I've got a Ver-21 Saiga 308 that comes from Izhmash with the wood thumbhole stock and a factory forward mounted trigger assy. so the rifle doesn't need an FCG conversion. I've replaced the wood thumbhole stock with a USA made polymer Robinson Arms VEPR buttstock with integrated pistol grip. Have I technically added a pistol grip if it is actually molded as a part of the buttstock? If I use my factory mag in this firearm right now am I out of compliance with 922?

PA030042.jpg

Edited by Chaps

You would have 13 foreign parts with the Russian mag, but if it is still considered suitable for sporting, it wouldn't matter. It's a grey area. To be safe, get a Surefire mag. They make them in 5, 10, and other capacities. You will be legal then, because the buttstock counts as a part and you have replaced it with a US version.

Thanks, and a warning, several noob questions coming up . . .

OK, so its likely that I have created an evil rifle with this buttstock replacement. I'd like to not depend on mag parts to pick up the other 3 domestic components. I'm planning to replace the wood fore end with another US made piece so that puts me at 12. Would a domestic FCG simply drop into place with no receiver mods? If yes and I decided that was the preferred way to get into compliance how would a law enforcement entity determine that the new FCG parts are USA made? Are they marked with country of origin? My factory FCG works perfectly, smooth trigger, sharp break and no issues. Would I have any problems or lose anything by installing a USA made FCG? Would any particular brand of FCG be best for this type of situation? If replacing the FCG isn't such a great idea what other 2 parts could I replace easily that gets me down to 10?

The Robarm stock kills two birds with one stone as they say....

The fact that it incorporates the PG? Yes, something else I didn't need to buy if thats what you meant.

Still pondering the questions from post #4 above if anyone has some ideas - thanks

The Robarm stock kills two birds with one stone as they say....

The fact that it incorporates the PG? Yes, something else I didn't need to buy if thats what you meant.

Still pondering the questions from post #4 above if anyone has some ideas - thanks

The FCG gives the 3 extra parts.

Most will fit as drop in.

The hammer might need a relief on the front to clear the cross bolt support.

Just follow the front profile of the old hammer.

I usually polish the new parts before installing them.

Look Here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=30272

Here's one thing you can do: get a PSL / Romak-3 stock for it. The ATF considers these stocks to be thumbhole stocks, despite the fact that they're effectively a pistol grip. They also don't affect the rifle's sporting status, since both PSL and WASR rifles are imported with it, so you could keep your original mag (PSLs come with 10-round mags as well). As an added benefit, these stocks have an integral recoil plate that works very well at reducing felt recoil. You can buy fully assembled blanks for $10, and a jar of wood stain for $6. It takes just a little work to finish one of these: just sand it down to a smooth finish, paint the stain on, and let it dry. I used the sling loop to hang the stock up so I could easily paint all of it.

Here's the one I finished: StockStain.jpg

Total cost: $20 or so with shipping. The stain was MinWax Sedona Red. A lot of people recommend MinWax for firearm stocks, and I can certainly see why.

Just do yourself a favor and get a new 10-round mag if you want to keep your current setup. It'll be a lot easier and cheaper than doing further conversion on the rifle, though the PSL stock is still a nice feature and another option if you want to keep your original mag. I'd trust the original Russian FCG parts a LOT more than Tapco parts, to be honest, although there IS the Red Star Arms alternative; it just costs more. The cheapest and easiest solution is to buy a PSL stock and finish it, or you can just buy a US-made 10-round mag and shelve your original. Your choice. Both will keep your rifle legal. I'd honestly go with the PSL stock. It's SO much nicer, and just makes your rifle look classy.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
Here's one thing you can do: get a PSL / Romak-3 stock for it.

Mike, Thats a nice stock but my rifle has an angle cut on the tail end of the receiver that limits what I can install. The robinson vepr stock fits with some work and I've committed to it at this point (spent the money, made it fit, etc.) I think I'll just go with the US mags for a bit, that is until some other idea shows itself. If I swap out the gas piston I'm down to 11 parts . . . really want to keep the factory FCG, one more part . . .

Thanks for the info Gunny