New Saiga-12 SBR

You are right! I did not look at the dates on the thread! Thanks!

You should always look at the dates of "new (to you) threads" with lots of posts in them.

Why? What if I want to reply to them? Must I request your permission to do so? What happens if I don't get it first? :unsure:

Unless you have some good and compelling answers to these questions I think I will just stick to my present policy of replying any damned time I feel like it. :haha:

However, I asked because several had asked already and he had not answered the question. Frankly, I doubt that it would run low brass well like that.

Doctor Cheney did not agree with our policies - specifically the contributor/business membership policies. So he departed.

A shame, as his firm does excellent work on AKs and Saigas.

My money says that this one would not run reliably, specially with low brass, I don't care how talented he is/was with a hacksaw.

You should always look at the dates of "new (to you) threads" with lots of posts in them.

Why? What if I want to reply to them? Must I request your permission to do so? What happens if I don't get it first? :unsure:

Unless you have some good and compelling answers to these questions I think I will just stick to my present policy of replying any damned time I feel like it. :haha:

It just doesn't make sense to reply to posters who may not have been here in years (which I see a lot), nor questions that have been made irrelevant by the passage of time. .

Sort of like finding your old answering machine you've not used in years and responding to messages still on it. . .

. . but whatever floats your boat, dude FOFRBananaturtleHL.gif

It just doesn't make sense to reply to posters who may not have been here in years (which I see a lot), nor questions that have been made irrelevant by the passage of time. .

Sort of like finding your old answering machine you've not used in years and responding to messages still on it. . .. . but whatever floats your boat, dude FOFRBananaturtleHL.gif

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. There are people reading this thread today that will come away from it believing that the only thing that you need to make a SBS is a hacksaw. If they take one thing away from this old thread, I would hope that it would be the knowledge that there is a little more to it then that, and just hogging out the gas ports till it will kinda run! I was no longer asking questions of the OP. This is a forum, not email. I am talking with a group.

Now Nalioth I would be one of the first to say that you are a knowledgeable guy on the AK platform. I enjoy reading some of your responses. But you have a well known issue, phobia or mania going on about the resurrection of old threads. Now I don't mind when you scold other people about it too much, if that is what floats your boat. Besides, that is between you and them and sometimes it is kind of funny.

But, let's just remember from this point on that this crap will not float with me. :)

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

I laughed so hard when I read what vbrtrmn said about nalioth. His quote seems appropriate here. "Remember guys it is always nalioth's prerogative to point out flaws in everyone and everything. If you dare make any mistake or god forbid re-post something, he'll be there to rub it in your face and make sure you know you're the worthless whore that you are." That shotty looked great, but i'd also be inclined to say that it wouldn't cycle low brass reliably.

...but i'd also be inclined to say that it wouldn't cycle low brass reliably.

An 8" with full-length gas system would be hard-pressed to cycle even the stoutest ammo. I guess if you drilled a huge hole(s) it might be made to function somewhat.

You don't see it as much anymore, since guys are becoming more knowledgable about the platform, but we used to get about a call a week like this:

"Hey, I got my tax stamp and cut my gun down, now it's single-shot. Can you fix it?"

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that the tapco galil hand guard? How does it attach without the u-shaped bracket screwed to the bottom of the gas block?

Hi Folks,

Just want to show you a little something that we cooked up this morning. This is a Saiga-12 that we wanted to convert into a SBS.

We still want to mod a few things but you can see what he has done so far.

sbrtan1il2.jpg

sbrtan2fc0.jpg

sbrtan3hl5.jpg

sbrtan4vl7.jpg

thanks,

Ron

Is that the tapco galil hand guard? How does it attach without the u-shaped bracket screwed to the bottom of the gas block?

Seeing how there is no trigger or internals and the gas block detent is also missing I'm guessing it's just a mock-up and would need the U bracket to actually work.

Edited by sunnybean

...but i'd also be inclined to say that it wouldn't cycle low brass reliably.

An 8" with full-length gas system would be hard-pressed to cycle even the stoutest ammo. I guess if you drilled a huge hole(s) it might be made to function somewhat.

You don't see it as much anymore, since guys are becoming more knowledgable about the platform, but we used to get about a call a week like this:

"Hey, I got my tax stamp and cut my gun down, now it's single-shot. Can you fix it?"

Does the front of the gas block not extend further than 8" from breach face? It has been a while since I did any gas system measuring, but I remember it being impossible to have an 8" barrel and a full length gas system. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

ETA: IIRC the ports are at 8".

Edited by evlblkwpnz

hahaha yea that makes sense. long day sorry ;) I'm a lot less baffled now

Seeing how there is no trigger or internals and the gas block detent is also missing I'm guessing it's just a mock-up and would need the U bracket to actually work.