I think I'll call it "The Scorpion"

Hey since it looks like nobody has done this to the AK variant world yet, do you think I can dub the Saiga with a top folding stock "The Scorpion"?

My advertisement would have to go something like this:

Its new, its sleek, its rediculously front heavy and just barely meets 922® compliance! Its the Saiga SCORPION! Buy it today before you realize that you have to take your scope on and off every time you want to fold it!

post-5-1105328523.jpg

Sure! dont mind at all! I glass bead blasted the bolt carrier and went over it with some rubbing compound. It took all of about two minutes in the cabinet, and about 10 minutes with the compound. I am thinking of going over it with a dremmel buffer and some polishing compound but I dont want it TOO shiny.

i think he meant the original spas 12 with the folding stock like yours....i read somewhere about beadblasting the carier and bolt can deform them would it be better do media blast.....can you link to where you got the instructions?i cant find any info on it just stuff abput polish aks when i search for polishing lol

Lol! I didnt see anything about bead blasting on the internet. I have a glassbead blaster that I use in my shop. The bolt carrier on my Saiga is made of steel. The black stuff on the bolt carrier is like a bakecoat. That is why conventional paint removers dont take it off easily. Glass beading is very gental and effective on steel, so THATS why I glass beaded it. Ive used glass beading on EVERY part of my M59/66 when I restored it. And it came out looking like a 1st issue. SANDblasting has a potential to leave small pits in steel or even to ware away parts that you blast too much, because its like propelling tiny rocks. Thats good for rusty car frames or shelving with 5 coats of paint on it. But glass is much softer and deflectable, meaning that it changes direction very quickly when it strikes a hard surface. MEDIAblasting can mean anything. Media is what you are useing in your blaster. Most common medias are plastic, (polyethalene and polyprophalene) graphite, pvc, and some weird stuff profesionals use to restore labratory equiptment and food processing machines. You can also use media like ground porcalin or granite to blast custom pieces of marble. In my humble opinion, glass or plastic media are ok for rifle parts because they will not ware the steel at all.

I restored this car useing a combo of sand and glass on the body. The sheet metal was 1/16" - 1/32" in most places and sanding/grinding would have required the use of body filler to cover over the marks left in the steel. We cant use body filler on our rifles, so naturally when removing a finish, we need to be careful.

post-5-1105454140.jpg

i think he meant the original spas 12 with the folding stock like yours....i read somewhere about beadblasting the carier and bolt can deform them would it be better do media blast.....can you link to where you got the instructions?i cant find any info on it just stuff abput polish aks when i search for polishing lol

Here is where I found my info on polishing the bolt

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/chrome.htm

oh yea. You can use glass in place of sand in a standard cabinet. There are a variety of tips also to allow you to use different types of media and give you different results. My cabinet is similar to the one at Harbor Freight. Its just a chepo small one that I modified to work better. You can also etch glass with sand blasting, When I take Cobra's bolt carrier to shop, I'll snap a few pictures of some glass etching I did on a Mustang with a sand blaster.