Ah my adventure with my 308 conversion is nearing an end. I have hated and loved the process and I am sad as it is soon to be over. I officially have the SAIGA CONVERSION BUG in a bad way. So much to my wifes shagrin I am planning on another Saiga purchase in the near future (this next experience I hope to spend less time cursing during the process) I just hope my marriage will survive it. My only dilemma other than avoiding a possible divorce over the matter is deciding on which model I should get next. From what I can determine ammo costs for the 223 and 7.62x39 are quite similar. I like the overall power behind the 7.62 but as I have the 308 I already have the power. The 223 is nice as it is inexpensive to shoot but lacks the overall umph and that satisfying sound (yes I like it loud. Though nothing a muzzle-brake wouldn't solve) of the 7.62. In short I have my hunting rifle, my next gun will be a plinker. So I leave it up to you all to aid me in this decision. I have appreciated all of your help in the past and have grown to respect most of your opinions. Not to mention the humor that is invariably included. THIS SITE IS DA BOMB!!!!

Edited by Wigmaster

Well if all you're going to be doing is plinking with it, might as well get the .223.

But let's be honest shall we? You're probably going to end up with all calibers. So start figuring out how you're going to explain it to the missus. I find you can never have enough lead time for that kind of stuff.

Wigmaster,

One thing you may consider in your purchase of your next caliber, your wifes ability to use a light shooting carbine, thus almost ensuring her accompanying you to the range in order to shoot "her" new toy. If she is like my wife, and when its spending money on guns she probably is, being inclusive goes a long way. Hey your woman may be an avid shooter already and I may be way off base, but me buying my girl her "own" sub caliber handgun a couple of years ago still has a positive effect now when it comes to, what is now, "our" hobby.

Wigmaster,

One thing you may consider in your purchase of your next caliber, your wifes ability to use a light shooting carbine, thus almost ensuring her accompanying you to the range in order to shoot "her" new toy. If she is like my wife, and when its spending money on guns she probably is, being inclusive goes a long way. Hey your woman may be an avid shooter already and I may be way off base, but me buying my girl her "own" sub caliber handgun a couple of years ago still has a positive effect now when it comes to, what is now, "our" hobby.

My wifes favorite caliber actually is in the forms of Karats. She prefers the bling over the bang. Plus we spend so much time together hiking, playing video games (she likes the shoot em games go figure) and other things it will be nice having time to spend just with my son. He's got an sks to and a ruger 10-22 that my dad left me. But I agree that the 223 is definitely my next purchase. It will be fully Rambo'd up in full tactical (cuz it looks RADICAL) so my brother can roll his eyes and say whatever. Then the 7.62x39 will be "old school" as those kids on the corner say. It will be decked out in wood! I am bulding the furniture at the community college (more like will be) I am thinking of walnut or maple. Boy am I long winded!!! Appreciate the feedback guys!!!

Well in the interest of preserving your marriage my advice would be to build the next one for her! Tell her you want her to go shooting with you, that you want to spend more time with her. Ask her opinion of which caliber she would like. Ask what color finish she would like. You might end up with a pink AK but I bet it will be worth it!

i got the x39. ammo is about a third less expensive than .223. Wolf, anyway :ph34r:

7.62x39 $195- 1,000 rounds.

.223 $269- 1,000 rounds.

yea, X39 is way cheaper then .223, i got 700 rounds of hotshot in a sealed tin for 128

i got the x39. ammo is about a third less expensive than .223. Wolf, anyway :ph34r:

.223 $269- 1,000 rounds.

yea, X39 is way cheaper then .223, i got 700 rounds of hotshot in a sealed tin for 128

ummm...WHERE!?!?

.223 $269- 1,000 rounds.

ummm...WHERE!?!?

X2. I could only find it in the tin for ~$150.