Front sight off out of the box?

So I picked up my new saiga yesterday and field stripped and cleaned/lubed but noticed the front sight is sorta off. Now I haven't shot the rifle but I will this weekend but was wondering if these pins shown in the pics are what you tap to adjust the sight left and right. If you notice on one side the pin sticks out slightly which makes the post closer to one side than the other. Are some saigas just going to be sighted in like this or do you think they just didn't tap the pin all the way before leaving the factory. I don't have a front sight tool so will hitting it with a punch and hammer be ok if you guys do think it's going to be way off?

This is the side that isn't flush

IMG_0383.jpg

This is the side that is flush

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Notice the post is closer to the left.

Edited by rtlltj

It's no big deal. It just means that your front sight block is slightly canted. As long as the thing shoots straight as it is, you'll be fine. When you run out of adjustment it's time to get involved. BTW, unless the thing shoots straight as it is, buy a sight tool. They're pretty cheap.

it was probably test fired at the factory, and they adjusted the sights as they are now. It probably will be very close to dead on like it is. Mine was. My sights are also a bit canted to one side, but with the front sight adjusted, it is zeroed very well.

It's no big deal. It just means that your front sight block is slightly canted. As long as the thing shoots straight as it is, you'll be fine. When you run out of adjustment it's time to get involved. BTW, unless the thing shoots straight as it is, buy a sight tool. They're pretty cheap.

Ah this tool makes it look easy http://www.ultimak.com/AKST.htm

any other good sources for a good tool.

Edited by rtlltj

The one thing I never understood is, with the ak-47 being the greatest, most reliable, most rugged battlefield weapon ever built, why they never machine templated a near perfect front site post. Some of the cant I've seen on other ak's, as well as on my three, almost look like they were just tweeked by (not so good) eye with a pair of pliers and a ball peen hammer. It's pretty bad when you can notice the cant right off the bat with yer eyeball.

I bought an aftermarket fsb a while back when I hacked mine off to shorten it to a 16", and just by looking at it, I can tell that asthetically, the sonofabitch is damnnear on the balls.

I am starting to think that the fsb on factory aks were the last item built on the aks, on a Friday afternoon, when the guys at the factory had a few too many at lunch. (LOL!)

'rtlltj' ,

When shooting a firearm the for the first time I take along some brightly colored craft paper (you know the kind that comes in a lot of colors and kindergarden kids sit around cutting it up).

I take 4 sheets of the 8.5x11 colored and staple them into one large 17" by 22 " square. Then I take a Shoot-N-SEE (the only time I use them) and put it right in the center.

That way if my sights are way off, odds of them hitting that 17'x22" target are pretty good. I have had several miss the regular target and be just outside of it on the larger one. Without the larger target (or a spotter calling your every shot) a regular target can leave you feeling "lost".

louielouie

The one thing I never understood is, with the ak-47 being the greatest, most reliable, most rugged battlefield weapon ever built, why they never machine templated a near perfect front site post. Some of the cant I've seen on other ak's, as well as on my three, almost look like they were just tweeked by (not so good) eye with a pair of pliers and a ball peen hammer. It's pretty bad when you can notice the cant right off the bat with yer eyeball.

I bought an aftermarket fsb a while back when I hacked mine off to shorten it to a 16", and just by looking at it, I can tell that asthetically, the sonofabitch is damnnear on the balls.

I am starting to think that the fsb on factory aks were the last item built on the aks, on a Friday afternoon, when the guys at the factory had a few too many at lunch. (LOL!)

Funny you brought that up on rtlltj's case. Civy saiga's have the FSB pinned. Military FSBs are punch pressed. Funny part about rtlltj's case is that it looks like his has both. Or wasn't pinned but the holes are there.

I'm guessing punch pressed is easier to avoid canting while pinning makes it common that theres a cant. Or military just doesnt like having those two extra notches in the barrel.

So far I've been lucky, and mine have been right on from the factory. I'm glad I got the sight tool, though. I used it to fine-tune my Yugo SKS front sight so that it is now right on too. If you get creative, you may be able to use a C-clamp to adjust the front sight if needed. I hope it won't be necessary though. Good luck!

Like everyone said....Don't do a thing until you test fire it at the range. I think they must adj. them at the factory, 'cause mine has been dead on (as good as I can tell on Irons) - I never touched it and the 'pin' sticks out a little to one side....but I can hit a baseball w/ Irons all day long at 50 yds. - good enough for me! (on a bench rest, of course).

Mine came out of the box that way two, I thought it was off so I bought a very fancy bore sighting lazer tool for iron sights and it turns out it was dead on I live In russia two months out of the year and speak a bit as well, I called IZHMASH and they do sight their rifles at the factory (depending on the model) But most 7.62's and all dimpled's are factory sighted.