Best way to clean mags?

Ok, so i picked up a few hungarian 7.62 mags of different sizes. I took them apart, and some of the 30 rounders have what appears to be loose surface rust and sand(probably from Afghanistan) on the inside of the bodies, where the follower's sides are. There's probably other nasty stuff deeper down the body but i can't really see in there.

So my question is, what's the best way to clean them without all the fancy stuff available?

TIA

Boil them in an old pan of water on the BBQ if there is cosmo on/in them, seriously... you may just have a bunch of cosmo-turd buildup on them. Then dry them and oil them up.

Just don't boil followers if hey are plastic. LOL

Edited by MD_Willington

I assume that "cosmo" is short for cosmoline preservative. I think fairly inexpensive magazine cleaning brushes are available. You could probably just use something like one of those with your preferred gun lubricant. If there is severe rusting, I don't know what to suggest other than using different mags.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, first I would remove the floorplate, then the spring and follower...

Then I would use a brake cleaner or degreaser style product to spray blast the mag body out... then as mentioned above... some longer brushes, to reach inside the whole way... scrub with gun solvent, or more degreaser.... then dry and oil...

If there is serious rust... fine sandpaper, or steel wool, and some cold blue to touch up, or just repaint... Although dont paint the inside...

:smoke:

Hmm, a few quiet weeks here and the replies come flooding in. Thanks for posting, guys!

These are metal mags right? Hate to be telling ya to boil plastic ones :haha:

Haha, yeah they're metal. I wouldn't feel comfortable boiling the bakelite or the polyamide. Couldn't care less about the promag though :P -but then again these three are clean.

Edited by Agias