New 5 round Saiga 12 mags

Just a heads up. I saw an ad on Sturmgewehr from www.keepshooting.com they are advertising 5 rnd Saiga 12 mags for $19.95 or 3/$14.95 ea. I do not know if they are any good. I did call and ask if they were american made, I was informed they are foreign but not Russian. I ordered 3. Who knows they might even work.

Back a few years ago, when the some of the students at ODU, were trying to make Saiga Magazines they one of them told me that the Russians were using Nylon 60 I think in factory mags the material on these does not appear to be the same as factory mags but heck if they work who knows it could be a good source for 5 round mags mabye it will drive down the price of factory mags

Just got home from work and had a package sitting by the front door...I haven't had much time to look at them as the kids are real sick but inital impression is that they are more slick/shiny looking then the factory mags (no big deal...), I was easily able to load all five rounds, I had a little difficulty getting the mag to lock into the gun (bolt locked open) when I was just "pushing" but a swift tap on the bottom of the mag seated the mag, it was very firmly seated with no play/wiggle, had to really press mag release and work the mag to release the mag..... again I only gave these a brief look over, load and put in gun!!! The one I tried seemed to fit very tightly but this is a brand new mag in a brand new gun...I didn't try to hand cycle the gun....overall as long as the mag loads fine when shooting these seem like a great buy for the price--seem very well built!! I won't be able to get to the range for a while so hopefully someone with easier range access will have these in hand soon.......I just wanted to get a quick first impression out to those waiting to hear..

Edit: Ok just had another few minutes to play with the one mag that I opened and after inserting and dropping it a few times it seems to "work" easier but still has a nice tight fit with NO wiggle or play once locked in (I like that...), I was able to hand cycle all five rounds without a problem....again as long as they work the same "under fire" then these will be a great, cheap alternative to $40+ 5 rd mags....

Edited by VA M11
Got mine today, they look great. Some minor filing to get them to lock up but they are tight and seem to be of the same quality as the factory ones. If they feed reliably they are a great deal!

I got the magazines from www.keepshooting.com in two days. They're made in Taiwan, apparently the price of making molds there is cheaper. I estimate the mold price in the US to be about $80,000 so it's probably cheaper to make them there (unfortunately for American jobs)

The magazines look like the Saiga ones except the plastic does not have a grained surface. I had to do the same thing to get my mags to lock. The nylon files easily so it is not fiberglass reinforced. The Saiga seems be have 25% glass filled and the AGP ten rounder seems like 35% glass filled. The magazine loads into the S-12 easily and the parts look like they're close to the S-12 factory mags. I have to get time to get to the range to test the new mags.

Hello Everyone,

We are happy that many have received their magazines and everyone seems to be pleased with them. Everyone we have spoken with seems to agree that they are an excellent alternative to the Russian made magazines.

The Saiga-12 that we used for acceptance testing of these magazines for fit and function was one we had to purchase used. We can take any of the imported magazines and they will easily "rock and lock" into this gun without any need to "fit" it to the particular gun. I believe it was an EAA import, serial number is 01405757 which may help with dating this particular shotgun. The gun itself is in a stock configuration, the only thing noticeable is the finish has worn some from the magazine catch. So it is quite possible that the tight initial fit is due to some friction between your newer Saiga-12 magazine catch and the new magazine from us. I'm quite sure that as you continue to use the magazine it will stay tight in your gun, but the friction that causes the engagement to be tight will lessen with each time the magazine is inserted and removed.

Thanks,

-Brian

Got mine today, they look great. Some minor filing to get them to lock up but they are tight and seem to be of the same quality as the factory ones. If they feed reliably they are a great deal!

I got the magazines from www.keepshooting.com in two days. They're made in Taiwan, apparently the price of making molds there is cheaper. I estimate the mold price in the US to be about $80,000 so it's probably cheaper to make them there (unfortunately for American jobs)

The magazines look like the Saiga ones except the plastic does not have a grained surface. I had to do the same thing to get my mags to lock. The nylon files easily so it is not fiberglass reinforced. The Saiga seems be have 25% glass filled and the AGP ten rounder seems like 35% glass filled. The magazine loads into the S-12 easily and the parts look like they're close to the S-12 factory mags. I have to get time to get to the range to test the new mags.

Actually the AGP mags are 20% fill. The Russian are more like 40 to 50% fill. This is why the AGP mags mar easier than the Russian. Can't say what fill the new 5rders are but they defiantly have glass in them. If they was straight nylon they would not be very rigid and would flex and bend rather easy.

Hello Everyone,

We are happy that many have received their magazines and everyone seems to be pleased with them. Everyone we have spoken with seems to agree that they are an excellent alternative to the Russian made magazines.

The Saiga-12 that we used for acceptance testing of these magazines for fit and function was one we had to purchase used. We can take any of the imported magazines and they will easily "rock and lock" into this gun without any need to "fit" it to the particular gun. I believe it was an EAA import, serial number is 01405757 which may help with dating this particular shotgun. The gun itself is in a stock configuration, the only thing noticeable is the finish has worn some from the magazine catch. So it is quite possible that the tight initial fit is due to some friction between your newer Saiga-12 magazine catch and the new magazine from us. I'm quite sure that as you continue to use the magazine it will stay tight in your gun, but the friction that causes the engagement to be tight will lessen with each time the magazine is inserted and removed.

Thanks,

-Brian

Actually the tightness is not a bad thing. It is some what common in the Russian 5rders as well. Here is a link to the Russian mag fitting instructions. You might could make a copy of it in better English and send it with your mags. It might save you a lot of time answering questions on how to make them fit. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=19018