Price check and advice please?

So, I decided to take my NJ tax refund and convert it into a Saiga 7.62X39.

Anyway, I get to my favorite gun shop, and they have a 20-inch 7.62, but the price was $339. On top of that, there would be the 7% sales tax and $15 NICS charge for the phone call. So, I'm thinking this rifle is going to cost me about $378 out-the-door.

No luck on a price reduction. I asked and they wouldn't budge.

So, Saiga-lovers, what say you? Is it still worth buying at that price, or should I wait until more become available elsewhere and do an FFL transfer? I probably won't be shooting it until the summer anyway, but I kinda wanted to get one.

Thanks!

Anyway, I get to my favorite gun shop, and they have a 20-inch 7.62, but the price was $339. On top of that, there would be the 7% sales tax and $15 NICS charge for the phone call. So, I'm thinking this rifle is going to cost me about $378 out-the-door.

So, Saiga-lovers, what say you? Is it still worth buying at that price, or should I wait until more become available elsewhere and do an FFL transfer? I probably won't be shooting it until the summer anyway, but I kinda wanted to get one.

Thanks!

yeah, you need to report them. they aren't allowed to charge you for nics

We have a regional sports store in town. They had a 16 " for $319. Add the tax and it's up to $349. They are really selling at that price. I picked up a new one at a gun show last weekend. It was a 1000 table show and I saw about 4 guys with Saigas. Mine was $280, tax included, and it has a scope mount on it. Everyone else was $349 to $375 and firm on their prices.

Vorpal

'sussexhillbilly'

Arms of America still selling 16 " 7.62 for $289.99 plus your shipping ($15) and FFL ($25). I would guess around $330-$340 to your hands.

http://www.armsofamerica.com/firearms/saigarifles.html

louielouie

If you can get one there. When we called they said they weren't sure if they had any left and said they would check and call us back 3 days later and still no call. But I just got a dimpled one ordered from DD's Ranch for $309.00. They also said they only had a couple left yesterday. They said the smooth receivers they thought they were out of. I can not understand how any of these places can not know if they have them or not. My thinking is they are putting them up for auction to bring a higher price and then if they don't sell are then selling to callers. Classic Arms was also out of stock. I have been hunting for about a week and finally got one from DD's. The ones on Gunbroker.com are bringing a premium price and most of them they say don't come with a mag either, (what kind of bullshit is that?).

Thanks!

yeah, you need to report them. they aren't allowed to charge you for nics

NJ doesn't play the normal game. Our version of a NICS call is, you call the state police, they run a check on you, if you come up good, they then call NICS. If that comes back good they call up the store and give them the go ahead.

'sussexhillbilly'

Arms of America still selling 16 " 7.62 for $289.99 plus your shipping ($15) and FFL ($25). I would guess around $330-$340 to your hands.

http://www.armsofamerica.com/firearms/saigarifles.html

louielouie

Most of the places I've called in NJ want $50.00 for the transfer. If you add all that up again with $50.00 for the transfer you end up with $354.99

It's pretty much not worth the hastle to try and save a couple of bucks.

Thanks!

I can probably get you that gun for $300.00 at Meltzers in Garfield if you don't mind taking a ride. I bought mine from them and I don't think they ever sold another one. I paid $300.00 for my 16" with the skeleton stock.

Thanks guys! If I gotta, I will. Like someone mentioned, saving $30 - $40 is a big hassle. Maybe the good prices are history!

taurussvt - Thanks for the offer! That's actually where I went. They had a .223 16" for $299, but the 7.62 was way higher, and I wanted to run it by the folks here first.

Are you tight with those guys? The guy I was dealing with was making like $5 off was unconceivable! I buy maybe once per year, but I'm loyal to them. Yet, he let me walk. If I could get that for $300, I'd be a happy camper! I'd buy you lunch too! (after, of course, I drive directly home, rifle secured in trunk, no diversions from store to home, ammunition secured separately in a locked container, primers pulled and soaked in oil - blah - gotta love Jersey laws!)

I'd believe yours was the last one sold! Their 223 arrived in in December!

I know one of the guys over there and he gave me 10% off my gun. It was originally $330.00 and he gave it to me for $297.00

His name is Frank Romito and he's a member of the Ridgefield Pistol club, just like me. As far as it being the last one sold, I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. I was in there just before Christmas and was looking at this really nice hard case they had on the right side of the gun room, but wasn't sure if my gun would fit inside or be too long. I just put the case on the counter and asked the guy for a saiga to test fit in the case. He had several on the shelf, and I'm pretty sure he said they had more in the basement.

I'm gonna have to call Frank myself and see WTF is going on.

The guy I was talking to had one of each flavor in the shelf, and "maybe" he said, another 7.62 in the back, but no more were available at this time. I was just a little surprised that the 223 was marked with a December tag, so its been sitting awhile. I would have thought a little deal to move a rifle would be nice - I was ready to buy right there.

For me, right now, its a "want" thing, not a "need" thing, so that's why I asked here first. If this is the pricing trend, then it may be the best deal I can get and I'll move forward - however, a discount is a discount! Anyway, if you are going to speak with your friend, mention that I am interested and if he would extend a small discount. I'll PM you my name so I don't have to introduce myself as "Sussexhillbilly" to him, and let me know when he's behind the counter.

Thanks again for the assist!

I know one of the guys over there and he gave me 10% off my gun. It was originally $330.00 and he gave it to me for $297.00

His name is Frank Romito and he's a member of the Ridgefield Pistol club, just like me. As far as it being the last one sold, I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. I was in there just before Christmas and was looking at this really nice hard case they had on the right side of the gun room, but wasn't sure if my gun would fit inside or be too long. I just put the case on the counter and asked the guy for a saiga to test fit in the case. He had several on the shelf, and I'm pretty sure he said they had more in the basement.

I'm gonna have to call Frank myself and see WTF is going on.

You can much better on price through the internet.... the tax savings ..as long as it is out of state ... will be offset by the shipping but the gun can be bought for $259 - $289 ..... It takes a little longer to get it but to me the savings is worth it.....

'sussexhillbilly'

I just received my Centerfire Systems, Inc. flyer today. They have non-converted 7.62 Saiga rifles for $279.99.

They also have converted Saiga 7.62 rifles for $549.99.

I know they are reputible :up: , but I don't know what the shipping is.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

We NJ guys have got to find PA or NY dealer to do business with. The whole $50.00 transfer thing just sucks ass. I'd rather spend a couple of hours and $20.00 in gas for the day to drive out of state and avoid the $50.00 transfer and $15.00 state police check. At the very least, even with the gas we would be saving $20.00 by doing the transfer out of state. As a matter of fact, I just checked and found a gun shop in Highland Mills NY that will do a transfer for $25.00. Highland mills is just across the state line in to NY.

Edited by taurussvt
We NJ guys have got to find PA or NY dealer to do business with. The whole $50.00 transfer thing just sucks ass. I'd rather spend a couple of hours and $20.00 in gas for the day to drive out of state and avoid the $50.00 transfer and $15.00 state police check. At the very least, even with the gas we would be saving $20.00 by doing the transfer out of state. As a matter of fact, I just checked and found a gun shop in Highland Mills NY that will do a transfer for $25.00. Highland mills is just across the state line in to NY.

Sounds like a great excuse for a "Road Trip".