Making my own furniture need imput

I am a trim carpenter by trade so I decided to try an make some wood furniture for my new saiga .I made a pistol grip yesterday and I am pleased with how it turned out but I'm perty sure i dont need to use it as it is just a pistol grip. It was realy just a test to see how hard it would be to make it fit the gun.Now that I know I can make furniture fit I am going to try an make a real nice set .I need imput on the difrent styles of stocks.I dont like regular ak stuff and I'm more interested in the thumbhole stocks an such.If you have an odd wood stock or know a web site with some plz post pics/links. I am probly going to use stratabond composite wood or make my own colored layered laminate from some burled red oak my uncle has.Any help would be appreciated.

I am a trim carpenter by trade so I decided to try an make some wood furniture for my new saiga .I made a pistol grip yesterday and I am pleased with how it turned out but I'm perty sure i dont need to use it as it is just a pistol grip. It was realy just a test to see how hard it would be to make it fit the gun.Now that I know I can make furniture fit I am going to try an make a real nice set .I need imput on the difrent styles of stocks.I dont like regular ak stuff and I'm more interested in the thumbhole stocks an such.If you have an odd wood stock or know a web site with some plz post pics/links. I am probly going to use stratabond composite wood or make my own colored layered laminate from some burled red oak my uncle has.Any help would be appreciated.

Some thumbhole stocks:

bs_ak_plastic.jpg

slrthumbholestock.jpg

stock.jpg

Perhaps with a galil-styled handguard (maybe with rails fit into the sides/top)

pix549157625.jpg

Or Yugo-style fore grips or peds

Romania%20AK47%20real%20wood%20foregrip%20set.jpg

I've made my own furniture out of pine and white oak so far. Have some nice birch that might turn into a stock sooner or later, maybe with rosewood ribbing or inlays and a nice varnish. Got any pics of the pistol grips?

Edited by Folkien

Ok I decided to modify the pistol grip into a full stock .I still have to make a hand guard an finish them.I'm perty sure these are going to be unique at least till I make a friend a pair : ) I tryed to take a pic with my phone but its not sending it to my email when I try so I will use a friends camera when I'm finished.

Ok I finished pics inc as soon as I can get a decent camera!

Edited by rmax
cool! check your parts counts.

+1 :ph34r:

Cool lookin stuff though!

WOW Folkien that's some sweet lookin laminate AND walnut there too! :super:

I've got this curly oak log I cut, from a tree that fell by the creek, that I would like to make some furniture out of. I need to get my big bandsaw back up and running so I can start turning out some cool stuff out of trees. It's a big cast iron monster with a 24" throat. You can rip a sheet of plywood in half with it or saw lumber from 12" trees no problem...lol. Just need to get the 3 phase motor hooked up in my shop...

Anyway here's a piece of that oak log. I think it's got some cool furniture hiding inside. :smoke:

post-1293-1204174908_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204174925_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1204174938_thumb.jpg

DUDE, get that thing into a curing spot WTF?

whats that sucker doing outside.....cure it for two years the right way, so it dont split the grain.........thats one cool grain man.....Im jealous. I left a bunch of burl blanks in NY, due to lack of space. I gave some of the best ones to an American Indian sculpter, at least. I know it all wasnt just burnt up in someone's fireplace.

that needs to be blanked right, or you will have a problem, as well, from what I can see. Let me know if you need any help with getting it "prepped" into a blank right.......its too bad it wasnt split the OTHER way :) part of the reason quartersawn is so expensive compared to like species of good wood cuts is because it should be cured right before it is cut on the bandsaw with the grain....and also partiall the size of the bandsaw that cuts it.

Look forward to seeing what you pull out of your wood pile, Cobra, and what ya do with it!

...the "perks" of heating with wood huh?

Edited by Bvamp
i'm sorry but i'd hesitate to call u a carpenter of any sort. :eek:

Perhaps "U" would like to show off some of your own fine craftsmanship there vlad? If not then go over to barfcom with your trolling bullshit posts.

i'm sorry but i'd hesitate to call u a carpenter of any sort. :eek:

Perhaps "U" would like to show off some of your own fine craftsmanship there vlad? If not then go over to barfcom with your trolling bullshit posts.

LOL

:super:

Get Him!

LOL

Edited by dodgeturbointerceptor

I made two sets a year or so ago. They worked fairly well, had some trouble with the front "retainer" pin but I think anyone that has ever worked on saiga forearms knows what I'm talking about.

My first try

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/40600102.jpg

With a darker red finish

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/css...wholefamily.jpg

A metal butt stock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/css...aigaMIstock.jpg

Self explanatory

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/IMG_1735.jpg

A WASR-2 that I HAD to fix by epoxying the "wood" and painting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/IMG_1900.jpg

Edited by csspecs

LOL Vlad I am a carpenter and a damn good one or at least thats my opinion. These are just sorta ruff prototypes . The forearm was way rushed just because the plastic didnt match the nuty stock I made .I made a new handguard this weekend that looks alot better

and I'm gona work on a new stock thats not just thrown together to. When I come up with somthing I'm realy happy with I'll make it out of some wallnut .I will post pic's of the new hanguard soon and I dont mind the criticism just dont think you can tell how good of a carpenter I am from the first wood furniture I threw together in a weekend.