Cost of an AK-103 conversion from a Saiga

Ok so I have been gathering information on doing a Saiga conversion and I am curious as to the cost. I have a friend that is a professional welder who is going to weld the extra holes up in my receiver so I won't be having any welding done. I have been quoted a price of $1075 to then convert a customer supplied rifle to an AK-103 configuration with fixed stock. I am wondering if this is a realistic price for such work. This just shocked me a little bit but maybe I am way off base on what this type of conversion would cost. If this is a reasonable price I might just go ahead and pick up an Arsenal rifle and be done with it. Please share your opinions I would appreciate it.

Ok so I have been gathering information on doing a Saiga conversion and I am curious as to the cost. I have a friend that is a professional welder who is going to weld the extra holes up in my receiver so I won't be having any welding done. I have been quoted a price of $1075 to then convert a customer supplied rifle to an AK-103 configuration with fixed stock. I am wondering if this is a realistic price for such work. This just shocked me a little bit but maybe I am way off base on what this type of conversion would cost. If this is a reasonable price I might just go ahead and pick up an Arsenal rifle and be done with it. Please share your opinions I would appreciate it.

You should save some money and buy one of the new saiga conversions I have for sale. Sorry, could not resist the shameless plug.

I would add that unless you are doing some really awesome additions/modifications, that sounds a bit high for a conversion of a customer supplied rifle.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

No way dude! Biggest expense is the folding stock set ($288 from Kvar.) Yeah, it will require some machining of the receiver's rear and the stock latch at the front, but that's way too much IMO.

I don't know, It depends on what he is going to do, parts he is using, ect. You need to get an itemized list of everything in his conversion and then compare.

Depends on the parts? Unless they are dipped in gold, I can't see how parts and labor alone would run over $1k. You did see that the price was to convert a customer supplied rifle, right?

I don't know, It depends on what he is going to do, parts he is using, ect. You need to get an itemized list of everything in his conversion and then compare.

Depends on the parts? Unless they are dipped in gold, I can't see how parts and labor alone would run over $1k. You did see that the price was to convert a customer supplied rifle, right?

Yeah I sent an email asking about doing an AK 103 conversion on my rifle to a reputable gunsmith who I will not name. I sent a list of work that I wanted and ask for a general ballpark estimate nothing exact. I think that the person didn't like the fact that I wouldn't be needing any of the extra holes welded up or the rifle refinished as I can do this work myself. I basically wanted to have the compensator work done as well as a having the bullet guide installed along with having the the rifle ready to accept a pistol grip. I was not even going to use a folding stock just a fixed stock. I was going to press the front sight block off and the the gas block and intstall the handguard retainer before I sent the rifle to them. I understand not wanting to do a partial conversion for someone and that is fine but I was sent back just a blunt email saying " $1075 on customer supplied rifle."

Edited by Holyfield

Yeah I sent an email asking about doing an AK 103 conversion on my rifle to a reputable gunsmith who I will not name. I sent a list of work that I wanted and ask for a general ballpark estimate nothing exact. I think that the person didn't like the fact that I wouldn't be needing any of the extra holes welded up or the rifle refinished as I can do this work myself. I basically wanted to have the compensator work done as well as a having the bullet guide installed along with having the the rifle ready to accept a pistol grip. I was not even going to use a folding stock just a fixed stock. I was going to press the front sight block off and the the gas block and intstall the handguard retainer before I sent the rifle to them. I understand not wanting to do a partial conversion for someone and that is fine but I was sent back just a blunt email saying " $1075 on customer supplied rifle."

If you want a reputable gunsmith who does what YOU want, give Ken at Global Military Gunsmithing a call. He does not have a "menu" of "packages" and you like it or you don't. He doesn't have contracts with "High-Speed High-Price Mall Ninja Gun Parts" or anyone else ( so he doesn't push (er, strongly suggest) any particular parts at you ). He will do as much or as little work as YOU want.

His prices are very reasonable, and his work is top notch.

Well damn, now it's even a worse price, given that you were going to do some of the work yourself before he even got to it. From the sounds of it, you seem like you're more than qualified to do ALL the work yourself.

Here is another run-down of what an AK103 clone conversion might cost, that another member came up with. Now compare it to the $1075 the guy you emailed wanted.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=237348

I just wanted to let every who contributed know that I appreciate all the constructive information that I have received on this. I am really glad to hear that I was not way off on thinking that the estimate for the work was very high. I will probably end up doing most of the work myself and then I will try to post some pics of it as I complete it. Thank again for all the info.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does that conversion include converting the gas tube to a more "AK" type ala Dinzagarms so it will use regular ak forearm parts? That would be the only reason I would pay more than 500.00 for a conversion.

--Dave

Edited by bigdaddy67
Does that conversion include converting the gas tube to a more "AK" type ala Dinzagarms so it will use regular ak forearm parts? That would be the only reason I would pay more than 500.00 for a conversion.

--Dave

There is no such conversion. "Exchange" is the word you're looking for.

Here is how it works:

1) Buy milsurp AK gas tube

2) Remove and discard smooth Saiga gas tube

3) Install milsurp AK gas tube