Plugging a 5 rounder to hold 2......

OK,has anyone plugged a 5 rounder to become a 2 rounder via the basement workshop?The problem I am having is only allowing 2 shells within the mag,but still being able to cycle the action.Too much taken off I get a "3 rounder" which would be a game warden no no.What did you use for the plug,how thick and how long?Thanks!

many options...

I would say either a bent "wire", or a piece of thin, narrow plywood "the proper height" to limit spring compression.

When I say wire I dont mean flexible wire... more like the stuff you need a vise and BF-pliers to bend into shape. They already do that on the 30 rounders to make them 10 rounders. 1/8th" - 3/16th" thick stuff... Cobra knows this mod better than I... :up:

:smoke:

I have used balsa wood in my 410 for years to plug it down. When I got the s12 I made the pieces for a couple but found Cobra's wire system to work a little better. AZ changed the rules on me and lets us use 5 rounds for the non migrating birds so most of the plugs came out anyway. Only 168 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes and 15 seconds left till opening of duck season. Got to get ready.

I use heavy guage galvanized steel wire on my capacity limiters. Have made them for all the Saiga shotgun mags and had no complaints. They will limit the mag to two rounds and still able to insert on a closed bolt.

How many swear words can a guy say in an hour while trying to bend a damn piece of wire to the right size and testing it in the mag,over and over.............................................................and then ripping open his thumb!I'm about to quit this project!I got it all perfect,then I wiped the spring and wire insert with oil to protect from all the hand sweat I put on them,reassembled and then I had a 4 shot mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: My patience is limited to my throwing distance!

OK,well I found a nice flat piece of balsa wood and have a 2 shot mag now.With the right materials,its alot easier.The wire was a nightmare,the balsa very easy to work with and it is shaved to fit inside the lips of the floorplate retainer.Still gotta test fire it,but cycling and loading its all good! B) Life is grand when you can blast crows with a S-12!

How many swear words can a guy say in an hour while trying to bend a damn piece of wire to the right size and testing it in the mag,over and over.............................................................and then ripping open his thumb!I'm about to quit this project!I got it all perfect,then I wiped the spring and wire insert with oil to protect from all the hand sweat I put on them,reassembled and then I had a 4 shot mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: My patience is limited to my throwing distance!

That's exactly why mine are such a good deal at only 5 bucks apiece. :smoke:

That's exactly why mine are such a good deal at only 5 bucks apiece.

Thats why even though I had a couple of balsa plugs made I still picked up the wire ones from Cobra. Wanted to try out both ways. They both seem to work equally well but was concerned about the longevity of the balsa in the S12, never been an issue in the S410 though.

Sorry bout that, I thought the four different hints above was enough and I didn't want to look like a pusher.

Anyone who needs any please PM me with an order and I'll give you all the details. Like I said, I make them for all the shotties and they are exactly like the Russians do theirs.