Tapco folder vs. ACE folder

I'm not rich by any measure, but there are some things in this world that should never get short changed. A firearm is a tool,don't get cheap tools. I don't think TAPCO products are the worst in the world, but there is better to be had. I would go with ACE.

I would choose Ace over Tapco. Then, after seeing those pictures, I would definitely choose Ace over Tapco.

The Ace looks rock solid (and I'm assuming it is. I have an Ace skeleton stock on my AR, and it's solid as hell), and the Tapco..........not so much.

So it's either go cheap and pay $45 for the Tapco. Then down the road, realize you should have gotten the Ace, and have to drop $165 more.

Or go the "cry once" route, and buy the Ace from the start.

That's my 2 cents. :D

Ace, Tapco, Romanian side folders. Have all 3. It's what you pay for. Had an early Tapco that my son put on a Romy. It broke, :cryss: Tapco did replace free with newer model that's a lot stronger. :super: Romanian or E. German style solid/metal. Just wouldn't use with a S-12 or .308. Don't like shoulder hickies. :rolleyes: Just In Case attitude if weapon has to be your defense, will it break. :smoke:

I have 8 Ace stocks on various weapons and they are top-notch - you can butt-stroke a zombie in the face and the Ace will still function.

Tapco, well other than the G2 trigger and maybe the fusion handguard, is not so good quality. That Tapco side folder is probably one of my least favorite AK products.

While it is quite popular to bash them, there is nothing wrong with TAPCO products, they give a lot of value for the money. Can you buy better? Sure! An the Ace stock is one example!

Yes, you get what you pay for. Even when mounted correctly Tapco stocks wobble. Stocks attached with the Tromix receiver backplate or ACE adapter feel like a piece of the gun. I could break a Tapco stock in half with my hands. You can slam an ACE stock against a wall and at worst, you would have a stock that you could bend back in shape.

Any reviews? Just by looking at the pictures the Tapco looks a little cheap, but maybe it'll get the job done for $45?

Tapco $45

AKS-025.jpg

ACE $165

AKRBU-FX(S)-FS.jpg

I organized an order for a bunch of my friends when AKs from Classic Arms were still under $300. I had soncidered getting one with a Tapco stock, but te folder I handled flexed when I pulled it to my shoulder and the collapsible broke when my friend dropped it--three feet. Not impressed.

A good friend of mine from Bulgaria told me two things about economy that I will retain forever.

"We are too poor to buy cheap things."

"It isn't that you get what you pay for. It is easy to pay too much for something. You don't get what you don't pay for."

I think both apply here.

Edited by stiletto raggio

Thanks for all the good input. I decided to order an ACE, but I'm going to get a longer one than I have on my S12 currently. The one on the S12 is too short for the recoil vs. proximity of my face to the back of the receiver. So once I get the longer one I'll put it on the S12 and use the one that's currently on my S12 on my 7.62. That should solve everything.

Gunna go shoot the 7.62 for the first time later today. I never noticed how crappy the factory TG feels until now when I can compare side by side with my Tapco Tromix modified TG in my S12. Can't wait to do this conversion, my first!

060.jpg

Edited by ernestmayhand
Thanks for all the good input. I decided to order an ACE, but I'm going to get a longer one than I have on my S12 currently. The one on the S12 is too short for the recoil vs. proximity of my face to the back of the receiver. So once I get the longer one I'll put it on the S12 and use the one that's currently on my S12 on my 7.62. That should solve everything.

Gunna go shoot the 7.62 for the first time later today. I never noticed how crappy the factory TG feels until now when I can compare side by side with my Tapco Tromix modified TG in my S12. Can't wait to do this conversion, my first!

060.jpg

Im not going to bash my Tapco side folder. It was inexpensive and it gets the job done. Some of you are making it sound like its a piece of paper and not strong, but it is definately rigid. No I cannot slam it into a wall and not expect it to take damager, but who is going to slam it into a wall? I am definately going to change stocks out at a later date, but for not having to wait on shipping and actually getting to inspect in store and walking out with it in my hand, I was happy. Plus I didn't have to modify it to fit, it just slid right in and screwed it in and done.

