You can only use pre ban Hi caps in NYS.

Just as a mater of curiosity, how do they determine pre-ban from post-ban in the illustrious state of New York? Have all manufacturers gone to a special marking system for that place? Or is it the responsibility of the owner to prove his/her mags are pre-ban? Glad I don't live up there.

Thats the problem , most of the time nothing is marked. Of course during the ban they were marked LE-only . But since the AWB sunset , the manufactures stopped tagging them .

Some pistol mags have the caliber in different spots. But AK mags are all pretty much the same AFAIK.

Of course we cant get US made mags either, thats usually a dead giveaway of postban.

So don't use U.S. Mags. Pre-Ban means nothing because the Mags are not date stamped. It must be proven the mags are NOT Pre-Ban, YOU don't have to prove anything. In fact most Mags ARE Pre-Ban.

Here in Md. we have a 20 round+ ban on sales, possession isn't an issue. It's not up to us to prove the 30 rounders were here before the restriction.

• 3 weeks later...

As I have seen advised elsewhere, either you have the receipt, or some proof they are preban, say, AR 15 mags, that were manufactured by a company that went out of business prior to the ban, or are historically provable, say, a magazine that has been out of production for a long period of time, MP 40, or early slab side AK mags as examples.

You can be charged, your mags can be seized, and you can be tried, if thats what the cops and the DA really want to do, can they prove your mag IS NOT preban, I don't know, but you may be paying a lawyer before its all said and done.

Another example, was the grandfathering of assault rifles, I had a repro folding stock for an M1 carbine, and they were produced after the ban went into effect, as well as before.

If I assembled the rifle with the folding stock prior to the ban, it was legal, if it was put on during the ban, it was illegal.

The question again becomes how do you prove in a court of law that is was assembled prior, and, how do they prove it wasn't.

If you had a receipt, you are off, and probably not charged, but, if the DA doesn't like the way you look, (See Mike Nifong), you may be standing tall before the man.

I feel your pain, but Kali is worse, and as it is, the corrupt thugs that run your state, leave you no choice, other than to move to a free state, such as PA, if you wish to express your 2nd amendment rights.

Etek, I am not versed on Maryland law, but, how can they not be watching for over 20's, they are illegal, how would the state control importation of new magazines, if there wasn't some way to define what was in the state prior to the law passing?

I am not doubting you, I just assumed that the day the law went into effect, you couldn't possess an over 20 round capacity magazine.

22 shooter, the problem is, that prior to the ban, very few Assault rifle, or for that matter, any rifle mag were polymer.

There were Augs that come to mind, thermolds, a few brands of mags for the 10/22's, zytel mags for the M11 pistols, and sub guns, but, no imported AK's, other than a few chinese bakelite ones.

I just don't know if that many actually ever existed at all, prior to the ban. Hell, nobody ever even saw an AK 74 mag before the introduction of the post ban SAR 2's, and 223 AK mags, didn't start until after some of the com blocs went to Nato, again, with the exception the few steel chi com ones.

Edited by frick

the bulgy waffle circle tens are both pre and post ban. Really no way of knowing which you have, unless you've had it since 1993. As far as owning pre ban mags, anything chinese is Ok, like the all stamped mags and spineless mags in 7.62x39mm because they've been banned from import since before the ban. Also safe is East german stuff, weiger .223 and orange bakelite 5.45's since EG went kaput in 89.