Hey I scored a new rifle on the 4th! Actually it's a very old rifle, and the first one to nearly knock me out of my tree stand as a boy, when I was deer hunting with my Dad. He always let me take it out because it is so short and easy to handle. But that damn thing kicked like a mule!

My Dad's been holding it for me for all this time, and after seeing some of my work on AKs, he decided to let me have it to finish the sporterizing he started about 30 years ago, then quit messing with it when he got another one that was already done. With it, I got an old box of shells he's had since I first hunted with it 31 years ago. I'm sure they'll still go bang. I can't wait to see how it feels now after I put on another 100 pounds or so...lol.

The sporter stock is still in pretty rough shape and needs work but it's a start. Hell I like the original military stock better anyway. Here are some pics of it in both...

post-1293-1215660419_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660685_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660698_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660709_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660776_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660791_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1215660833_thumb.jpg

Just a few weeks back I picked-up a new (to me) Ishapore Enfield chambered in 7.62 NATO that had been sporterized (barrel cut down to 20").

I have taken it out to the range twice so far..... AND I LOVE IT!

The following is a copy of the image from the Virgina-based seller that I purchased it from:

post-4853-1215732198_thumb.jpg

Nice Gary! My brother has an Ishapore .308. Mine is the Enfield .303. Both are awesome. I put mine in one of those ATI poly monte carlo stocks and scoped it. I like it much better now that it's a lot lighter on the front end. That heavy wood and bayo mount / front sight had to go.

I'm liking your carbine length one though.

Cobra 76 two that looks like a magnum by the length of the action. What calibre? I have a Mark X Zastava .458 win mag that I use alot. People freak and say" .458 win mag? whatcha' shootin' elephant?" No, most do not realize how versatile this gun and calibre is. Many are available at reasonable prices because of the former mind set and most don't like the recoil so they sell 'em. Yeah, it will take the 500-600 gr powerhouses and it is good to know that power is available but mine are loaded with Alpha LaFrank 350gr semi-jacketed spitzers @ 2750fps and 400gr barnes X-bullet spitzers @ 2450-2500fps. The spitzers give you the range, accuracy and decrease recoil and it does not have the artillery trajectory of the heavy-weight round nose projectiles. That Barnes X-bullet is phenomenal. it is 100% homogenous copper . No jacket, nothing to seperate. Bullet weight retention is 98-99% upon impact. Hell, it will retain 60-75% weight upon steel pipe impact!! It will take anything on the North American continent and is good for 300-400yds. One shot stops, not overwhelming recoil and not $60-90 a box. Gary, that Indian Enfeild has got me salivating. Are they all in that condition? If you don't mind, what did you give for that? Don't make me more jealous, man!

Edited by U.S Praetorian

You have to love those old Mausers. I still hunt occasionally with my 1893 7x57. That 6.5x55 round has dropped many a beast, including elephants. The Boers soundly thrashed the British in Africa with them.

... Gary, that Indian Enfeild has got me salivating. Are they all in that condition? If you don't mind, what did you give for that? Don't make me more jealous, man!

U.S Praetorian -- Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you with a reply (... I wasn't keeping track of this thread :rolleyes:).

I paid just over $400 for this example of a sporterized Ishapore Enfield Rifle (which is reportedly on the very high-end for an Ishapore Enfield... they can typically be had for between $175 to $350). From what online research I was able to conduct before reaching the decision to purchase this particular Ishapore specimen.... the majority of Enfield rifles available are not in as good a condition as the one that I happened to purchase. BUT, that's kind of a mixed bag... my particular Ishapore Enfield had clearly been reconditioned and refurbished my some stateside company, prior to the previous owner having acquired it. The rifle's wood stock was completed new (or at the very least, refurbished to look new) and all the thick black gooky-paint that is typically found on these surplus rifles had been thoroughly removed and those metal portions repainted (how well these components were repainted... I suspect wasn't all that terrific, if my rifle is a reasonable example). I will say that my rifle's bolt in particular was repainted in some sort of cerakoting or some other type of paint which IS very good; I've fired the rifle several dozens of times now, and any surface exterior wear on the bolt is indestinguishable to me; continues to look brand new!

Interestingly... or sadly, after the first shooting ocassion with my rifle, upon the third round it became readily apparent just which U.S. company had performed the "chop-job" on it. The rifle's lower forend completely separated from the stock and shot forward about five feet after I pulled the trigger on the rifle for the third time... **groan & ugh**. THIS is a symptom... or attribute of the Gibbs Rifle Company (which to my understanding, closed its doors a few years ago; went out of business).

Anyway, I wasn't too peeved by this unexpected occurance. I simply inspected both ends of the stock where it had separated (it appeared to me to be simply a very poor glue job).... so I purchased some extra-strength Gorilla Glue from the hardware and scored the wood and glued the pieces back together. But, ummmm....

During the next shooting occasion, the lower forend ONCE AGAIN separated (although this time it at least didn't physically leave the rifle's barrel before I noticed), although this time it occured during the 14th round. Obviously, Gorilla Glue wasn't going to handle the stress the forend was undergoing during firing.

So, I've drilled two more holes for two additional oak wood dowels, as well as drastically scoring and marking all connecting wood surfaces... AND, I will be brass rod pinning all the dowels through the stock, after having 2-ton epoxy glued them.

The first picture below is what the lower forend stock looked like after it had separated during rifle firing the first time. As you can see, Gibbs Rifle Company used a single wood dowel to join the pieces... and from what I could tell, they used very little wood glue during the process.

The second photo is what I have done to the forend that will be joined; what the end looks like now prior to my having epoxied the pieces together as well as brass rod pinning the pieces.

The third photo is of the rifles bolt, after having fired several dozens of cartridges.

post-4853-1216500562_thumb.jpg

post-4853-1216500572.jpg

post-4853-1216500588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

Nice Swede Cobra!

I have also hunted with mil-surp rifles since I was a boy. That Mauser is just begging you for one more go in the tree stand.

I like my Swede, but nothing will ever come close to my original iron-sighted K-31. I have taken 10 bucks and about 20 boar with this old warrior. I shot my first boar with it many years ago and my last one 2 months ago.

post-10946-1216840526_thumb.jpg

This one did not have the name tag under the plate to my knowledge, but I have one in New/Excellent condition that I dont shoot that does have the name tag. Just a fantastic rifle, the straight pull bolt is built like a swiss watch. And way ahead of its time with the detachable magazine and accurate non-corrosive ammo.

Cobra 76 two that looks like a magnum by the length of the action. What calibre? I have a Mark X Zastava .458 win mag that I use alot. People freak and say" .458 win mag? whatcha' shootin' elephant?" No, most do not realize how versatile this gun and calibre is. Many are available at reasonable prices because of the former mind set and most don't like the recoil so they sell 'em. Yeah, it will take the 500-600 gr powerhouses and it is good to know that power is available but mine are loaded with Alpha LaFrank 350gr semi-jacketed spitzers @ 2750fps and 400gr barnes X-bullet spitzers @ 2450-2500fps. The spitzers give you the range, accuracy and decrease recoil and it does not have the artillery trajectory of the heavy-weight round nose projectiles. That Barnes X-bullet is phenomenal. it is 100% homogenous copper . No jacket, nothing to seperate. Bullet weight retention is 98-99% upon impact. Hell, it will retain 60-75% weight upon steel pipe impact!! It will take anything on the North American continent and is good for 300-400yds. One shot stops, not overwhelming recoil and not $60-90 a box. Gary, that Indian Enfeild has got me salivating. Are they all in that condition? If you don't mind, what did you give for that? Don't make me more jealous, man!

Where did you get the Alpha LaFrank bullets?? I am hoarding the remains of two boxes of bullets (325 gr spitzers and 375 gr spitzers) that I got for my Siamese Mauser 45/70 conversion. I load these to 2200 fps approximately, and they are deadly out to 200-250 on elk sized game. I'd like to get some of these bullets, but the company has apparently gone out of business. Any help on getting some more of these will be greatly appreciated; I have considered sending one of them off as a sample to Hawk Bullets and paying the price to get them to make me up some custom slugs in the same shape, but they will charge an arm and a leg to make up custom bullets.

Thanks for your attention,

Ticklewhiskers

Where did you get the Alpha LaFrank bullets?? I am hoarding the remains of two boxes of bullets (325 gr spitzers and 375 gr spitzers) that I got for my Siamese Mauser 45/70 conversion. I load these to 2200 fps approximately, and they are deadly out to 200-250 on elk sized game. I'd like to get some of these bullets, but the company has apparently gone out of business. Any help on getting some more of these will be greatly appreciated; I have considered sending one of them off as a sample to Hawk Bullets and paying the price to get them to make me up some custom slugs in the same shape, but they will charge an arm and a leg to make up custom bullets.

Thanks for your attention,

Ticklewhiskers

My last order was 12-2000 and they may indeed be out of business, I hope not. Here is the contact info: Alpha Manufacturing P.O. Box 81072 Lincoln, NE 68501 (402) 484-7744 Fax (402) 467-4342 The guy I dealt with was named "Jerry". I tried these numbers and they are disconnected so I don't know what the deal is--- they may have changed names???? I have about 300rds of .458 loaded and two boxes unloaded so I have not reordered. Not exactly plinking ammo. LOL!

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • 4 weeks later...