Barrel length check

Just want to verify with a few of you before I start chopping what the proper way is to measure the barrel on a rifle. I dropped a cleaning rod down the barrel on a closed bolt and got 16 3/8". Oddly enough, I need to remove right at 3/8" to bring the muzzel brake I want to use against the front sight base. No margin for error. The other option is to make a spacer tha same diameter as the Tantal brake so it doesn't look so odd.

Not interesting yet Carlo, but getting there. I went from what would have been around a $900 build up, to something done from stuff sitting in my parts box except for the mag adapter. I can't get the adapter to work consistantly yet, but I put out a call for help and we'll see what our members know that I don't-probably going to amount to milling things down another .025".

As far as the barrel goes, I've got this dead space. Cut back and re-crown, or turn out a ring and press it on to fill the gap?

post-1866-1206244951_thumb.jpg

If U have a lathe, do a index nut for the brake

like the index sleeve I have on my guns, that will cover the

portion of the barrel that is expose and help U index the brake

if need more help PM me.

Edited by vjor

Bro to tell the truth, I will press the FSB off, cut the front and back,

leaving just a ring with the tower on it, enlarge the ring

to fit the barrel about one inch from were it sits, silver solder

the ring on barrel, threat the barrel to take a index sleeve

and index the muzzle brake that way plus the gun will look cooler

and the index sleeve will let U change brakes and flash hiders

as U want. By the way the gun will look like the WZ 96 Beryl, at list the front.

My 2 cents but what do I know.

Edited by vjor
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I had to grind the last 1/4" / 3/8" of tip threads down so they would fit INSIDE the brake... ( I have the Tantal brake on a .223 also) That left my barrel length the same as it came from the factory just a teeny bit THINNER at the tip. At least I THINK thats what I did on that one... I *KNOW* I never cut a barrel down... and there is NO barrel nut on there for indexing...

( Threadlock did that. LOL )

:smoke: