To be or not to be

I have a Remington 700 BDL, and really don't care for it much. I use it for field hunting in Arkansas where my max range is around 250 m. My question is would I be as well off with a saiga 308? I hunted mostly with a Romanian AK this year since my open fields were not productive, and love the size and feel of an AK. Is the Saiga accurate enough for 250 m? Is it as reliable as an AK? If so, which model is most like the AK 47 in weight and balance?

Keep the Remington for the hunt. The Saiga 308 is pretty good out to 100 yards or so but I would not use it for 200 or further yard shots. Accuracy is simply not there for long range clean kills. It is, however, a very reliable piece. I have run handloads and surplus ammunition through it and never had any difficulties or misfires. The design is pure AK, just a little heavier built than the 7.62X39's. Hence the reliability and mediocre accuracy. Stick with the bolt actions for clean hunting.

One thing I might be able to point out without owning a S308, is that you would have a good chance of taking a follow up shot desipte the recoil from the round at the lower end of the range spectrum, as well as closer up running shots at the animal. A bolt gun just cant do this well or even at all if you ask me.

If you want a long shot saiga/308 go for the 22" barrel!!!!! I'm very happy with my saiga 308 w/16" barrel. I bought it for hunting with too. Its a great tree stand gun and the syn stock and AK reliability/dependability sure makes it an attractive hunting gun. The only other gun i may buy is a weatherby on sale at walmart $250??? But the semi auto has me hooked on saiga's.

Edited by Unknown Poster
  • 1 year later...

Great thread, so has anyone read about or conducted any hunting ammo accuracy comparisons in the S-308? Got any links? The one nice thing about gun mags are those kind of tests because they can at least give you a good starting point in finding the perfect ammo and/or load for the gun in question.