Flash Suppressor Preference

Flash Suppressor  

44 members have voted

1. 1. We are planing our next production 7.62, which would you like to see on it?

• Vortex AK-47/AKM Flash Suppressor
    • AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake
    • threaded barrel w/ thread protector

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, out of those 3 choices, I'll take the Vortex. If I had my own 3 choices, they'd be:

1. TROMIX Shark Brake (okay, it's not a flash suppressor I admit):

sharkz1-sm.jpg

2. Smith Enterprise, Inc. Vortex Flash Eliminator:

SE-Vortex_M240a.lg.jpg

3. Yankee Hill Machine Company, Inc. Phantom AK Flash Hider:

YHM-33.jpg

And if you were to toss out #1, then the replacement would be:

1a. Tabuk style flash hider:

NDS-28web.jpg

I know it wasn't mentioned, but I'd like to see an AK-74 style brake made for the 7.62X39 in a 22X1.50LH thread. I live in a ban state and if I were to thread my barrel it would mean losing my pistol grip or detachable magazine. I thought about doing the Raddlock deal but unlike california, New Jersey does not give you a definition of a detachable magazine. The state police were unable to give me any kind of a real definition as well. I know where I can get Romanian front sight blocks with the 22mm threads on them that only have to be opened up about .060" which shouldn't be a big deal and according to the ATF the 22mm threaded front sight blocks don't count as threaded barrels because there are no flash supressors or silencers made int his thread.

It's just something to consider.

74 break... they work great.

....but only if they're designed after the real mccoy. The one pictured is only good for a 922r satisfying muzzle device (although I guess it would add some weight to the front of the rifle).

A 'real' AK74 brake has an expansion chamber and staggered ports around the circumference. The above item only resembles a "real" Ak74 brake, with a very small percentage of the function of an actual '74 brake. It is also smaller than the actual AK74 brake.

Actual AK74 brakes.

DSCF0007.jpgDSCF010.jpg

Muzzle adapters are used to attach these to 14x1LH threads. These adapters are sold alongside the correct US made clones.

....but only if they're designed after the real mccoy. The one pictured is only good for a 922r satisfying muzzle device (although I guess it would add some weight to the front of the rifle).

A 'real' AK74 brake has an expansion chamber and staggered ports around the circumference. The above item only resembles a "real" Ak74 brake, with a very small percentage of the function of an actual '74 brake. It is also smaller than the actual AK74 brake.

Actual AK74 brakes.

DSCF0007.jpgDSCF010.jpg

Muzzle adapters are used to attach these to 14x1LH threads. These adapters are sold alongside the correct US made clones.

Yeah the AK74 break we are looking at is the Tapco, I can get them cheap in bulk from tapco. they are just abit more than what a thread protector costs me. I think I'll just rename it AK74 style thread protector. You can alway unscrew it and put on the 'real deal'.

Actual AK74 brakes.

DSCF0007.jpgDSCF010.jpg

Yeah the AK74 break we are looking at is the Tapco, I can get them cheap in bulk from tapco. they are just abit more than what a thread protector costs me. I think I'll just rename it AK74 style thread protector. You can alway unscrew it and put on the 'real deal'.

Also, I think I will piss off all the saigaholics if I started buy up all the k-var inventory for production guns.

I know it wasn't mentioned, but I'd like to see an AK-74 style brake made for the 7.62X39 in a 22X1.50LH thread. I live in a ban state and if I were to thread my barrel it would mean losing my pistol grip or detachable magazine. I thought about doing the Raddlock deal but unlike california, New Jersey does not give you a definition of a detachable magazine. The state police were unable to give me any kind of a real definition as well. I know where I can get Romanian front sight blocks with the 22mm threads on them that only have to be opened up about .060" which shouldn't be a big deal and according to the ATF the 22mm threaded front sight blocks don't count as threaded barrels because there are no flash supressors or silencers made int his thread.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from. What we want to do standardize so we keep cost low while adding features to our gun.

Leo, I understand what you're saying and I do realize that you're trying to do production work and not custom one off's. What I'm saying that it while there is a small market for what I'm looking for, I think people would be willing to pay a premium for it seeing as they don't really have any other options. I know I would personally be willing to pay the extra money for a correctly made and fully functioning 74 style brake for my application.

