty damn good. But after this weekend, I'd have to say that the 22" should be more accurate due to the longer sight radius. Okay, you want to really make your rifle accurate? Get some peep sights.

I own the 223 in 16" and it shoots pretty damn good. But after this weekend, I'd have to say that the 22" should be more accurate due to the longer sight radius. Okay, you want to really make your rifle accurate? Get some peep sights.

Or a scope. :haha:

Actually from my experience and that of quite a few others it seems that the 16" is just a tad MORE accurate than the 22"

Maybe it`s the barrel harmonics, who knows but my 16" is a fuzz more accurate than my 22".

With a red star trigger and carefully tuned handloads my 22" would do 1.25" at 100 yds from the bench, my 16" shoots 1" with handloads and once in a while if I hold my mouth just right and I didnt drink too much coffee that morning I can squeeze in a sub MOA group.

Funny thing is, both rifles shot their best with 125 gr. ballistic tips, 150 gr. bullets in both gave ho-hum performance and 168 gr. bullets truly sucked.

You`ll lose about 150-200 FPS from the short barrel but gain handiness and a bit of accuracy, nothing I`m planning on shooting will notice 150 fps. so I like the 16"

Your mileage may vary.

Bossman

Interesting you should mention your experience with the 125 Ballistic Tip. My 16" barreled Saiga 308 also likes 125s. It shoots hand loaded 125 Remington Corelokt SP bullet very well. 1.5" - 2" groups off the bench using the iron sights are not uncommon. I haven't clocked them yet but I sure they are screaming. The 150s, 165s and 175s are ok but don't seem to group as well. I have shot several of our local 150Lb deer with this 125 grain 308 load out of my bolt gun and its perfromance on game this size has been great.