STG-2000 rifles, any thoughts?

I just read a recent article in one of the gun rags about the STG-2000 rifles being sold by IOC, inc. Based on the East German Weigner design and supposed to be a decent gun. Any thoughts on this system? Anyone own one? I would like to know what experiences you had with it if you do. Thanks.

AK's are crudely made weapons to begin with. Romanian AK's are the crudest of the crude! You get what you pay for! Besides when has a "gun rag" ever told the truth about any weapon? Their job is to get you to think about buying or to buy the "weapon of the month" they tout, not to be objective about a piece of junk! If they were really honest about most of guns made today, they'd be out of a job , because the gun manufacturers would no longer advertise in their "rag" or give them free guns to test! Apparently their job worked!

If you really want to know what these guns are like ask many other sights or google the piece of junk for all the negative reviews they get for being crude deguises of an East German AK. East Germany made some of the best quality of the Com BLoc weapons line. This ain't East German quality by a long shot! :smoke:

• 3 weeks later...
AK's are crudely made weapons to begin with. Romanian AK's are the crudest of the crude!

I have a STG-2000c and it is the worst AK in my considerable collection. The quality is rough as "sh*t in the road", front sight block is canted, the hand guards have started melting at the gas block, mag wobbles like a drunk AND it keyholes shots at only 25 yards. I think the STG-2000 is dangerous and have permanently retired mine to the closet as an example of a poorly implemented and failed AK variant.

AK's are crudely made weapons to begin with. Romanian AK's are the crudest of the crude!

I have a STG-2000c and it is the worst AK in my considerable collection. The quality is rough as "sh*t in the road", front sight block is canted, the hand guards have started melting at the gas block, mag wobbles like a drunk AND it keyholes shots at only 25 yards. I think the STG-2000 is dangerous and have permanently retired mine to the closet as an example of a poorly implemented and failed AK variant.

Make a lamp out of it and call it a day. :D

GunsC.jpg

Every WASR that I have ever handled has had a loose, wobbly magazine. I can deal with rough finish....after all it IS an AK...but that mag wobble really makes it hard for me to have any confidence that the gun will go bang when you pull the trigger. I know guys who have WASR's that have been 100% reliable and great shooters, but I just cannot deal with that rattling mag.

• 10 months later...

This reply may be to late to give useful information to the person who asked if the stg-2000c is worth any investment. First I have heard plenty of negative comments on the stg-2000c, mainly that it is wobbly and that it does not accept steel mags. I bought mine in early 2008, when this question was first published, and that was the first thing I noticed when I barked off 30 rounds of sweet ak power was that it was wobbly. But after being told by many that the steel mags would work only with gunsmithing to the gun I bought some steel mags of different origin, Bulgarian, Russian, and Hungarian, and they all worked flawlessly. I tested full mags and never had one glitch, something you expect from an Ak-47. And the steel mags took the wobble out of the gun. The steel mags fit snug into the gun, the US-made polymer mags fit loosely and give it a bad reputation. So to answer the question of if this is a worthwhile ak-variant, I would say most definitely. I bought the side rail mount and put a trujicon red-dot on the mount, and I can shoot no more than 4" groups at 75 yards with wolf ammo or military surplus, and shoot almost 2 1/2' groups with seller and belloit ammo which is loaded more consistently. The reason why I bought a stg instead of an "original' ak-47 is because the feel of the gun fit my larger framed body better and it had chromed-lined barrel, and is US made,except the Romainian receiver it is built upon. I hope I turned someone's eye to the Stg-2000c. Thank and support your local gun store.

They are crap! My dad had one and the barrel was BENT. :ded: He ended up trading it and a yugo m70 for a desert eagle.

You say all are crap or just the one that your dad had pick up by random. I have heard a lot of negative stuff on the STG-2000c, but I own and shoot one on a regular basis, and I can say that it was one of the nicer ak-47's that I have shot.

To each their own, I guess, have a good one (day).

They are crap! My dad had one and the barrel was BENT. :ded: He ended up trading it and a yugo m70 for a desert eagle.

You say all are crap or just the one that your dad had pick up by random. I have heard a lot of negative stuff on the STG-2000c, but I own and shoot one on a regular basis, and I can say that it was one of the nicer ak-47's that I have shot.

To each their own, I guess, have a good one (day).

He may have gotten the bad one out of the bunch, but I dont think I'll buy one with that kind of QC. I will however say that the buttstock was very nice.

• 1 month later...
This reply may be to late to give useful information to the person who asked if the stg-2000c is worth any investment. First I have heard plenty of negative comments on the stg-2000c, mainly that it is wobbly and that it does not accept steel mags. I bought mine in early 2008, when this question was first published, and that was the first thing I noticed when I barked off 30 rounds of sweet ak power was that it was wobbly. But after being told by many that the steel mags would work only with gunsmithing to the gun I bought some steel mags of different origin, Bulgarian, Russian, and Hungarian, and they all worked flawlessly. I tested full mags and never had one glitch, something you expect from an Ak-47. And the steel mags took the wobble out of the gun. The steel mags fit snug into the gun, the US-made polymer mags fit loosely and give it a bad reputation. So to answer the question of if this is a worthwhile ak-variant, I would say most definitely. I bought the side rail mount and put a trujicon red-dot on the mount, and I can shoot no more than 4" groups at 75 yards with wolf ammo or military surplus, and shoot almost 2 1/2' groups with seller and belloit ammo which is loaded more consistently. The reason why I bought a stg instead of an "original' ak-47 is because the feel of the gun fit my larger framed body better and it had chromed-lined barrel, and is US made,except the Romainian receiver it is built upon. I hope I turned someone's eye to the Stg-2000c. Thank and support your local gun store.