My vote seemed to registar in the wrong colum. I have used the Smith Vortex on more than one platform. It's a favorite of mine. It does kill bukoo flash. Makes a considerable difference when using good NV. Also quieter on the shooters end than the A2 hider, and the brakes I've tried.

My vote seemed to registar in the wrong colum. I have used the Smith Vortex on more than one platform. It's a favorite of mine. It does kill bukoo flash. Makes a considerable difference when using good NV. Also quieter on the shooters end than the A2 hider, and the brakes I've tried.

Yeah we, did a small test. with the tapco slant, tapco ak74 "style', and the vortex.

The vortex was my personal favorite.

Okay, I'll read up on it

So where can we purchase the real AK74 brakes? :D

F A Enterprises sell one through brownells and the description reads

"Russian military pattern provides effective flash and recoil control. For 7.62mm, pre-ban, AK-47 pattern rifles with 14mm-1.0 left-hand thread barrels. AK-74 splits the flash. Open chamber with 6 gas ports keeps muzzle rise to a minimum."

It might be more "authentic" than the tapco, and is still a US part.

"Russian military pattern provides effective flash and recoil control. For 7.62mm, pre-ban, AK-47 pattern rifles with 14mm-1.0 left-hand thread barrels. AK-74 splits the flash. Open chamber with 6 gas ports keeps muzzle rise to a minimum."

It's the same part.

It's the same part.

Thanks, I'll cancel my order for one

A good brake AK74 or better say ak100 style brake is the Krebs one

USA made and about 65 bucks, now if you can get a hold of Chris butler at AK-USA

he made SS brakes ak74 style not cheap but good. And I don't mean the tapco crapco .

By the way Krebs stuff is not cheap but is quality, like they say, you get what you pay for

and his AK rear sight rail system is out about 275.00 to the public.

Edited by vjor

A Solution would be to make an adapters similar to the one below. Rather then it being threaded on the inside its bored out to slide over the saiga barrel and then pinned in to place. This will let you use the 22x1.5 accessories.

If I sell enough guns this quarter, I'll take my profit and invest in a lathe.

This is just an idea, if anyone wants to do it, check your local laws

post-9412-1203480742.jpg

I like the idea of the press on sleeve with the set screws. I currently have a sleeve in front of my sights block but have no problem removing it. So if I understand correctly, you're saying that you might be able to make a press on sleeve that will have the outside threaded in 22X1.50LH. The only thing left that that point is to find a brake in that thread with a large enough hole for my 7.62mm bullet to pass through.

An exact recreation of the AK74 muzzle device, this is a two chambered brake that actually works to dramatically reduce felt recoil.

Thats not a US part? Is it the same one that K-VAR sells?

Krebs brakes are US parts.

I like the idea of the press on sleeve with the set screws. I currently have a sleeve in front of my sights block but have no problem removing it. So if I understand correctly, you're saying that you might be able to make a press on sleeve that will have the outside threaded in 22X1.50LH. The only thing left that that point is to find a brake in that thread with a large enough hole for my 7.62mm bullet to pass through.

this should work for you

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?prod...=286&page=1

its a 762 and it pins on.

Doesn't Dinzag sell slip-on muzzle brakes?

this should work for you

yeah, its nice, but its $80/w the adapter and it out of stock.

I want to add features to my guns with out increasing the price greatly.

Candidates for items on my production guns must cost me under $40 and the supplier has inventory to supply my production. I want to keep all parts I add to the gun US made, and the manufacture must have product liability insurance. Its america, people like to sue.

I have a Dealer account with K-var to supply stocks but I switch to tapco just because they have a more reliable availability of their inventory.

another concern is I want to be symbiotic with the saiga community. I don't want to make a beloved rare part even rarer

this should work for you

yeah, but its more for look then function

Okay, now for indexing,

<snip>

2. Plunger pin

<snip>

If you're gonna do it, do it right. A plunger pin will allow folks to change out their muzzle devices if necessary (also a good thing for cleaning purposes).
Okay, now for indexing,

<snip>

2. Plunger pin

<snip>

If you're gonna do it, do it right. A plunger pin will allow folks to change out their muzzle devices if necessary (also a good thing for cleaning purposes).

That is how I feel, but I am only one half of the company, and the other half is leaning toward vortex with a peal washer. I put the loctite in there as a bad joke.