Reloading Barnaul hulls

My recent post inquiring about components for reloading 410 shot shells was specifically about Barnaul steel hulls. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

If anyone knows of that thread I'd appreciate being lead to it.

Claypij

IIRC those barnaul steel hulls are berdan primed. Berdan primers are relatively pricey & hard to find in the states, and removing them can be a pain. I've never seen them as being worth reloading. My answer to reloading 410 is to buy some AA ammo, shoot them ,and then reload w/ whatever load I want to fill them w/. If you want all brass 410 hulls, they are out there, but pricey.

The proper components you need for relaoding are made by a company called Prodiz in Russia. The only problem is they will not ship to the US. And as stated above, Berdan primers are hard to come by here as well. I wish someone in Russia would stock up on them and hook us up...hint hint.... :ph34r:

Is there 3" AA?

I thought there was, but all I'm finding in a quick search is Super X which works fine w/ the right load data. There are plenty of available 3" 410 loads out there. Pick one w/ a good reloadable hull, find a load for that hull, and then get the wads, powder, & primers for it.

My recent post inquiring about components for reloading 410 shot shells was specifically about Barnaul steel hulls. Sorry for my lack of clarity.

If anyone knows of that thread I'd appreciate being lead to it.

Claypij

You can drill them out to take standard 209 shotgun primers. You will need two different drill bit sizes that have to be exactly right and superb hand eye cordination. Doing it with a drill press and/or a jig is easier then just a regular drill and holding the case with a gloved hand.

It's been a while since I've done this, I'll post again once I check my notes on exactly which two drill bit sizes you need to use. Now as far as components are concerned you will need some oversize card wads to put over the powder before putting the plastic wad in (conventional plastic wad is optional but makes patterns tighter) and some oversize over-shot cards. You buy those at Circle Fly Wads (Clickable Link). Again, I will go look in my notes and post later about exactly what size to get.

• 7 months later...