Saiga 20.5 barrel vs SKS

Hey, folks. I am in a bit of a bind here. For the same price I can pick up either Saiga 7.62x39 (20.5 inch barrel) or SKS. I have no issues with using stripper clips to load my SKS. In fact, I am confident that I can load a stripper clip in faster then most people can load a magazine. The price is about the same.

Now, anyone compared those two in terms of accuracy? Also, there are few SKS on the market:

1) Soviet Made

2) Yugo Made

3) Chinese made with milled receiver and screwed in barrel

4) Chinese made with stamped receiver and pinned barrel

5) Albanian

6) Romanian

Anyone knows which of those SKS is the best in terms of accuracy (as far as SKS can be accurate), also anyone knows how would SKS compare to Saiga?

Thanx

Proud Owner of: Imbel FN/FAL, PTR-91, Norinco Hunter, SVT-40

Hey, folks. I am in a bit of a bind here. For the same price I can pick up either Saiga 7.62x39 (20.5 inch barrel) or SKS. I have no issues with using stripper clips to load my SKS. In fact, I am confident that I can load a stripper clip in faster then most people can load a magazine. The price is about the same.

Now, anyone compared those two in terms of accuracy? Also, there are few SKS on the market:

1) Soviet Made

2) Yugo Made

3) Chinese made with milled receiver and screwed in barrel

4) Chinese made with stamped receiver and pinned barrel

5) Albanian

6) Romanian

Anyone knows which of those SKS is the best in terms of accuracy (as far as SKS can be accurate), also anyone knows how would SKS compare to Saiga?

Thanx

Proud Owner of: Imbel FN/FAL, PTR-91, Norinco Hunter, SVT-40

I'm no expert, but if I was in the market for an SKS I'd opt for the Russian SKS hands down. They are the best of the best in SKS's. They have threaded barrels (chromed), machined receivers, and usually come with a laminate stock. There are two types that I know of. Used in good condition, and re-arsenaled. The latter will have a black coating of sorts, while the former is blued steel.

In the accuracy department it's up to the individuals skill, and the ammo used. I don't think there will be that much of a difference between a Russian SKS and a Saiga.

Last year at this time I went through the same thing. A Saiga verses a real nicey nice Russian SKS. Long story short, the Saiga won, and I've not looked back since until your recent post. The determining factor in my decision was due to the limited choices there is to mount an optical sighting aid to an SKS and make it work. My eyes are older now and I need the help. With the Sagia it's not an issue.

Up until recently ultimak now makes a gas tube rail for the SKS's. That may have swayed my choice at the time because it's a darn good solid mount, and there are not as many 922r issues to contend with.

If on the other hand, it's not a Russian SKS that you are comparing, then there is no contest IMHO; the Saiga wins.

Edited by MacMan

There are many variables, but one tangable one you can try is the trigger. My russian SKS, although beautiful, has a pretty rigid trigger. My Yugo M70 with G2 outshoots the SKS. But maybe that SKS you viewing isn't bad. Ask if you can feel the triggers of each first.

A trigger job can imrove many SKS'. If you plan on converting the Saiga, then I think the Saiga will win in the end.

I thought only Chinese and Romanian SKS's have Chromed barrels. Pretty sure my Russian is not.

I really like my Chinese. It has adequate accuracy, dependable, easy to load stripper clips, relatively light weight compared to the Yugo, and plenty of spare parts (something to think about in the long run).

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/sksshootout/index.asp

This website did a head to head shoutout comparing several SKS's and found the chinese to be most accurate.

Saiga is great as well but I bought mine in 308.

russian SKS is most sought after and most expensive, look at bob cogan's SKS's they are done up fancy but he says, they are not meant for target shooting at a distance, and i would suspect there is NOT a accuracy difference b/c i don't beleive the barrel harmonics to be difference between the 2, IF YOU CAN FIND A SKS model 41 from russian, buy it and sit on it, they were chambered in 7.62X54R. other then that....get a saiga =D

btw, that cogan SKS:

http://www.apwcogan.com/SKS%20Page.htm

if u had said 16" barrel i'd say saiga........now a 20" isn't something i would buy. so the sks wins hands down, u aren't gonna get an akm(ak74m) to match an sks for accuracy. buy the russian, leave bone stock.......nothing better. but if u want an ak.........then buy a 16" saiga and convert the PROPER way.....none of this fuglyness that some people do these days.

u already have a norinco hunter.........what more could u want?

Yes, I love the Norinco Hunter. In fact, that is the only AK rifle in 7.62x39 that I am getting. The trigger in really good. However, I woud like to get a collection of Soviet weapons or weapons based on them. I already have SVT-40, Mosin rifle, TT-33 (I have polish one), Norinco Hunter is my AKM. I will be getting an SKS, no questions about it. I just want to get the best SKS for the money. However, my next purchase will be PPSh. SKS are plentiful. They can wait.

Unfortunately I do not have enough money to get a DP-28 or RDP.

The 20.5 inch Saiga can be converted to look like an RPK. The SKS is a good rifle, I like the Yugo one even thought it's not chrome lined.

It depends on the prices and on availability or if you can afford it why not both rifles? I haven't seen too many Romanian SKS rifles and the Chinese ones are too expensive. The Yugo is the least expensive and well made rifle and has a teak wood stock. The Albanian SKS parts are different than the other SKS rifles.

I have the Saiga with the 16 inch barrel and a Yugo SKS w/grenade launcher.

The SKS has a tighter group but often 1 out of 10 rds will tumble, probably the last round getting upset by the bolt recoil and hitting the launcher.

The Saiga is lighter and easier to strip and clean and fine for hunting at closer ranges. Both are fun to shoot though I'd recommend getting a launcherless SKS since launching tennis balls from it is fun once but the blanks are corrosive and it takes a lot of cleaning afterwards and so it gets old fast.