To paint or not to paint the inside of the reciever?

Well guys after about a year I am looking to finish up my shotty. Just curious if most people out there go ahead and refinish the inside of the reciever when doing the outside? I will be useing Aluma Hyde II in a matte black or OD. Still have'nt figured out which way I wanna go with this yet as far as the color scheme goes. Also I could'nt find any of those damn little black hole plugs localy any where so I had to order on line where there was a $10 minimum so I have a hundred( yes I said 100 hole plugs) of those coming now as well :ph34r:.

Thanks guys :devil:

Before you spray the aluma hyde, will you be prepping by media blasting, or by hand sanding? It's easy to blast the inside of the receiver, but a royal PITA to sand inside there (in which case, the factory paint is probably good enough).

I dont have a media blaster so this was going to be a hand event. I have a few ideas for the inside of the reciever that will probably work to make my life a little easier. I do have a dremel with a crap load of attatchments like a wire brush that should be able to strip the paint with out F'ing up to much.

I am still on the fence about doing the inside, even though there is some bare metal showing there is enough oil/lube in there to prevent any rust. I am also kinda concerned with the AHII, it does spray kinda thick. I am however a perfectionist so I will most likely paint the inside.

Update:

Decided not to do the inside of the reciever for now. I also decided to do a two-tone with black accents. So the reciever and barrel are now OD and the rest is black. Just got it sprayed down with the AHII, everything went smoothly. I also refinished the mag catch, trigger guard and bho.

s12paintod001iq4.jpg

s12paintod004og7.jpg

s12paintod005ho1.jpg

s12paintod009yr0.jpg

Edited by hunter121

It looks real nice, I'm not knocking your ability. But why didn't you do the area that will be under the handguard? If you wanted the rust protection that paint offers, this would be mandatory. Plus, you mentioned being a perfectionist. Suffering from that same affliction myself, I would've painted the rest of the barrel and gas tube, "just in case" somebody saw it.

It looks real nice, I'm not knocking your ability. But why didn't you do the area that will be under the handguard? If you wanted the rust protection that paint offers, this would be mandatory. Plus, you mentioned being a perfectionist. Suffering from that same affliction myself, I would've painted the rest of the barrel and gas tube, "just in case" somebody saw it.

I am still planing on painting the area you describe, but it will be black. I have to wait untill the OD drys before I tape it off so I can work in that area. In hind sight I should have sanded that whole area down with the rest of it and then taped it off. Now I have to be extra carefull not to screw up the OD paint when I am sanding it down. I already have all the little pieces done in the matte black and the only thing left is the area that is still the factory paint.

I will most likely wait untill next weekend before I screw with anything to make sure the AHII cures enough for me to screw around with it. Thats the only thing I dont like about the AHII, it takes awhile to cure.

Looking good!

Nice shop too.

I wouldn't paint the inside, just degrease it real good sometimes the oil comes out around the rivets and pins right when you don't want it to.

the reason why is all the action that happens in there will wear the paint off in certain areas, and the paint that is there now is most likely going to stick forever and handles all the oil, cleaning solvent and lube just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
So what's your method of painting? By brush, spray paint, or airbrush? Is an airbrush worth the investment? How much is a sandblaster? Can you rent or go to a shop to get it done for cheaper? Why is there a green flash right before and after sunrise/sunset?

The way I ended up doing it was with a cordless drill with a wire wheel to get the old paint off and then I used laquer thinner to clean everything up, then I taped off the areas that I did not want the paint. The Aluma hyde comes in a spray paint can so I just shook the crap out of it and went to town. It turned out pretty good except for where the dust cover goes on at. I must have missed a spot getting it cleaned up as it chiped away really easy right there. I will have some touching up to do, but its all fun and games :devil: .

I think the best route would be a airbrush with duracoat or something similar. A media blaster would have been nice but it only took me a hour or so with the wire wheel.

I think VKA does media blasting and painting for a good price if you dont want to do it yourself.

Hunter... Put some of those hole plugs up for sale on the forum.

A lot of folks can use them and may not be able to find them... I know they aren't worth much, but a 41 cent stamp and an envelope will get them to their destination, and you could make a few bucks in the long run... you have a hundred, you only need 4...

Have people send you a dollar in cash for each set of 4, and a self addressed stamped envelope and you will be all set! and they will too!!! :up: and a better price than they will pay for a trip to Lowes...

Just a thought...

:smoke:

Indy- I thought about it but my job is so uncertain that I would not be able to commit to something like that. I can get a call today and have to be on the road by tonight with my travel trailer heading across the U.S. to a job. I am often gone from home 8-10months at a time. I was thinking about a pay it forward kind of thing where I take what I want and send the rest off to the next person in line and so on and so forth. Still kinda thinking about doing that one.