Insulating Handguards

I know heat build up can be a problem with the handguards. Does anybody know if the black silicone sealant that's usually sold at auto stores has any insulating properties. I don't know if it would work but I was thinking about covering the gun barrel with a plastic film also the inside of the handguard, next placing silicone along the inside of the handguard, then placing it over the barrel which would form a barrier between the two parts. When it dries remove the plastic film from both surfaces, trim of any excess silicone for cosmetic reasons and then place it between the barrel and handguard. If the silicone works on engines I figure it can take the heat of the barrel but I don't know how good it insulates?

Are you trying to keep the heat in or let it out?

sounds to me like youre trying to trap it on the barrel and in the hardguard, which is the opposite of what everyone else wants to do.

Edit: doh! i re read it and now i see what you want to do, you want to prevent the heat from getting to the handguard.

Why not just vent the handguard like everyone else?

Edited by SaigaShooter

you might try something like what AR15's use if you already have put vent holes in your handguard, which is an inner heat shield spaced off the handguard made of thin aluminum sheet metal. Pop a few vents in the sheet metal as well for vent holes, and you should be good to go. fastening the metal and bending it would be about the only trick to it I would think. I think what you are thinking of doing would overheat your barrel on you eventually in the long run. you want the heat OUT not IN.

Edited by Bvamp

yeh, i have heard stories of loaders pissing on thier gunner's m60s in firefights in vietnam. I myself had to piss on an engine block in the woods after a buddy of mine blew his hoses out romping around. never underestimate the power of the penis. (Im sure a lesbian will argue that she can squat just as easily, but lets just see her AIM it)

Phantom: if you need a pic of the inside of an AR handguard let me know, ill take one for you. That method should work great for you, if vent holes alone arent enough. You should still put vents in the handguard like most of the guys here have done already. they arent for looks.

yehp, beer cans is what AK47's are made out of anyway, pretty much. Also, aluminum roof flashing is a bit heavier, and would work well I think. I have a ton of it laying around from different contracts this past season if you need a few pieces of it. 300$ an oz. shippped. LOL kidding. I have the metal if you cant find a better place to get it though. just reimburse me for shipping is all. I dont know? 3 bucks?

For aluminum, look no further than an empty beer/pop can. Cut to fit the inside of the handguard. The heat reflects off of the aluminum and prevents heat transfer to the handguard.

Yeah I used beer can aluminum matrial to line the inside of a East German bakelite lower handguard (tacked it in using epoxy)due to excessive heat -worked well.

Lollygagger :rolleyes: (BTW, soda can aluminum is for KIDS!)