Yup, another newbie

Evening folks!

I've been lurking on here for a little bit since I ordered my Saiga.

I finally got it today and to my surprise, it came with a 20 round mag.

I'm quite happy with it and am glad I got it.

Now, after reading several posts, I'm gonna order the bullet guide even though I have a 20 round mag with it.

I'm also gonna change the butt stock to something more of a pistol style but I'm not that mechanical so I'm just gonna get that Saiga one.

I look forward into some good conversations with everyone on here. I've read quite alot on here and have learned a few things!

I do have a question though, what brand ammo do you guys recommend? Wolf? Tiger? Any others? And what grain bullet do you suggest?

Thanks.

cmrphebee

Edited by cmrphebee

A 20rd mag? Is this a 7.62x39 or a 7.62x51 (.308) gun? If its a x39 you might of been shipped something that is a no-no without playing the parts game (922r).

As far as ammo those brands are good, I shoot a lot of Barnaul still, but its a moot point its an AK, they tend to eat just about anything. If you wanted to get a little crazy and go hunting with it they do sell some of that expensive Winchester or Remington stuff at $20 a box (or something around that price)

Think I should do the G2 (think thats right) trigger kit.

The only way the G2 will work is if you do the PG conversion (moving the trigger group forward), but you said you didn't wanna do that. But Dinzag sells a modified G2 for unconverted Saigas.

How easy is it?

I'm not that mechanical...minded.

I've seen the conversion on that one website.......

MUCH easier than you think it is. I thought I was too retarded to do it, but I did it, and it came out nice (the one in my sig pic below).

By the way, I'm not "mechanical minded" either :D .

Huh?

akretain.bmp

It keeps the FCG pins in place. There's other (cheaper) ways to do it, but this is so easy to install/remove. Most places that have AK parts will have these for $11 or so.

In order for me to do the conversion, which parts should I get? (Also to comply with 922)

-G2 trigger group

-bullet guide

-butt stock

-pistol grip

-pistol grip screw/nut kit

What else?

The list looks good. The G2 will give you 3 parts, and the butt-stock will give you 1 part. So that brings you down to 10 foreign parts. Just make sure the PG is US made too.

Edited by 22_Shooter