My conversion thread

Well guys I found a gun with a dimpled reciever and immediatly started a PG conversion. Then I thought well lets do a AK-103 conversion. So I thought I would document it for others as I proceed with it. Not to mention I have question, I hope some one can help me with. I did not take any before pics only after and no during:(

Well Here is my pressed off FSB and Gas Block. It was not too bad but it would have been nice to have something to hold the gun better on the press. I plan on replacing with some bulgarian parts from KVAR. Does it matter if the new front sight is from a AK74 5.45 barrel? I heard I can use a AK74 Gas block on 7.62 ?

4.jpg

Thought I would show the dimples and the markings. I hope to give it authenticate markings if I can get some pics of both sides.

8.jpg

Shot of the other side!

7.jpg

Here you can see I have cut the hole for the PG. I will tig weld all the old rivet holes shut and the old trigger hole.

6.jpg

A pic of the barrel and mars from crap inside the gas block. I think the marks will be fine after it gets media blasted.

9.jpg

Another shot of the barrel.

1.jpg

Here you can see I have cut the hole for the PG. I will tig weld all the old rivet holes shut and the old trigger hole.

You actually had to cut a hole for the pistol grip?

Weird. All the 7.62x39 and .223 Saigas I've come across already have them.

Yes and there was some kind of tall post going through the trigger plate!

I just peeked into my dimpled x39, and I don't see a PG hole where it should be, comparing to my converted one, which did have it :( . Might be a dimpled receiver trait.

Anyone else with dimpled x39's have to cut their own PG holes?

Edited by 22_Shooter

I just got my dimpled Saiga 7.62 and am still in the "coward" stage and not ready to a complete disassembly yet.

Should the pistol grip hole be something obvious to see if I have the cover off and looking inside? Anyone have a picture of what it "should" look like still in the assembled state if the hole is there?

cpu77 thanks for sharing. Keep us updated. I'll soon be converting my own dimpled Saiga so I'm also curious about FSB and GB options.

Will do.

I just bought a

Bulgarian AK-74 Vented Gas Block /FSB/Cleaning Rod/Non-vented Gas tube. I still need a bulgarian trigger guard/latch/selector stop. Any idea where I could pick one up for less than $40:) They are hard to find!Not sure if I am doing a folding stock or not $300 is a bit of astretch plus I just got that nice blonde wood! I feel dirty every time I sy that!

BTW please stay on this thread as I need lots of help!

Take Care

Ralph