Is 7.62 NATO ammo corrosive? A local dealer told me that it was and that all miltary ammo is corrosive, even if it says it isnt. I dont believe him but some input from other would be nice. Thanks.

Also, why is it called ball ammunition? Is it anything like steel core ammo or what? Thanks for any info.

Eric

Some military ammo is corrosive, some isn't. If it says it isn't then I'd trust it. Besides if it is corrosive, clean your barrel with soapy water, then rinse with hot water. Thats all it takes, the reputation of corrosive ammo being hard to clean comes from the fact that the corrosive matertial is not oil soluable and doesn't clean up with solvent.

As for ball Ammo, it is general purpose ammo, Full Metal Jacket. Steel cored ammo is more common in Russia, and parts of Europe. Anything ment to penetrate steel will be marked as such. Beware of anything with a colored tip that is ussually special purpose stuff.

you will find corrosive ammo in old lots of ammo that manufactures are trying to

get rid off, some of the corrosive ammo comes from Spain, Portugal and some other countries in Europe and south America.

New ammo, cheetah, wolf and new manufacture from Europe and south American

ammo is not corrosive like Vern say use soapy water and hot water to clean barrel

or Windex, after that clean barrel as usual.

One more thing, is a surplus ammo that comes from Germany that has higher

chamber pressure and the full metal jacket will share the jacket and go apart

on what aver you hit with it, that goes for .308 only.

Apart from that, ball ammo is just full metal jacket.

I've got 40 rounds of 7.62x54R ammo that has a kinda yellowish color on the tips. The cases are a brass color and the bullets look like copper but I don't think they are tracers. They came in paper packs of 2 rounds and were wrapped in twine. Does anyone know what they might be? Thanks.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

bvamp is right.

yellow is heavy ball.

silver on yellow is heavy steel core.

silver is light steel core.

no color is light ball i believe.

aim surplus lists the colors and what they represent on the ammo they carry.

i found a chart somewhere that listed all the different colors.

there is a ton of em!

as far as the corrosive ammo thing goes, i've been shooting norinco 308.

i believe it is newer production (mid 90s). it states non-corrosive on the box but have been skeptical.

anyone familiar with the norinco stuff.

found alot of it local for cheap.

but dont want it if it's even the slightest corrosive

I DON"T TRUST ANY IMPORTED AMMO THAT SAYS "NON CORROSIVE" IT COULD BE LABELED JUST TO SELL TO US!!!!!! DON'T BE FOOLED AND SORRY LATER!!! i CLEAN EVERYTHING THE SAME WETHER IT SAYS NON CORROSIVE OR NOT EVEN IF ITS A MILITARY SURPLUS GUN OR A MODERN GUN THEY ALL GET CLEANED RIGHT AFTER SHOOTING THIS WAY I'M SAFE NO MATTER WHAT. ITS JUST A HABIT I GOT INTO!!! DON'T BE FOOLED!!!!

With that said I just run wet patches with G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner thru it till they come out clean, then a few dry ones to wipe it out, then i use G.I. Weapons Oil for cold temps its thinner. I buy both from colemanssurplus.com he's the cheapest around.

hey gunslinger, i said that it is cheap but it's not that cheap.

put it this way.

it's cheap b/c i buy in small quantities.(100-150 rounds)

it would be cheaper to order a 500 round case than buy 500 rounds local.

but, it would be cheaper to buy 100 rounds local than to order 100 rounds.

ya'll all know how the ammo thing goes.

i'm gonna keep on using this norinco stuff but like what was posted, i'll just clean like it is corrosive and there goes the worries.

i dont trust the "chrome lined bore" scapegoat.

i used to have an mak90 that was chrome lined and i ran some corrosive cheap junk through it. it was my first ak so i didn't know about the corrosive ammo thing. that bore looked like a piece of railing off the titanic. almost couldn't see the rifling. and a guy actually bought the thing from me for $400! i know what ya'll are thinking. it wasn't some gang banger punk. it was a guy i knew for awhile. i wouldn't ruin things for us legit gun owners.

happy shooting ya'll