Zero Problems

Wish this meant I had 'zero' problems with the .308 Saiga. Well, I don't, actually, but my son does. He bought his Saiga .308 based on my very positive experience with the .410 and has had a lot of hunting success with it -- last year he got two blacktail deer and an elk with only three rounds. This year he got one blacktail with one round. The problem? Getting that doggone thing zero'd with a scope. He has tried two different mounts, two scopes and a red dot sight. The best he can get is the rifle groups about 7" to the right and 3" low at 100 yards. The rifle is, according to him, 'right on' at 100 yards with the open sights. He's been getting his deer and the elk by using Kentucky windage.

What's going on? Anyone know how he can remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance.

sounds like he needs to shim his scope mount if its a siderail mount. Ive seen other guys in here complain of sighting in problems and there have been a few remedies on this board posted with pics somewheres if one were to search. he might also try a russian made scope, also from what ive seen on here, guys are claiming they have a LOT more adjustability range to them than thier american or german made counterparts.

Edited by Bvamp

I got a 4-8x42 illuminated scope for my Saiga 308. It was easy to zero and holds the zero when i unmount and mount the scope. Two weeks ago I went shooting and mounted the scope about four times( getting in and out of the truck and setting up in different places) and still hit a 12"x20" target at 500 yards with the first shot. IMPRESSIVE! I'm excited at least.

My scope came from Russia

posp.ru

The scope was $148 and 3 different colored lamps for it for$4 apiece, all of it arived within ten days at my doorstep in Texas.

Just email them and ask about different scopes because they didn't even list mine but have alot of differnt things in stock.

This setup is trouble free with my 308 and it is fool proof!

I went to sight my rifle in sunday. I can get it within a 3" circle but it shoots to the right of the bulls eye about 1" every time. I have a belaurus mount and a cheap simmons 8 point scope. It will adjust up and down but will not go any farther to the left. I guess shims is the answer to my problem but deer season opens here saturday. I'll just have to aim a little to the left till the season ends.

Edited by jtoddellis

Ok what your saying is the scope is still off and your out of adjustment right?? The scope has to be on an angle because the adjustment ranout. I would look down the centerline of the bore and try to see which way the scope is angled. Now it could be a scope problem too because i have found some scopes don't have enough adjustment I bottomed out the adjusting screw before it was even bore sighted. I switched to a better scope and it had more adjustment. But i would check the centerline to make sure the mount is parallell to the bore first. I would uae a small level to level the barrel(top of the reciever first) then install the scopemount and see how much off it is? :rolleyes: UKP

Are you bore sighting it?? On guns I can't bore sight I would take the bolt out and adjust the scope to a branch or a wire, something off in a distance you can see thru the barrel at the sametime and adjust the scope to it, then sight it in at the range dead on. It should put you in the ballpark and on the paper at the range.

Edited by Unknown Poster

The scope bore sighted just fine. Verry little ajustment was necessary. I think the mount is alot of my problem. At first with every shot my mount was moving so I tightened it up and now you can't even remove it. I have heard alot of bad about the belarus mounts. Are ther russian scopes worth the price? Which ones are reccomended.

Jtoddellis

I have had a lot of problems with Simmons scopes; I have had a lot of scopes mounts

for ak and saigas, the Belarus is not the best out there, but to this day, I have not had

troubles with one, just the usual.

The less expensive scope I have use on saigas have been a Tasco 3x9x40

cost 29.00 bucks at Wal-Mart or a BSA that is cheap and still work.

Now if you have a 308 rifle I will put a Russian 8 x 42 or if you have the money

4x8x42 they are worth it. this included an illuminated reticule and a range finder

built on the scope.

for the price of a mount and a dissent scope, you can get a Russian scope

and the reticule is made for the cantilever or side mount of the saigas and ak.

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/ak_svd_scopes.htm

http://www.akoptics.com/index.asp

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

plus you can see my post on tantal prices on items for sale or trade.

sounds like he needs to shim his scope mount if its a siderail mount.

My son is, indeed using a siderail mount. The first one was part of a package deal (side mount and red dot sight) from CDNN. It was 'bargain' priced and, I suppose, supports the old saw about you get what you pay for. He's already gone the shim route. Present shims he cut from, of all things, a hose clamp -- and you know how thick those things are. And it still won't zero.

vjor -- He may have to do as you suggest and get an actual Russian-made side mount and scope.

Thanks to all who have chimed in.

The Belarus made mount will work fine on one of the Romanian AK's but will not maintain zero on the Russian side rail. Big difference in design. No matter how tight you adjust the Belarus scope mount to a Russian rail, the mount will slide forward under recoil.

these guys are from russia and the shipping is included in thier prices. They are also the cheapest variable power scopes. Email them and ask about any other russian scope, odds are they got it and the price is right! ask them to make sure it will fit the saiga rail, too( as there are three or four different configs for different rifles. They will know and they will help you.

posp.ru