Which ammo cans / storage containers do you prefer?

Just curious as to what everyone prefers to use for storing large amounts of 7.62x39 ammo. Links to specific products or details if possible. :smoke:

Edited by KC913

a standard US .30 cal can seems to hold 500 rds loose IIRC. The "fat .50 cal" or "SAW cans" hold more than 1000 rounds. And if you need more storage than that, send some over I have a 40mm can that needs some loving :)

a standard US .30 cal can seems to hold 500 rds loose IIRC. The "fat .50 cal" or "SAW cans" hold more than 1000 rounds. And if you need more storage than that, send some over I have a 40mm can that needs some loving :)

Do you guys put the rounds strait into the ammo cans, or keep them in their small factory individual 20rd boxes inside the ammo cans? Just curious. I've just been storing mine in a steel toolbox and leaving them in their original cardboard boxes.. but looking for an alternative method that would allow me to transport them if needed.

Do you guys put the rounds strait into the ammo cans, or keep them in their small factory individual 20rd boxes inside the ammo cans? Just curious. I've just been storing mine in a steel toolbox and leaving them in their original cardboard boxes.. but looking for an alternative method that would allow me to transport them if needed.

Go here for ammo cans: http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php?cName=ammo-cans. These are like new condition, and have excellent seals.

Keep you ammo in the original box(es). Get some zip lock freezer bags, and make your own dissicant using #4 coffee filters, some glue, and kitty litter. Put as many individual boxes in the freezer bag as will fit. put one home made dissicant in each freezer bag, and in the can it's self when it's full. Coat the seal lightly with gun oil, or Break Free, close the can, and cache it away.

Use duck tape and a sharpee pen or a paint pen and record the amount, caliber, date stored and brand right on the can.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. When handling individual cartridges for long term storage wear a couple pair of dollar store latex gloves. Use two gloves per hand. You don't want your body salts on the metal/brass to corrode the cartridge as it ages.

If you do it this way, it will last for generations so long as the seals are not compromised, and they are stored in a dry dark environment.

Edited by MacMan
^^^^^^^^^^^^ GREAT Advice!........Not only will you have fresh ammo, but you can keep your cat too!

(By the way, why do all those silica gel packs say do not eat? You're should say "Not Coffee!".)

LOL..and don't forget to write the info in Spanish, too. <_<

Edited by MacMan
^^^^^^^^^^^^ GREAT Advice!........Not only will you have fresh ammo, but you can keep your cat too!

(By the way, why do all those silica gel packs say do not eat? You're should say "Not Coffee!".)

LOL..and don't forget to write the info in Spanish, too. <_<

Nah, write "Emergency rations" in Spanish! :haha::ded:

Acer