Which to convert? .308 or .223

I need a little help deciding which to install Jake's group buy conversion package on. I own both, but would like to leave one in the stock configuration for a more politically correct apperance.

I am leaning towards converting the .223 as it is the more strictly military type round, but I wonder if a pistol grip on the .308 would make it a better recoil manager. Which would you convert and why?

Thanks guys and gals.

The 223 probably will have easier availability of reasonably priced hi cap mags, and with hi caps you probably need the PG conversion anyway. The 308 is also a nice conversion, but the mags are $50 a piece. The PG doesn't really do a whole lot to reduce the recoil, but does make it handle better. A PG will tend to reduce muzzle climb when cranking out multiple shots, but with the 308 you'll be having climb either way.

IMO the 16 in 308 is a nice looking and handling gun even without the conversion. The 223 triggers are a bit rougher until replaced as part of a PG conversion.

If I had a choice between converting the 223/x39 and a 308 itd definately be the 223/x39- even more so if they had synthetic stocks and were 16'', because at that weight and size and caliber its not really a rifle but a carbine; which really warrants having a pistol grip on it and all the fixin's :wub: If I kept the 223/x39 unconverted, but converted the 308 id feel confused:P. You can make standard ak mags fit into the 223/x39, but not so with the 308. That'd be something Id like to take advantage of, but a big banana clip I think would look distasteful on a saiga in the unconverted rifle config. I dont know if one is easier to convert than the other, but id let my big caliber stay big, and convert my intermediate calibers into intermediate carbines- The furniture and recoil on my 308 is just too satisfying to convert :D , got a wasr10 in PG config anyway:P

The 223 probably will have easier availability of reasonably priced hi cap mags, and with hi caps you probably need the PG conversion anyway. The 308 is also a nice conversion, but the mags are $50 a piece. The PG doesn't really do a whole lot to reduce the recoil, but does make it handle better. A PG will tend to reduce muzzle climb when cranking out multiple shots, but with the 308 you'll be having climb either way.

IMO the 16 in 308 is a nice looking and handling gun even without the conversion. The 223 triggers are a bit rougher until replaced as part of a PG conversion.

Sounds like good reasoning. I hadn't thought about mag availability or the .223 trigger. I have 2 hicaps already for each, but will buy a few more for the converted rig. The .223 is starting to transform before my eyes.

Thanks

If I had a choice between converting the 223/x39 and a 308 itd definately be the 223/x39- even more so if they had synthetic stocks and were 16'', because at that weight and size and caliber its not really a rifle but a carbine; which really warrants having a pistol grip on it and all the fixin's :wub: If I kept the 223/x39 unconverted, but converted the 308 id feel confused:P. You can make standard ak mags fit into the 223/x39, but not so with the 308. That'd be something Id like to take advantage of, but a big banana clip I think would look distasteful on a saiga in the unconverted rifle config. I dont know if one is easier to convert than the other, but id let my big caliber stay big, and convert my intermediate calibers into intermediate carbines- The furniture and recoil on my 308 is just too satisfying to convert :D , got a wasr10 in PG config anyway:P

Both ar 16" syns. That did it .223 it is!

Thanks for the wisdom.

Why not both? They both have sound reasoning for conversions, mainly they look and handle KICK ASS!

It's like buying a new Dodge Viper and opting for a 4cyl. option.

Edited by 1liter

Actually I had this same question to consider - I am converting the 308 now as I figured if I had to head for the hills and could only have one rifle - I'd want the 308. I have a norinco AK already as well as a 223 Saiga - I'll most likely convert the 223 in the near future also.

Why not both? They both have sound reasoning for conversions, mainly they look and handle KICK ASS!

It's like buying a new Dodge Viper and opting for a 4cyl. option.

I really want to keep one more as a truck gun that does not look too assault like if I pull it out to dispatch a hurt deer or somthing. Plus, I like the stock look for what it is, sort of a sleeper appearance until you stick the long box in, then it is hell in disguise. I think thee .308 is better multi-purposed for that role. BTW, I already have a fairly tricked out Rom SAR1 7-62-39.

Edited by gkellys

+2