How Many do you Fire in a session?

Don't shoot my shotty much, but it seems to go from fun to torture over the course of 10-20 rds. Is this normal, or being a wuss? Shot 20 yesterday and the shoulder is sore and bruised up nicely! I've even got a rubber pad on my Tapco collapsible. Possibly technique? Do you use the pistol grip more and not rely on the shoulder? This was firing full power 2.75" 1600 FPS slugs and 00 buck. I've tried the low recoil stuff and seems lighter and easier to handle, but I'd like to get used to full loads too.

On the good side, not one misfeed or FTF, FTE, which I had last session. Didn't do anything to the gun, so not sure what happened last time.

familypics008-4.jpg

Edited by Rustynuts

I will usually go through a 100 round box of federal and a box of clays followed up with about 15-25 slugs. either Rem sluggers or Brenneke K.O. I feel a little sore after shooting and bruised up pretty good the next day. A limbsaver recoil pad helps.

Im usually just plinking, but I almost always go though a box of 25 rds of the cheapo stuff and a 5 rd box of 00buck or slugs.

Bought a thousand rounds of #4 heavy field and that is going to be my main shooting ammo besides the 100 rd cheapo stuff from wally world

I find that actualy pulling the gun in tighly to my shoulder actually reduces the amount of felt recoil, and the amount of bruising...

I have fired 100 slugs in around 3 hours out of my S12 with a Limbsaver slip on, unconverted.... with no soreness or bruising (gotta say i was dissappointed, i wanted at least a few battle wounds)

but I also pull the gun TIGHT to my shoulder and dont allow the 'smacking' that holding it losely causes, I also find that when rapid-firing, holding tightly allows me to recenter on target MUCH faster

The Saiga doesn't bruise my shoulder the way the Verona semi auto shotgun does. I shoot about 20-25 rounds due to the high cost of ammo. I would love to shoot more including buckshot and slugs but they cost too much any more. I used to be able to get 100 rounds of cheap stuff at Wal Mart for $15 but now the same box of 100 rounds costs $21.

Makes a difference if someone works out(lifts weights), keeps the stock snug against their shoulder, uses a good recoil pad/stock. One thing you might want to check out is the Endine Shot Stock. It's spring loaded to help absorb recoil. Looks like you have a Tapco T6 stock. Some people have posted about modifying that stock to work kind of like the endine shot stock.

I find that actualy pulling the gun in tighly to my shoulder actually reduces the amount of felt recoil, and the amount of bruising...

I have fired 100 slugs in around 3 hours out of my S12 with a Limbsaver slip on, unconverted.... with no soreness or bruising (gotta say i was dissappointed, i wanted at least a few battle wounds)

but I also pull the gun TIGHT to my shoulder and dont allow the 'smacking' that holding it losely causes, I also find that when rapid-firing, holding tightly allows me to recenter on target MUCH faster

BUFF dragon makes a good point. Always pull the gun tight to your shoulder with which ever hand your trigger finger is on. The forward hand is used to steer the gun. Post with your back foot and keep 80-90% of your weight on your front foot. Hope this helps.

It is usually 50-100 rounds for me-- the cheap wally world stuff. sometimes I go with 10 slugs and 10 buckshot as well (1 mag of each). I will agree with pulling the butt tightly into the shoulder. I felt a significant difference by adding the Tromix shark break... very little muzzle climb for quick follow-ups as well as longer S-12 sessions. Before the Tromix I was at 40 max for my S-12. I never had a visible bruise but my shoulder was sure sore the next day.. now no soreness and more enjoyable shooting experiences.---- Tony, you can thank me later for the free Shark Break advertisement :grimace:

Makes a difference if someone works out(lifts weights), keeps the stock snug against their shoulder, uses a good recoil pad/stock. One thing you might want to check out is the Endine Shot Stock. It's spring loaded to help absorb recoil. Looks like you have a Tapco T6 stock. Some people have posted about modifying that stock to work kind of like the endine shot stock.

I have 4 Tromix (8", 12", 2-19") with Shark Brakes, Enidine Shot Stocks with Magpul CTR's and can shoot 2 3/4 loads all day without any recoil punishment problems. 3" Mag loads start bothering me after about 20 rounds.

post-7963-1217735418_thumb.jpg

post-7963-1217726535_thumb.jpg

Edited by jerrytofdallas