Question about Saigas

I personally have never seen a factory Saiga w/o one.

Well I thought they didn't come with one because in the Saiga Conversion video on youtube he installs a BHO so I figured they orginally didnt come with one.

He was RE-installing it. As stated, they all come with one. But it's up to you if you want to re-install it after conversion.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Well I thought they didn't come with one because in the Saiga Conversion video on youtube he installs a BHO so I figured they orginally didnt come with one.

He was RE-installing it. As stated, they all come with one. But it's up to you if you want to re-install it after conversion.

Ah ok, so it must be removed before converting?

Ah ok, so it must be removed before converting?

Yeah, you have to gut all the internals to convert. You don't have to put it back in after conversion, it's up to you. I didn't put mine back after my conversion, but I still have it, if I feel the need to down the road.

The crap that is left over after a rifle conversion:

saiga556_664.JPG

Please note that if you play your 922r parts game right, the hammer and disconnector can be reused (as well as the BHO).

Edited by nalioth

I think the only real reason you might want a BHO is for range rules.

I discovered a few days ago that a used mag I recently purchased has a BHO follower. I discoverd it when I fired the last round. Where might one buy these magical followers?

I discovered a few days ago that a used mag I recently purchased has a BHO follower. I discoverd it when I fired the last round. Where might one buy these magical followers?

They come standard with Yugoslavian AK mags.

Chinese mags can be modified to provide this action.

FSE Inc (when they existed) sold US made copies of the chinese followers, and you could mod your mags to use them as BHO followers.

Some have jbwelded an empty casing onto their existing follower.

Here's some http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?...19d34b0b7895158 , if $11 is worth it for you :unsure: .

I have another question for ya.

Tapco has two Galil Style handguards.

One is just called "Galil Style"

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=bd98...87-5248d0c76c84

And the other is "Saiga Galil style handguard"

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=7c41...eb-3afa781040f8

Is the "Saiga Galil style handguard" the only one that will fit the Saiga or am I missing something here?

I have another question for ya.

Tapco has two Galil Style handguards.

One is just called "Galil Style"

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=bd98...87-5248d0c76c84

And the other is "Saiga Galil style handguard"

http://www.tapco.com/proddesc.aspx?Id=7c41...eb-3afa781040f8

Is the "Saiga Galil style handguard" the only one that will fit the Saiga or am I missing something here?

The saiga specific style comes with a retainer to hold the handguard on as the standard style is made for rifles that have a lower handguard retainer.

Superhawk has it right. The other one will fit, but you'll need to get a lower hand guard retainer. If you only plan on using that specific hand guard, and never switching it out, then get the Saiga specific one. If you ever want a regular hand guards, you might as well invest in Dinzags bolt-on retainer ( http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/akbor1.html ), which will let you use any AK hand guards you want.

Wow, you guys really know your stuff, thanks!

HA.....we know all......we're basically nerds....with guns....lotsa guns....lol

seriously though....I think if you have a question on Saigas...this site and its members will have the answer.... if not several answers.....more than one way to skin a cat ya know.....

Here's some http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?...19d34b0b7895158 , if $11 is worth it for you :unsure: .

Thanks very much. To Naolioth as well.

JB Weld is another magic to be tackled at another time.

It also comes in handy when you want to run a quick boresnake through it without having to hold the bolt open or take the action apart.

Didn't think of that since I strip it down to clean it. Using a boresnake in field or zombie conditions might make that BHO function more useful

The only range I can get to requires a BHO (some type of attached bolt hold open, and not just a piece of plastic/flag).

If you don't have one on the firearm, you can't use that firearm at the range.

Can't say I agree, but I understand the rule (and I know when someone has me by the bongos) :cryss: .

louielouie

It also comes in handy when you want to run a quick boresnake through it without having to hold the bolt open or take the action apart.

Didn't think of that since I strip it down to clean it. Using a boresnake in field or zombie conditions might make that BHO function more useful

Edited by louielouie