Has anyone ever ran into a Saiga with no standard trigger hole in the

Just from reading the Cross-Conn conversion guide, on step 4 it mentions that some don't have the standard trigger hole in the receiver. Has anyone ever ran into that while converting a Saiga? I've never seen anyone talk about having to cut a trigger hole, but just thought I'd ask. If it's been asked before, I didn't see anything about it. :smoke:

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/Step_4.htm

yea, most if not ALL dimpled guns do not have the trigger hole cut, i had to cut my own and it was a pain in the ballz, but i'm happy i did it. I started out measuring the hole about 100 times before starting it, scored it with a proper metal scoring tool and drilled a hole in the center, and used a dremel cutting wheel to cut the rest out and also had to grind down one edge at an angle for the angled pistol grip nut.

pistol grip hole is NOT in most dimpled receivers. It is on all others. The only mod I've heard of being done to the receiver for the trigger was when a double hook trigger is installed. if you're going to replace the OEM one with a G2, single hook, it's just a drop in, plug 'n play, whatever you want to call it, it fits right in with no receiver mods needed.

pistol grip hole is NOT in most dimpled receivers. It is on all others. The only mod I've heard of being done to the receiver for the trigger was when a double hook trigger is installed. if you're going to replace the OEM one with a G2, single hook, it's just a drop in, plug 'n play, whatever you want to call it, it fits right in with no receiver mods needed.

+1

The PG hole is another matter, but most seem to have that too.

Most, if not all, of the dimpled receivers don't have the PG hole already cut into it.

Sorry about not being clear. I was referring to Saiga 7.62X39s in general, not just to the ones with dimpled receivers. It is good that you pointed out that the versions with the dimpled receiver rarely have the PG hole already cut. That helps people to decide if it is worth seeking that kind out.

I'd be interested in hearing how many people had to cut the trigger hole. My dimpled 7.62 needed the Pistol Grip hole cut but not the Trigger hole.

I made an observation a while back that on my Saiga the original trigger linkage actually pivoted into the space of the trigger hole, i.e. the trigger hole needs to be there so the linkage has full movement.

The trigger plate on mine had a square "bubble" that allowed the linkage to pivot beyond the bottom of the receiver. I've seen older Saigas with totally flat triggerplates leading me to wonder if there was a redesign of the trigger linkage at some point and maybe all Saigas past a certain point have the Trigger Hole cut.

Sorry about not being clear. I was referring to Saiga 7.62X39s in general, not just to the ones with dimpled receivers. It is good that you pointed out that the versions with the dimpled receiver rarely have the PG hole already cut. That helps people to decide if it is worth seeking that kind out.

I got mine converted on Sunday (day before yesterday) and cutting the PG hole was probably the easiest part of the entire conversion. I drilled a 3/8" hole and then squared it off with a triangular hand file which took about 15 minutes total to get it absolutely perfect so the PG nut has no play at all. I'm trying to find another 7.62x39 locally so I can convert another. :super: This was my first conversion and it came out great. I don't think people actually realize how easy it is to convert. If you want to use a standard AK stock, you just drill 2 pins on the receiver and 4 places on the sporter plate, remove the plate, push 2 pins out, pull the old trigger group out and put the new trigger group and 2 pins back in. There's no holes or any bullshit to cut on a standard conversion. Could be done in an hour in my opinion. Took me a little longer cause I cut my rear tang for the Ace internal block and had to Dremel a little bit on the Ace block for it to slide in all the way. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so everything has to be perfect. My next conversion will go much quicker. But yeah, the PG hole wasn't anything you should worry about if you need to make your own. I posted a couple of templates that worked perfect. I layed the template over the receiver with the trigger hole and PG hole cut out on the paper, then I lined the template up with the trigger hole and used a sharpie to color in where the PG hole needed to be cut. Worked perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done 4 conversions all had the trigger hole both shotguns needed the PG hole cut the rifles x39 and .223 already had the hole. Hope that helps I believe and can be wrong but the mechinism requeres a trigger hole that is why the bouble plate is shapped the way it is.

That's what I thought. I've never seen one without a trigger hole cutout. As was mentioned above, it's neccessary for the movement of the sear.

Out of my two x39's and one other one the Displaced Yankee brought over one day and we converted, one of the older two had the hole already there, and one didn't. Interesting thing was, I used to have a .223 that came with a PG nut hole AND the cuts in the sides of the barrel for a lower HG retainer (but no top cut for the cam lock). I ended up trading that one to a guy for a Polish UF. I almost wish I had kept that one.

My new dimpled receiver x39 doesn't have a PG nut hole either...but it does have the extra Y stamp. Doesn't make sense to me that these guns, which are otherwise closer to the military receivers, don't come with a PG nut hole. :unsure:

Also on my two .308s I've converted, one had the hole and one did not.

• 1 month later...
:rolleyes: Converting my IZ-137. I've read numerous references to a dimpled receiver. What does this refer to? I recently converted my S12 and read no such reference to the dimpled receiver. I noticed that my IZ-137 has a plate extending from the future trigger hole to the buttstock. It looks like it will come off easily except for the two spot welds. Is there a preferred method for separating the spot welds? Thanks.........Pow Pow
:rolleyes: Converting my IZ-137. I've read numerous references to a dimpled receiver. What does this refer to? I recently converted my S12 and read no such reference to the dimpled receiver. I noticed that my IZ-137 has a plate extending from the future trigger hole to the buttstock. It looks like it will come off easily except for the two spot welds. Is there a preferred method for separating the spot welds? Thanks.........Pow Pow

Dimpled receivers are found on the rifles, in rare cases.

The dimples are used for structural strength.

The Saigas use plates inside the receiver for the same benefit.

Carbide drill works nicely on the rivets.

Dimpled receivers are found on the rifles, in rare cases.

The dimples are used for structural strength.

The Saigas use plates inside the receiver for the same benefit.

Carbide drill works nicely on the rivets.

I believe the dimples were for a magazine guide making up the difference of a milled vs stamped receiver, guides were later incorporated into the lower rails and the dimples were no longer needed.

• 1 month later...

currently doing my 3rd 308 conversion and I've run into the "no PG nut hole" for the first time.

My first two were both synthetic stocked RAAC-marked rifles.

This one is an EAA-marked wood stocked rifle. I'll definately go the route of driling it out, then squaring off the drill hole.