I own a PSL, and I've done all my homework on it. Let me give you the lowdown:

The PSL and Dragunov semi-automatic rifles are only designed to handle 147 to 155-grain (sometimes called light ball, or just ball) ammunition. They are NOT designed to handle the 160-180 grain heavy ball ammo that was intended for the Mosin Nagant and Russian heavy machine guns.

The good news: pretty much all the cheap surplus you'll find today is 147-150 grain ammo, including the excellent 7N1 sniper ammo. They largely transitioned to this ammunition weight after the introduction of the Dragunov. You will have NO problem whatsoever finding appropriate surplus ammunition.

The bad news: most commercial ammo loads are based off the old Mosin Nagant loading, and are 160-180 grain. Only Wolf and PRVI Partisan currently produce commercial loads of the proper weight. This is, however, slowly changing, as the PSL becomes more popular and Mosin Nagant users want something that will cause them a little less pain.

Good ammunition: Surplus 147-148 grain 7.62x54R ammo or 7N1 ammunition. The basic surplus is often called light ball or just ball. 7N1 is sniper grade, but still VERY cheap compared to any commercial round of this size. Also Wolf or PRVI Partisan 150-grain ammunition are excellent ammo.

Bad ammunition: Heavy ball ammo greater than 155-grain in weight, or any commercial equivalent thereof. Note: in an emergency where your life depends on it, shooting this ammo won't blow it up, but it's NOT good for it. If you want to shoot this stuff, spend the $75 and get a Mosin Nagant.

Conclusion: there is NO doubt the PSL is a better gun than the Saiga. It is FAR more accurate, heavier, and better reinforced. Saigas average 2-4 inch groups at 100 yards. A PSL with a good shooter can shoot the same group at 400 yards or better. Someone I know has their PSL shooting 1-inch groups at 200 yards, which is just obscene for what they paid for it. The furniture on a PSL is just nice, too. The default stock is extremely comfortable and has a recoil plate that, when coupled with the muzzle brake, cut this rifle's recoil down to a completely comfortable level. There's less noticeable recoil than my Saiga .223, and it's more of a push than a sharp kick.

Furniture: if you REALLY want to change the gun's already excellent furniture, the PSL should be able to accept a standard AK stock. I am not sure if it is already drilled for a pistol grip, though. The receiver is an angle cut, which requires any stock you mount on it be a fixed width in order to fit.

what about corrosive ammo? isn't most corrosive?

If it's commie produced mlitary ammo, it uses corrosive primers.

Bottom line on what Mike the Wolf said above: If you shoot enough heavy stuff in your PSL, you'll eventually shoot it loose.

I wouldn't say bothersome. Hoppes says their powder solvent WILL neutralize corrosive primers. Given that I shot some in my Mosin Nagant and then cleaned it with Hoppes over a month ago, and it still looks pristine, I tend to believe them.

I just picked myself up a .30 caliber boresnake and made a few passes, swabbed the gas tube, and dipped the bolt head and firing pin directly in the solvent, then wiped it down well, and cleaned wherever else was necessary. If you follow basic instructions for cleaning an AK properly, you won't run into trouble. There is an excellent tutorial available HERE and HERE. Just take the extra instructions involved with corrosive ammo and apply them to the AK instructions (knowing that Hoppes solvent works the same as water for most applications), and you'll be able to get it clean quickly. Or you can just buy the Wolf stuff and not have to worry about corrosion in the first place. The only really bad thing about the Wolf stuff is it burns dirty; it won't corrode your gun, but you'll be spending a long time cleaning it.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
I got yah.

hmm... how bothersome.

yeah, pretty much a PITA.

I would get the Saiga .308 and buy the commercial ammo for it If I were you and didn't want to be bothered by choosing ammo and having a loosey goosey PSL, which you have to clean the gas tube, barrel and bolt face everytime you shoot corrosive....that gas tube retaining pin is a real toughie to unlock too.

Mine is not a PITA to clean after shooting corrosive, they are really fun to shoot. I would not hesitate suggesting buying one to someone interested in them .

I have shot corrosive ammo in mine for a couple of years now, with no ill effects.

Besides, that commercial .308 is a little on the pricey side compared to what I can (or could anyway) get surplus .54R for. I stocked up on it while it was cheap a couple of years ago.

I got yah.

hmm... how bothersome.

yeah, pretty much a PITA.

I would get the Saiga .308 and buy the commercial ammo for it If I were you and didn't want to be bothered by choosing ammo and having a loosey goosey PSL, which you have to clean the gas tube, barrel and bolt face everytime you shoot corrosive....that gas tube retaining pin is a real toughie to unlock too.

I had no problems removing my gas tube by hand on the PSL. The Saiga is another story; its lever is MUCH tighter. But the PSL comes apart easily with no tools. Although I have heard this can vary somewhat; someone I know had to use pliars. They were worried about forcing it, and I told them, "It's an AK. It's okay to force it."

• 2 weeks later...

My PSL is interesting: it WAS an unissued military model, as near as I can tell. From what I gather, the armory where it was stored had a roof leak and some of the guns got wet. These guns were then liquidated and sold on the civilian market. Mine had a little bit of surface rust on the underside of the gas tube, but was otherwise pristine. I cleaned it off and used a bluing pen on it and it's good as new.

Note: obviously, it doesn't have full-auto "safety sear" that most military AK's do. I have heard that some military PSLs had it, but I am quite certain that Cugir later eliminated it from all models to simplify production. It's simply not needed since the PSL was never capable of fully automatic fire.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
My PSL is interesting: it WAS an unissued military model, as near as I can tell. From what I gather, the armory where it was stored had a roof leak and some of the guns got wet. These guns were then liquidated and sold on the civilian market. Mine had a little bit of surface rust on the underside of the gas tube, but was otherwise pristine. I cleaned it off and used a bluing pen on it and it's good as new.

Note: obviously, it doesn't have full-auto "safety sear" that most military AK's do. I have heard that some military PSLs had it, but I am quite certain that Cugir later eliminated it from all models to simplify production. It's simply not needed since the PSL was never capable of fully automatic fire.

Actually there was a recall on some Century imported Cugir PSLs. It seems they did have receiver or parts that BATFE classed as machine gun. Go to the Century page and read about the recall and check your serial number versus listed. I understand that BATFE is actively looking for these guns and their owners. Make sure that the men in black don't visit you.