Saiga skeleton stock: is it sturdier than the factory stock?

I'm not planning on converting my Saiga, but I was thinking about changing the factory stock with something a bit sturdier, because it just seems a bit hollow and flimsy for my tastes. It almost seems like it came off of a toy gun. Is the Russian Saiga skeleton stock pictured below very solid and sturdy feeling?

2ndsaigapics20068.jpg

I also like the looks of it, plus I like the idea of an adjustable cheek piece when I get a scope for it.

Edited by MortalWombat
If you are not planning on converting your Saiga, the stock you have pictured above is a great choice. It feels much more solid than the standard factory sporter stock, and the cheek piece is really nice if you will be using an optical sight.

Thanks for the reply. Also, is it shorter than the standard stock? I'm asking because according to this post, the standard Saiga stock doesn't give proper eye relief to use POSP scopes because it's too long. I want to be able to keep my options open if possible when looking for scopes, or rule them out if need be so I don't waste money on something that won't work right.

Edited by MortalWombat

I just added this to my 308.

It is sturdier. It's about 2 inches shorter. it works well since my arms are kinda short. I have a POSP scope and it works great by providing a good cheek weld. It's harder to use the iron sights now though since it "sits" higher - but with the POSP, i never have to use the iron sights again.

I love how compact it makes the rifle now. Short and stubby - kinda like me. I have the 16 inch version. The rifle just feels so good to carry around and use.

The grip looks "fat" on the picture but it actually feels really good on my hands.

I just placed a sling on mine and i'm as happy as can be.

Funny...it feels so much more comfortable that when I took it shooting last weekend, we did better!

I like that stock as well. I swapped my completely hollow Saiga monte carlo stock out for it and am happy with it. Definately more solid and makes the overall 16" barrelled Saiga's more compact wich I prefer.

I'd highly recommend it unless you are planning a pistol grip convert. In which case, SKIP this step.

If you are not planning on converting your Saiga, the stock you have pictured above is a great choice. It feels much more solid than the standard factory sporter stock, and the cheek piece is really nice if you will be using an optical sight.

Thanks for the reply. Also, is it shorter than the standard stock? I'm asking because according to this post, the standard Saiga stock doesn't give proper eye relief to use POSP scopes because it's too long. I want to be able to keep my options open if possible when looking for scopes, or rule them out if need be so I don't waste money on something that won't work right.

The Saiga skeleton stock is a shorter stock. If you go to the Izhmash website, you can find pictures of (apparently) the same stock on guns specifically intended for use with POSP-type scopes (e.g., Tigr rifle). The stock also works well with conventional scopes. With the cheek pad rotated down, you can still use the iron sights just fine if you need to. I would say that the Saiga skeleton stock is probably the best choice IF you are confident that you will not do the PG conversion in the near future.

The Saiga skeleton stock is a shorter stock. If you go to the Izhmash website, you can find pictures of (apparently) the same stock on guns specifically intended for use with POSP-type scopes (e.g., Tigr rifle). The stock also works well with conventional scopes. With the cheek pad rotated down, you can still use the iron sights just fine if you need to. I would say that the Saiga skeleton stock is probably the best choice IF you are confident that you will not do the PG conversion in the near future.

Not really the same but.... similiarly styled.

I didnt intend to convert mine either and went with the skeleton stock. I like it ALOT and recommend it highly. I dont have any problems using the iron sights with the cheek piece rotated out of the way. I havent put a scope or dot sight on it yet but figure with the cheek piece in place it will allow for use of a scope without a problem. I think the only other one I would consider is the Tapco modified adjustable stock with PG, but for the $250 scam price they charge you could just convert the damn gun!! Ashame they take a $100 stock and dump a $150 price tag on it to modify it!!

Do any of you fellers know if they make a rubber extended buttpad to lengthen the skeletonized stock by an inch or two?

Thanks, FFF Patriot.

There is a real izhmash-made one available for the REAL dragunov stocks, but i don't know/think it fits these copies. Check rusmilitary, they have some of them.

I kept my original Saiga stock, but to make it more "sturdier" I unscrewed the two bolts, and then got spray expanding foam, filled in the bottom of stock (where it connects with about 1 1/2 inches of foam, then I went to an art store and picked up a two part epoxy and filled the rest of the buttstock up. Now its rock hard, and added some extra weight. (make sure you put in the foam, otherwise the epoxy will pour right out the bottom via the drilled holes, learned this the hard way).