OK, I am in the market for another 9mm handgun. I already own an IMI Jericho 941 and I love it. Anyway, I went to my local gun range and took a look at the Sig P228 and decided my next gun was going to be a sig. I can get one used for about 550 bucks on Gunbroker.

However, I have also seen the P225s for about 350 close to new in box.

I'm going to buy a sig, and I am going to buy a 9mm, but between these two guns which should I choose and why? I like the extra cap on the p228, but does that really warrant the extra 200 bucks?

Anyway, any input appreciated.

The main difference between the 225 and 228 will boil down to how they feel in your hand (other than the obvious capacity difference). For me, the sig 225 is the most natural pointing gun I have ever laid my hands upon. I have several of them in many versions including some of the ones with the mag release on the bottom of the grip. They are awesome guns, but with the 225 you can expect a very stiff double action pull, with a sweet and clean single action pull. The DA pull can be lessened with a spring change. Most 225's are definitely not "new condition" so either the seller has a couple really nice ones, or they are full of shit (more likely FOS).

The above said...If you can grip the 228 comfortably, then you may as well get the extra capacity that goes along with it. The only let down of the 225 is that it's a 9 and not a hi cap. However, while you're at it, you may as well look for a 229 as they have a one piece stainless steel slide (and can usually be found in good used condition for $550 or so). The 228 can use 226 hi cap mags, so you can have some higher cap spares (though the mags are longer, so I would carry a 228 with a 226 mag in it).

If you're going to use it as a primary carry piece, also check out the 239.

You really can't lose, but if you have small to medium sized hands, you owe it to yourself to at least handle a 225 before shelling out for a 228.

A new (or nearly new) sig 229 will absolutely serve you for a lifetime. If anyone asks me what one, and only one gun to get, I either recommend the 229 in 40 cal (as my SA/DA choice), or a glock 19 9mm (as an all around carry DA piece). 225's and 228's typically have already seen a lifetime of use, but are still good guns to own, very reliable (though $550 for a 228, and $350 for a 225 each seem about $100 overpriced).

I love my Sig Sauer X-Five AL Field Grade, but i'm not a particular fan of the 'normal' Sig range of pistols. they're solid pistols for sure, but they lack a certain flair to me.

If you're going to use it as a primary carry piece, also check out the 239.

be sure to try the DAK trigger before hand, however! you might not like it.

OK, I am in the market for another 9mm handgun. I already own an IMI Jericho 941 and I love it. Anyway, I went to my local gun range and took a look at the Sig P228 and decided my next gun was going to be a sig. I can get one used for about 550 bucks on Gunbroker.

I'm going to buy a sig, and I am going to buy a 9mm, but between these two guns which should I choose and why? I like the extra cap on the p228, but does that really warrant the extra 200 bucks?

350?

Aimsurplus.com sells the 225s for $269.99

350?

Aimsurplus.com sells the 225s for $269.99

Its a completely refinished unit. No holster wear, springs replaced, completely re-molyed. That was what the extra 50 is for. And then shipping.

All comes to 350 total, which is the closest to getting a NIB sig without having to pay the covercharge.

Edited by Virtuoso
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OK, so I went with a refinished P6, and I freaking love it. Definitely my CCW pistol from now on.

Just a heads up folks

Cope's has new Sig 225 mags (real sigs ) new in box for $35.00 and 7 buck flat rate shipping

I ordered two on Thursday and received them this morning ( Sat )