Tromix handgaurd vs. Tromix modified Tapco Galil handgaurd

Besides the fact that it's a Tromix part, what is the benefit of this piece over the Tapco piece? As you probably know, they are about $30 more than the tapco piece. I remember hearing that the Tromix handguard had a rail on the bottom of it, but that could just be my imagination. I've also heard that the Tromix piece fits tighter than the tapco one, but again, I have no personal experience with either.

What do y'all think? I'm going to order one or the other soon, along with the tromix trigger guard, and finally get my S12 conversion put together. Pro's vs. Con's?

Thanks for the reply. What were the issues with the fitting? Would I notice the difference if I'd never owned either one? Nice looking shotgun BTW. That's pretty much what I'm going for, minus the pistol grip and the trigger guard. I have the SAW grip and as previously mentioned, I want to get the Tromix trigger guard. I went on and bought the external receiver block to replace the internal block that came with my group buy conversion kit. I have other plans for the internal receiver block.

Edited by elvis christ
Thanks for the reply. What were the issues with the fitting? Would I notice the difference if I'd never owned either one?

There was a lot of space around the gas tube. The material of the tapco unit is lighter and less robust. You'd know the difference if you had both, but you would probably be happy with the tapco one....... as long as you never get the tromix one.

You gotta remember that the Tromix handguard was made specifically for the S12, and not simply modified for it.

My Tromix handguard has a moderate amount of slop in it. Both at the lower receiver engagement area and flex in the stamped forward retainer. Don't know

if this is normal? Did I get a lemon?

I should be able to get it pretty tight if I can figure out a permanent (and sano) way of shiming handguard to receiver area.

If you have some rotational issue with your Tromix hand guard, it is due to the tongue on the HG not fitting tightly into the receiver. Unfortunately, as we all know, not all Saigas are made the same. I would suspect that your gun has a slightly wider slot in the receiver which accepts the tongue on the HG. You can probably tighten it up by tapping the sheet metal inward a bit, in order to tighten/narrow up the slot.

The black Tapco HG has been discontinued. So if MAA has some left and you want one, you better get it now.

Tony

Thanks for the heads up Tony.

I've had both and the Tromix HG is FAR superior to the Tapco one, in fit, finish, looks, durability, rail mount abilty, overall quality and feel, and bang for the buck.

As was said above, the Tromix HG was designed for the S-12 with all these shortcomings of the Tapco HG in mind.

I've modified several Tapco Galil HGs to make them better and more usable on the Saiga shotguns. By the time you pay the price for a Tapco HG, then pay someone (or use your own valuable time) to cut it down to a more comfortable size, add vents in it, fit it to the Saiga receiver, and laminate the sides to thicken and strengthen like I do (this makes it a lot more sturdy feeling and fixes that fugly open top appearance), you are spending more than the Tromix HG would cost and need no mods.

My Tromix HG fits very tight with no wobble and doesn't have unsightly gaps in the top.

post-1293-1216826723_thumb.jpg

Here's a modified Tapco HG

post-1293-1216825974_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1216825958_thumb.jpg

How does the Tromix feel in compareson to the Tapco? I had a Tapco at one time and promptly returned it because it felt funky to me and the cammel humps on the front and rear got on my nerves-it realy feels nothing at all like the Galil hg that it's made to poorly duplicate. I'd just like to know how Tony's grip does in that respect. Although the Galil is a little wide it has smooth flowing shape that does pretty good.

Thanks Mark that's something I forgot to mention. I've heard a lot of people complain about the way the Tapco HG feels on the front and rear of the bottom. The Tromix is definitely a lot more subtle in that respect.

Really the only thing I would change if I could (and you can with a little sand blasting, stippling, or even sanding by hand and repainting), is the slicker texture of the polymer on the Tromix.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the heads up Tony.

I've had both and the Tromix HG is FAR superior to the Tapco one, in fit, finish, looks, durability, rail mount abilty, overall quality and feel, and bang for the buck.

As was said above, the Tromix HG was designed for the S-12 with all these shortcomings of the Tapco HG in mind.

I've modified several Tapco Galil HGs to make them better and more usable on the Saiga shotguns. By the time you pay the price for a Tapco HG, then pay someone (or use your own valuable time) to cut it down to a more comfortable size, add vents in it, fit it to the Saiga receiver, and laminate the sides to thicken and strengthen like I do (this makes it a lot more sturdy feeling and fixes that fugly open top appearance), you are spending more than the Tromix HG would cost and need no mods.

My Tromix HG fits very tight with no wobble and doesn't have unsightly gaps in the top.

post-1293-1216826723_thumb.jpg

Here's a modified Tapco HG

post-1293-1216825974_thumb.jpg

I just tried my new Tapco Tromix modified handguard and I'm really disappointed by the amount of wobble it has. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the wobble?

The problem stems from the gap in the receiver (where the tongue inserts) is wider on some guns. I would suggest taking a brass hammer and tapping it inward, in order to close the gap a bit. Then the tongue should fit tight and reduce the wobble.

Or, you can send that one back to me, and I will make you one with a wider tongue to fit your particular gun.

Tony

The problem stems from the gap in the receiver (where the tongue inserts) is wider on some guns. I would suggest taking a brass hammer and tapping it inward, in order to close the gap a bit. Then the tongue should fit tight and reduce the wobble.

Or, you can send that one back to me, and I will make you one with a wider tongue to fit your particular gun.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I also noticed that one of the upper corners is shaved down 3 mm or so. Is this normal? Here are some pictures:

post-9324-1218940124_thumb.jpg post-9324-1218940133_thumb.jpg