Modifying G2 Trigger Group

Hey I had a question about the hammer of the G2 trigger group. I filed off the triangular part at the base of the hammer (base being where the axle pin goes through it) but there's another possible problem with the hammer. When the bolt comes back it seems to catch towards the top of the hammer or so I think. Should I file down that part a little and if so how much, anyone have a picture of theirs? I just don't want to file off too much and have to lose another $40 down the drain. Thanks for the help, almost done with my first conversion!

Lay the hammers side by side & note the differences in profile.

She will be very smooth if you match the profile of the G2 to the factory hammer.

Then polish out the parting lines on all the contact surfaces. :up:

Hmm, so filing down the triangular part won't mess anything up will it? If I put it along side with the old hammer there is a subtle difference but should I take the risk to file it down, or is it best to let it fix itself, I just don't see how it would but we'll see. I just want dependable action, after all that's what AKs are renowned for, thanks nalioth and the rest.

or is it best to let it fix itself, I just don't see how it would but we'll see.

It would wear down the part that is catching the bolt carrier after shooting it some. Is the carrier actually "sticking" when you're firing it? If so, then maybe filing is in order. If it's only catching when you're manually racking the bolt, and not when firing, I would let it be. But that's just my .02 :D .

Yeah, the bolt getting hung up when manually racking it slowly is normal. Everyone says that it will wear itself out in time and stop doing that, but I know mine still does it. I've got about 2,000 rounds through it since the conversion and it will still get hung up every time. The thing you've got to remember is that you're racking the bolt very very slowly, even if it's as fast as you possibly can compared to it getting racked via gas. It should fire and cycle just fine.

Yeah, the bolt getting hung up when manually racking it slowly is normal. Everyone says that it will wear itself out in time and stop doing that, but I know mine still does it. I've got about 2,000 rounds through it since the conversion and it will still get hung up every time. The thing you've got to remember is that you're racking the bolt very very slowly, even if it's as fast as you possibly can compared to it getting racked via gas. It should fire and cycle just fine.

+1. Even with the stock FCG, mine would hang up when manually cycling it, but not when firing it.

Edited by 22_Shooter

Obviously, it depends on how much you filed down left side. You know that you can use the Saiga hammer.

If you look at the Saiga hammer left side leg, you will notice that there is a "bevel". The axial pin "shoulders" into this bevel. If you haven't cut off too much, the axial pin will space the hammer away from the left side receiver the same amount. The unknown is if the extra space between the hammer leg and frame will allow the hammer spring to bind into the space. I doubt if it will, but I haven't done this to prove whether or it will.

If someone filed the left mammer leg down for an s12 conversion accidently instead of the right leg, would it still be usable? Sorry to hijack, but I need to know, thanks.