Does anyone have a "how to" press off your front FSB and Gas

I searched and searched! I can not find a how to with a few simple pictures.

I want to put this FSB on my saiga 7.62

KVAR FSB

Click Here

AK-167B.jpg

KVAR GAS BLOCK

CLick Here

AK-334.jpg

I also would like to press on the proper retainer so I will need to press off the Gas block. Can anyone show me how you would do that with a press? I have access to a 20ton press. I want to put a gas block on with at least a cleaning rod hole. I would love to have a bayo lug. Seems not likely. This is the Gas block I want to put on. Is this all just a matter of pressing on and off or will I need to cut new spots in the barrel for pins? Where can I get new pins?

Sorry for all the questions. I did my saiga 12 conversion and it was very easy. This is a bit more vague.

I got the PG conversion down and the bullet ramp am I missing anything else?

Kvar sells the pins you need, although, you may not need new ones. It's a good idea to have them around though. Just knock out the pins, use 2 plates to support the back of the sight block, put the correct size brass punch on the barrel and start pressing. Do the same with the gas block.

Kvar sells the pins you need, although, you may not need new ones. It's a good idea to have them around though. Just knock out the pins, use 2 plates to support the back of the sight block, put the correct size brass punch on the barrel and start pressing. Do the same with the gas block.

The barrel does not need to be pressed off from the trunion? Just the gas block and front sight from the barrel.

The barrel does not need to be pressed off from the trunion? Just the gas block and front sight from the barrel.

Exactly. You're gonna support the gas block/FSB and press on the barrel. You're essentially pressing the barrel out of the gas block/FSB rather than pressing the gas block/FSB off the barrel.

Do a search for posts by this guy on YouTube-BuildyourownAK

He has some of the most comprehensive stuff I've ever ran across. Also search this forum for posts by Vjor-he sells the press plate that you need and also posted a how to at one time.

In general, punch or push out the retaining pins. Soak down with a good penetrating oil. Use the press plates I refered to and a press to remove. Reverse proceedure to reinstall. A laser bore sighter is handy for re-aligning the front sight if the retaining pins aren't in the same place, or if it's canted.

The new .223 I have has the front sight and gas block staked, rather than pinned. If that's your situation, you need to partially drill out the staked areas before pressing off, and you'll need to drill the holes to pin the new part on.

I managed to press the fSB and gas block off. The gas block had some junk in side it that lightly scratched the barrel. It appeared to be drill shavings from installation. I am going to buy a brass hammer and punch for installation. I wish someone made a press on kit. Beating it on seems uncivilized!

I managed to press the fSB and gas block off. The gas block had some junk in side it that lightly scratched the barrel. It appeared to be drill shavings from installation. I am going to buy a brass hammer and punch for installation. I wish someone made a press on kit. Beating it on seems uncivilized!

I've been going through the same process.

Actually bought the Northern Tool press they had on sale. (10 ton maybe?)

Couldn't figure out how to line up the punch with the pins, and hold it all in place.

And, the press had so much slop in it, I don't think it would have worked anyway.

Took it back.

(Heads up: Northern is not crazy about doing returns. It seems that some sleazy characters are buying their presses, using them, and then returning them. :smoke: )

Using a big hammer, punch, and several days of penetrating oil, it seems like my pins are not going to come out.

Didn't want to have to buy a new FSB and gas block, so I just gave up. :rolleyes:

Edited by mini14jac