i just finished an appleseed course http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ yesterday and OMG is my body sore (lol). i have formal army basic training in which i scored expert marksman. i decided to take this course as a refresher, boy! they tought me more about how to shoot than basic trainning did.it cut my shot grps in 1/2 ! WoW!! if you have only had basic training markmanship or less trainning I HIGHLY RECOMMEND every1 go to one of these. keep checking the schedule a course may pop up close to you.

they are an all volunteer so they are not makeing anything from doing this.they use land from us who would like to learn rifleman skills and trainers will travel several 100's of miles to come teach your grp even if only 5 ppl show up. they will teach you the skill you need to become a rifleman. you will walk away knowing that you are shooting better.they will look hard at what your doing, and if its wrong they will show you how to fix the problem. they show you how to shoot in differnt postions and how to use your sling properly.shoot and change mag's and shoot more under a time limit..ect. they also during lunch talk about our fore fathers and what they really had to go through for us to have our freedoms.and what it took to qualify as a rifleman back then. it is important that we all not only know true rifleman skills, but to teach those skills to the next genertation.

if you want to improve your skills with a rifle you need to look into this sight. it will make you shoot better :killer:

Edited by Cryptkeeper

I read an article written by some dude that was a appleseed guy, he seemed kinda kooky, but the whole principle seemed pretty cool to me. It's basically about using the rifle in it's most basic form, no scopes, no fancy equipment, just a rifle and some iron sight, right?

no you can use a scope the skill they teach you you have to use with or without a scope. they usually use only a 25 yrd range so you can use a .22 for it no problem. and ppl had ar's m14's alot of 10/22 mini 14's also a few bolt action mach .17 even 1 with an SKS (who ended up shooting very good grp with it). no matter what you use and the bells and whistles you got on it you still have to use the basic rifleman skills in order to shoot the weapon right.they will not let us use a bipod though that because you are learning how to shoot unsupported. no matter how good of a weapon you got if the shooter doesnt know how to shoot it is a waste of money. the land owner had his 8 year old boy and his 15yr old daughter out there and they learned to shoot pretty good. im willing to bet that girl can out shoot all the men on this board who has never had any formal training. she is shooting good now. if you want to learn to shoot better this is a must go to,you will walk away knowing you do shoot better

Edited by Cryptkeeper

Hmm... I wanted to go to one a while back, but an ex-military forum member steered me away, saying I wouldn't get much more than I got at BRM in the Army. There's one nearby THIS weekend, and it's free to AD Military...............

I may have to hit it up.

FYI - you will need about 400 rounds of ammo (not the cheapest stuff right now if you are shooting .223) and basic shooting gear shuch as a shooting mat, ear protection, etc.

Nope, if I go my ammo will end in "x39". I have plenty of time logged shooting AR's at silhouettes, time to see if I can outshoot the Iraqi Army with their own shit. :D

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like it will be painful

Edited by shaneman153a
I am signed up for the Toccoa, GA class on March 29-30...

Several of us are talking about going for the weekend. It is a great brush-up on your skills course as well! See you there!

this is a MUST bring Ibuprofen and take it at lunch break beacuse if you dont by the time you get to the last shoot to quilify your back is going to be hurting take it to give yourself a better chance at a higher score. i would take a .22 it is just as good and alot cheaper on the ammo. and no1 really cares what weapon you got,specially if you got a 10/22 and can out shoot that guy with the m14 (lol) remmber the targets are only 25 yrds away. look at their what to bring list.

Edited by Cryptkeeper

Yes, they are AK friendly. I went to one in KY last year, only got to do the first day. Had a great time, learned some stuff, and it was a good refresher. There was one young guy there with an AK74 and shot very well with it (while wearing a ballistic helmet, load bearing vest, etc. ???????????) Anyway, good time. They stress range safety above all and are very strict about it.