New S&W Revolver came with a spent cartidge

At the last gunshow, I got the wife a new S&W .38. While going throught the paperwork that came with it I found an envelope that had a lot of test firing information on it.. Inside is was spent round. Is S&W cataloging the balistic info off the fired round? I would consider this a bit extreme would definatley come into play on my next pistol purchase.

Swap it our for a replacement picked up from a local range, then keep it.

Nobody will ever ask him for it. Why bother?

If the authorities suspect his revolver was used in a crime, they'll seize it and get their own fired casings, bullets, etc.

Edited by nalioth

Smith and Wesson and all new firearms include the casing for states that keep a ballistic database. The fact that yours came with the casing indicates that there is no such (useless and expensive) database in your state. Enjoy your liberties! :super:

Should you purchase a new firearm WITHOUT a casing you should suspect that your state does maintain a database.

Edited by moxie1c

Yeah... pick one up from the range, and THAT GUN, from the range, will be used in a crime, they come to get your empty casing, because someone saw you near the crime scene, which NOW MATCHES the casings found at the scene... They dont bother to test fire your pistol, cause the casing MATCHES... you go to prison for murder... GOOD CALL!

I know it SOUNDS Far fetched... but in this day and age... who knows... :unsure:

:smoke:

Smith and Wesson and all new firearms include the casing for states that keep a ballistic database. The fact that yours came with the casing indicates that there is no such (useless and expensive) database in your state. Enjoy your liberties! :super:

Should you purchase a new firearm WITHOUT a casing you should suspect that your state does maintain a database.

Thanks moxie...That explains a lot. A guy I work with was originally from MD and he said he didn't get a casing with his. I wonder if S&W has their own database of the projectile from the test fire? If the man was to ask for the casing, I'd give the correct one, because like I said.. It's my wifes gun... lol

I'm in NC, so I guess we're still a gun friendly state...

Thanks moxie...That explains a lot. A guy I work with was originally from MD and he said he didn't get a casing with his. I wonder if S&W has their own database of the projectile from the test fire? If the man was to ask for the casing, I'd give the correct one, because like I said.. It's my wifes gun... lol

I'm in NC, so I guess we're still a gun friendly state...

Im not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice, but I do not believe you are under any obligation to keep that casing. It is yours to reload if ya want.

Furthermore, I cannot fathom S&W having their own database without being compelled to do so by the courts and the antis. As GOB said, the state of maryland spends a tremendous amount of money on their database and for S&W to keep one would surely drive up the price of that $500 M&P (a fine sidearm by the way) that we are seeing in every shop these days.

Besides, a database of those sorts are useless without a full and complete gun registration...illegal and unlawful in most states. The ammunition accountability laws being proposed this year amount to just that--Backdoor registration. Its like this, ok, John Smith has bought ammo in the following calibers: 22, 9mm, 40, 45, 7.62, 308, 223, 6.8, 303, 44mag--it is now safe to assume John Smith has weapons of these calibers and will report these weapons at X time from now when we decide to require a full registration in this state....grr :angry2: