7.62x39 for home defence.

Taurussvt, ya might have luck checkin' out gunbroker.com, or shotgun news. I've bought a bunch of guns off gunbroker in the last few years, and got killer deals on some of them. The downside is, you usually gotta pick it up at an FFL dealer's shop ($20- some places-$75.00) depending where you live, plus a shipping fee. Also check out the sporting goods sections in stores and newspapers.

Good luck. J.D.

I have a pistol calibre carbine. .40 Hi-Point carbine. Little bastard is right on the nuts to 100 yrds, and ain't had a jam once in the past 500 rounds shot through her. Very light, very manuveurable, reliable, and cheap ( paid $185.00 last year new), 100% made in USA with the best warranty you can get for a gun. The .40 is a good self defense round.

I've been seriously considering getting the 9mm for shits-n-giggles. For $180, why not?

I have a pistol calibre carbine. .40 Hi-Point carbine. Little bastard is right on the nuts to 100 yrds, and ain't had a jam once in the past 500 rounds shot through her. Very light, very manuveurable, reliable, and cheap ( paid $185.00 last year new), 100% made in USA with the best warranty you can get for a gun. The .40 is a good self defense round.

I've been seriously considering getting the 9mm for shits-n-giggles. For $180, why not?

ATI makes a cool lookin' stock for the 9mm. Looks close to a Berreta Storm. I like the camo original .40 that I have. It's a cool kindof ugly IMO!

The hi point in factory config has got to be just about THE ugliest gun on the planet... second only to the keltec folder...

BUT... thats ( almost) where my complaints stop... ( I also put on the ATI stock.. :up: ) It is decently accurate for what it is designed to do. can be used with a laser already built in... low over-penetration factor, as I use "special" 9mm rounds in mine for just that purpose.

My only OTHER complaint is the lack of a hi cap magazine for it... best they can give is a 15 rounder... a 20 or 30 would be better of 9mm... but what can ya do... I have two full mags in the stock pouch, and one in the handle, ready to lock and load...

ANY bump in the night has to get through the 4 "first line of defense" parameters...

Badger, Shadow, Rooster, and Zoey... If those 4 dont have someone deciding against coming inside BEFORE they get to actually coming inside... they will have trouble once they do... and if they CAN get past all 4 of those... ( two are beagles... you wanna talk about LOUD NOISE in the middle of the night...) I will be all kinds of awake, and ready... probably dressed, and have a pot of coffee made by the time the dogs get done... sometimes I am woken up to people just walking by... I live in the country... but there is a bar just down the street, and once in a while someone decides to walk home, and they go by the house... I know when ANYONE walks by... at anytime of the day or night... and Badger... the shepherd/lab mix "owns" the road in 200 yards either direction...

I would always suggest to those that can, and love them... get a GOOD DOG... not necessarily an attack dog... just one that will give you good warning to trouble... They will hear every "bump in the night" long before you do... and will be letting you know somethings very wrong in a big hurry...

As written by Chuck Hawks...:

20 Gauge

The 20 is an excellent self-defense caliber, particularly for those who dislike the recoil of the 12 gauge. I recommend the 20 gauge over the more popular 12 for home defense. Choose the 20 gauge 3" shell Federal "Classic" #2 buckshot (F207-2-5PK) with 18 pellets, or the Winchester "Double XX" Magnum #3 with 24 pellets (X203C3B). If your gun cannot accept 3" shells choose the Remington #3 with 20 pellets (SP20BK5PK-3). All of these loads provide definitive short-range stopping power.

I specifically recommend the 20 gauge for women and recoil-sensitive men who dislike the blast and recoil of the 12 gauge. "Delivering roughly the ballistic force of two .44 Magnum rounds at once," comments the knowledgeable Ayoob, the 20 "delivers 75% of the lead for only 50-60% of the recoil". Many police departments have found their officers shoot much more accurately in realistic training exercises with the lighter-kicking but still potent 20 gauge.

If you are new to shotgunning and considering getting one for self-defense I strongly urge you to buy the reliable and reasonably-priced "Mossberg 500 Special Purpose" 18.5" barrel 20 gauge pump shotgun (catalog #50451). This tried-and-true workhorse is the standard shotgun of the U.S. Armed Forces and costs a little over $200. You'll be much happier with the lighter-kicking 20 gauge than the 12 gauge version used by the military, and - most importantly - you'll shoot the 20 more accurately and rapidly.

For an in-depth look at the 20-versus-12 gauge issue I recommend all shotgun owners (and potential shotgun owners) read 'Stressfire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun' by Massad Ayoob. Perhaps I am beginning to sound like a broken record on the theme of Ayoob's books, but once you've read them you'll understand why I recommend them so highly (and repeatedly). Note: Ayoob dislikes the 20 gauge Remington 870 pump shotgun and recommends you choose the Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge for general self-defense and home-defense use. So do I.

For ultra-close range home defense birdshot will do the trick. Choose any #4, BB or larger high brass lead hunting load, and have the balance of the magazine filled with #3 buck in case the birdshot doesn't put them down fast enough.

Avoid slug use in 20 gauge; you are better off defending yourself with buckshot. If you must use slugs, pick the Dynamit/Nobel or Federal "Classic" (F203-RS) rifled slugs. Using slugs requires careful aiming and rifle sights: few 20 gauge shotguns have the latter.

any idea what the objection to the 870 20 ga was? I have one, it has been my primary deer hunting gun for over 20 years....heck it was my first real gun! It has been flawless as a hunting gun, never have needed it for HD.

i have an 870 12 ga also, purchased used not long ago. Comparing the two, the 20 is so much nicer to handle, not just on recoil but on weight, you can carry that thing all day and not notice....the 12 you start to feel after a while.

ATI makes a cool lookin' stock for the 9mm. Looks close to a Berreta Storm. I like the camo original .40 that I have. It's a cool kindof ugly IMO!

Yeah, that would probably be my 1st purchase if I do get the Hi-Point.

Will using Wolf HP or SP be safe enough as to not put her neighbors at risk?

I've already tried to convinve her to get a 38 revolver or a pump shotgun and she doesn't like either. We've tried to teach her how to use the 9mm and she just can't work it.

Any advince? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Either of the Wolf 7.62x39mm loadings could pose a hazard to neighboring homes...IMO

I have done lots of performance testing where the Russian HP went thru 1/4" mild steel plate..

..with enough retained energy to do damage to soft targets on the other side.

Consider the Glaser in 7.62x39mm instead... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.a...mp;kwtid=212627

The 7.62 Glaser will cause LOTS of damage to soft targets..

..but designed to fragment upon hitting hard surfaces, etc!

I keep an AKM stoked with 30 Glasers just for that purpose! :)

LG1 :smoke:

Edited by LongGun1