TAPCO fixed stock ate it.

I was really happy when I found the TAPCO black fixed stock for my Saiga conversion. It was the right color, right shape and cheap. The metal buttplate is utilitarian, true to the design of the AK.

So, I was working on transitions to the shoulder (slinging it up) to go to the pistol after watching Suarez' DVD and the sling popped loose. I barely held onto the sling so I didn't ditch the AK, but I was like "WTF"?

Turns out the D-ring attachment on the TAPCO sling isn't a solid welded ring. It's just a piece of wire bent into shape to fit under the bracket that screws into the gun. The weight of the AK had stretched that ring and it popped out of place.

For a company that's trying to improve its reputation as a cheapo line of crap (think ProMag), this is not the way to go. I compared the part to the bracket on my SAR-3's stock, and the SAR has a much thicker, WELDED ring for attachment. It's not going anywhere. It annoys me that TAPCO obviously didn't test their stock design on an actual AK in any sort of training scenario, because they would have seen this flaw immediately. Everything else on the stock seems so well done, good fit and finish, basically indestructible, except for an obvious, fatal flaw.

Anyway, FYI if you're thinking of this stock for a conversion. I guess I'll be making a call to K-Var for one of their fixed stocks. Anyone else had this issue???

I just checked the sling swivel on my K-Var buttstock, and it's a solid ring. I ordered mine from Dinzag, since K-Var's website says they're always sold out of the US-made Nato-length black stock. I got my stuff from Dinzag in less than a week, which was a pleasant surprise.

I just checked the sling swivel on my K-Var buttstock, and it's a solid ring. I ordered mine from Dinzag, since K-Var's website says they're always sold out of the US-made Nato-length black stock. I got my stuff from Dinzag in less than a week, which was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks man - I like Dinzag, I bought my bullet guide from him. Might have to make an order today.

The Tapco stocks all seem fine when you get them. It's not until you hold a K-var stock in one and and a Tapco one in the other that you realize how shitty the Tapco ones are. They literally feel like they're meant for air soft when compared to the K-var ones. The ones from K-var have the loop welded in the back, they're much heavier, the finish is better, and they have the correct butt plate with the trap door for the cleaning kit like it's supposed to have. You should read this. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...pco++k-var+nato

Edited by taurussvt

The KVar very likely is a better unit, I haven't looked at one, but I haven't had any problem with the Tapco unit on my S12. I didn't use the sling mount, though, I made a side mount that I attached up front by the receiver. Also, I replaced the buttplate with a hard rubber pad, since the smooth metal plate slid around a lot during rapid fire.

I have the kvar nato length stock its better than the tapco but the but pad if you can call it one sucks,its more like a meat tenderizer,and its $45-50 for a few more bucks you can get an ace folder just something to think about

Yup, I've thought about dropping the big $$ to get the flush-folding setup with tang removal. I'll have to do some thinking. I like the idea of a DIY sling mount near the receiver. I could make it super-sturdy and I like that sling position.

I'm Warsaw length all the way though. I shoot square to the target. I run my AR on the shortest stock position and have a youth stock on my shotgun.

Yup, I've thought about dropping the big $$ to get the flush-folding setup with tang removal. I'll have to do some thinking. I like the idea of a DIY sling mount near the receiver. I could make it super-sturdy and I like that sling position.

I'm Warsaw length all the way though. I shoot square to the target. I run my AR on the shortest stock position and have a youth stock on my shotgun.

I like that sling position also, and have a mount in that position on my AR and FAL as well. I also run my short, about halfway in, and have a short, entry-length stock on my FAL.

I Have a tapco unmod stock on my saiga .I am very aware of the viability of shoulder and quality feel of a rifle.As an active duty devil dog My tapco stock is solid and dependable as the same in the M-4.I guess if you go by looks instead of functionality of a wepon platform your opinions may vary. My stock is solid and has withstood bad treatment from my off time plinking.I have the t-6 collapse and have really been surprised by its durability........Unless you are going to invade the ukraine or something one should know th weekest part of the wepon is the shooter......