• 3 years later...

This is more of an FYI for people contemplating cutting off their tang.

Cut the tang off my Saiga 7.62 in the hopes of using an ACE sidefolder setup which I heard was rock solid.

I bought the Ace A500PB with the pushbutton. Almost $100 from Midway. As soon as I got it, I thought it was a tiny bit sloppy, but thought it a compromise since it was a folder.

The design looked flawed and had an adjustment screw that corrected the slop.

Well, over time it appears that the hardened set screw has warn it's way ..056" of the way deep into the other side of the folder. I keep adjusting it, but now the stock is 20 degrees off when the stock is in the shouldered position. I'm disappointed, but knowing that it's a US gun part, the manufacturer will stand by it.

So I email Ace last Wednesday. I include a model number and Tim's secretary emails me back the following day asking me some qualifying questions about the folder. I answer her questions within minutes of receiving the email, but don't get a response until the next day. Once again I get an email from Tiffany stating that the model is defective and they have a newer version. She doesn't tell me if they will replace it or anything else. That response was Thursday. I emailed her back immediately asking if they would replace it and no email as of yet.

First couple of posters were right, Tim (boss) was out of town. Man, I'm really impatient .

Kind of disappointed in the part and even more disappointed that is has been 3 business days of correspondence and I don't know if they cover it or not. I almost feel like returning it to Midway, even though I bought it a year ago. I might want to have the tang re-welded back on. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I want to vent to you guys and set up some info on the web for other guys before they cut off their tang to put on one of the few options out there for a sidefolder.

I'll keep you posted if they rectify the situation.

**************** UPDATE ***************************

Email from Tiffany to me:

"Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately with it being a year and a half since you purchased the folding stock mechanism we will not be able pay for the shipping to us or the shipping back to you. In most cases if it has been over 30 days since you purchased the product we will not exchange it, unless it is a warranty issue. The mailing address you will need to send the FSM-PB to is"

I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.

I'm going to send it back to Midway for credit on my account. Unbelievable.

Cut the tang off my Saiga 7.62 in the hopes of using an ACE sidefolder setup which I heard was rock solid.

I bought the Ace A500PB with the pushbutton. Almost $100 from Midway. As soon as I got it, I thought it was a tiny bit sloppy, but thought it a compromise since it was a folder.

Well, over time it appears that the hardened set screw has warn it's way ..056" of the way deep into the other side of the folder. I keep adjusting it, but now the stock is 20 degrees off when the stock is in the shouldered position. I'm disappointed, but knowing that it's a US gun part, the manufacturer will stand by it.

So I email Ace last Wednesday. I include a model number and Tim's secretary emails me back the following day asking me some qualifying questions about the folder. I answer her questions within minutes of receiving the email, but don't get a response until the next day. Once again I get an email from Tiffany stating that the model is defective and they have a newer version. She doesn't tell me if they will replace it or anything else. That response was Thursday. I emailed her back immediately asking if they would replace it and no email as of yet.

First couple of posters were right, Tim (boss) was out of town. Man, I'm really impatient .

Kind of disappointed in the part and even more disappointed that is has been 3 business days of correspondence and I don't know if they cover it or not. I almost feel like returning it to Midway, even though I bought it a year ago. I might want to have the tang re-welded back on. I don't want to deal with this crap anymore.

I want to vent to you guys and set up some info on the web for other guys before they cut off their tang to put on one of the few options out there for a sidefolder.

"Thank you for your prompt reply. Unfortunately with it being a year and a half since you purchased the folding stock mechanism we will not be able pay for the shipping to us or the shipping back to you. In most cases if it has been over 30 days since you purchased the product we will not exchange it, unless it is a warranty issue. The mailing address you will need to send the FSM-PB to is"

I think that this is absolute garbage. This piece of crap was $100 bucks and now I have to spend $15 to get a new one, that'll probably be a piece of crap after a year, too.

Wow you bump a 3 year old thread to repost your negative feedback. nothing_to_say.gif

Wow you bump a 3 year old thread to repost your negative feedback. nothing_to_say.gif

Pulled up on Google. I want people to know before they make my mistake.

I already returned to Midway for credit