sar3 slam fires with TCW ammo

my sar3 slam fired for the second time today eliminating what i thought was a FCG issue.

originally thought the hammer was chasing the carrier down, but today i inserted a mag, racked the carrier back, let go and BLAM!!!!

my observance was that either the firing pin was stuck forward as it's a free floating pin, or that the ammo used had sensitive primers.

after returning home i learned that the TCW steel cased ammo that i was using is BOXER primed.

so, my question is, is it common to have slam fires in an ak with free float pin and boxer primed ammo used?

It is quite UNcommon.

You should disassemble your bolt and check it for function.

Boxer or Berdan primers can be sensitive or tough, it all depends on the time of day they were made, where they were made, how they were made, etc.

Boxer and Berdan are primer types, not descriptions of sensitivity.

If the bolt checks out, you should try this ammo in another .223 semi auto rifle.

Edited by nalioth

thanks nalioth.

i've read something in the past that i remember stated that boxer primers tend to be softer than berdan primers. i've seen it before with a single shot NEF 308 rifle. it would shoot all domestic commercial ammo (winchester, remington, federal) just fine, but would take 2-3 strikes on the silver bear ammo to fire off. on the other hand the silver bear ammo has never ever failed to fire in my saiga 308.

i've run golden bear in the 223 rifle before with zero problems. thats another reason why i figured it was the TCW ammo causing the prob. i'm all out of the TCW ammo and all my other 223 rifles have spring loaded firing pins.

the bolt operates fine and so does the FCG. is there anyway to add a spring loaded firing pin to the bolt to prevent this from happening again?

the bolt operates fine and so does the FCG. is there anyway to add a spring loaded firing pin to the bolt to prevent this from happening again?
They are wholly different bolts.

Retrofitting isn't a real option.

Just stay away from that particular ammo :)

i found that ammo hidden in a gun shop and it was a damn good deal compared to the current going price. now i see why. i'll just stick with my good ole bear ammo. has never let me down!

thanks again buddy!

I had an SKS that would only have failure to fires with TCW ammo.Just that one SKS,not the other one or my Maadi AK.The primer totally got nailed,but no boom quite often,as only above with the one SKS.I shot it all up in the others,no problem.Still clueless about that occurance!

• 4 weeks later...

I had similar happen to me, ONCE... with my Yugo SKS...

I had just "cleaned" it with brake cleaner... sprayed it down with THREE CANS of the stuff to remove all the cosmoline...

As far as I could tell it was... Was using WOLF black box ammo...

Took it to the range... loaded a magazine... Had it pointed up at about a 45 degree angle, so I could look to make sure a round chambered when the bolt closed... Well, yeah... one chambered... AND ONE BETTER....cycled the bolt back, let 'er fly... BLAM!!!!! right through the wooden frame of the shooting shelter...

THANK GOD no one else was there or that I didnt have it "pointed in a safe direction" it could have been really bad...

That has been the *ONLY* Time I have had a discharge that I wasnt directly in control of... and thank God... its been the only one since... I hope it NEVER happens to me again, cause it scared the shit outta me... and I have *NEVER* forgotten that *ANY TIME* I cycle the action of ANY Semiautomatic rifle...

There is NOTHING you can do better, except PRACTICE SAFE FIREARM HANDLING AT ALL TIMES NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Cause no matter how safe you *THINK* you are being... just wait... something will come along and surprise you...

:smoke:

I heard one time at a gun club during competition one guy's SKS slam fired full auto out of his hands and on like the 10th round bullet a bullet through his head!It actually jumped out of his hands and spun while firing!Be careful out there and always hold on!

Edited by THE_HUNTER

You'r firing pin needs to be free enough to rattle. That said, Saigas have come from the factory with plain as well as spring loaded firing pins. They should interchange, but i havn't tried it myself, so YMMV.

TWGLADF,

Is the gun in your avitar and personal photo the gun you are having problems with? if so, that gun was converted to a SAR3 from a pump-action romanian PAR3. That is not a SAR3.

Although my SARs and PARs work good, I have never seen a pump action AK function reliably after being converted to semi-auto. Many have tried, but all seem to have nothing but problems; slam fires, FTF, FTE, weak cycling, etc. drilling your own gas port in the barrel and some of the other mods are pretty involved.

If its a different gun you are having problems with, sorry and disregard this reply.

Pic of one of my PAR rifles...

post-10946-1214182813_thumb.jpg