Converting a Saiga vs. buying an AK47

Ok, I believe I'm in a position that many first time buyers are currently in. Bud's has Saiga 7.62x39's for $309 ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...ts_id=411535277 ); they also have the infamous CIA WASR for $471 ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product...oducts_id/40093 ). My question is this, would it be cheaper to buy the Saiga and convert it to an AK-style weapon (with wood furniture, a pistol grip, and accepting ak magazines) and would you end up with a better rifle, or would it be better to just buy the Romanian AK47 that Bud's is selling?

Thanks for your assistance and please don't shoot me if it's been asked before (I'm sure it has but an updated thread with current market prices couldn't hurt anything).

You'd probably end up paying the same, if you did the work yourself.

The BIGGIE is:

You'd have a brand new Russian AK made with quality parts when you were done, as opposed to a rifle made from parts-rejected-for-military-service that was put together by underpaid and overworked Romanians.

Get the Saiga. It'll be worth it.

• Like 1

The best way to look at this would be yeah the saiga would be new although you'd have to do the remod yourself and it's no to hard if your handy and have all the tols to do a good job. Or you can buy that Romanian AK and just put the Shepperd crock in her and she last a life time. Botton line here the Ak it a rough tough rifle and you can go wrong either way you look at it, she's easy to use and very easy to work on thats what make it the best.

I bought one of the first Saiga out and I liked it just enough to make me go out and buy a Romanian kit the Saiga was my learning tool till it got so hot the barrel bent so I sold it for parts, now my Romanian AK is a lot tougher I believe so far I've put alot more ammo threw it then my Saiga and no problems with my barrel. The flaws with the Romanian are small conpared to having to redo the Saiga.

Go out and get a AK47 you'll be glad you did you can do a lot to it and it's a geft that will always be there for you how many rifles do you know of that you never need to clean hell you can run over it drunk with your truck and she'll still work prefect my old boss did that one day what a (Barny) But it looked fine and sure worked fine go do that to a AR15 she'll be toast!!!

Get the Saiga, and convert it. You'll probably spend more than you'd pay for the WASR, when you add in the conversion and furnuiture (depending on what exactly you get), but you'll have a much better rifle in the end. Plus, it will be one of those "Look what I did :D " kinda things. Russian > Romanian.

The best way to look at this would be yeah the saiga would be new although you'd have to do the remod yourself and it's no to hard if your handy and have all the tols to do a good job. Or you can buy that Romanian AK and just put the Shepperd crock in her and she last a life time. Botton line here the Ak it a rough tough rifle and you can go wrong either way you look at it, she's easy to use and very easy to work on thats what make it the best.

I bought one of the first Saiga out and I liked it just enough to make me go out and buy a Romanian kit the Saiga was my learning tool till it got so hot the barrel bent so I sold it for parts, now my Romanian AK is a lot tougher I believe so far I've put alot more ammo threw it then my Saiga and no problems with my barrel. The flaws with the Romanian are small conpared to having to redo the Saiga.

Go out and get a AK47 you'll be glad you did you can do a lot to it and it's a geft that will always be there for you how many rifles do you know of that you never need to clean hell you can run over it drunk with your truck and she'll still work prefect my old boss did that one day what a (Barny) But it looked fine and sure worked fine go do that to a AR15 she'll be toast!!!

The conversion doesn't require you to really even be "handy". Also, what does "all the tools to do a good job" mean? I did my conversion with a puke-green 1970's hand-drill, and a file for the mag catch. By the way, Saiga > WASR!

• Like 1

It's a tough call. I built a Yugo AK before I had the guts to convert my Saiga but I learned how to build and convert the rifles. Given a choice of a Romy AK or a Russian built Saiga which you can convert to an AK I would take the Saiga in 7.62x39 since .223 and .308 ammo cost a lot higher. Presently I would take a Romy WASR .22 which is cheaper to shoot. I tried one a few years ago when ammo was cheap so I didn't think much of it but now the prices are much higher so it's worth getting one for the AK feel without the recoil and report.

You can get a Romy AK in 5.45x39 since the ammo is a lot cheaper than 7.62x39 for the time being.

A Saiga will give you as real a Rusian AK as you can get in this country. Conversion doesn't have to be complicated nor expensive. Think you'll like it much better than the alternatives when you're done.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

The BIGGIE is:

You'd have a brand new Russian AK made with quality parts when you were done, as opposed to a rifle made from parts-rejected-for-military-service that was put together by underpaid and overworked Romanians.

Get the Saiga. It'll be worth it.

+1000

I had a Wasr 3 the .223 version and compared to the .223 Saiga they are not even close the Saiga has a better finish, receiver is thicker, barrel is crome lined, all you have to do is stick slap in a Tapco trigger group, stock, pg and your in business. Forgot you will need a bullet ramp.

I have no love for Wasr rifles especially if Century had anything to do with them.

One Saiga is worth a half dozen Wasr any day.

Edited by topmaul

my understanding is, and let me preface this by saying I dont have a WASR, but they are AKs, and they will go bang! They are just not the quality you'd get with a Saiga, made in the same factory where the invertor of the weapon worked (or works). Russian AK, brand new, not a "parts" gun. Convert it to its intended configuration, and its one of the most reliable combat weapons ever invented. Hell, they're so good, even the bad ones (the WASRs, and other clones) aren't all that bad.

But with the prices today of AKs, all being equal, just get the Saiga. Gun Broker has 'em for under $300 right now, with another $150 or $200 in conversion parts, you have a Great AK worth two to three times what you just paid for it. Literally.

A Century WASR and a "Romy AK" are not necessarily the same things. Guns built from 80's Romy G kits on a quality frame are the equal of any Siaga made, at least.