ok im green beyond green and have not bought anything that I ever needed to be concerned with 922r....so i have this saiga 12 and as others have said want the PG and a new stock..can i just move the FCG to its logical position and add PG?...can i then remove the russian barrell nut and add american barrell nut to be in compliance?...what about modifing some old AK furniture i have laying around to fit?..would that mean i would have to change another russian part like tossing the 5 round magazine for an american 10 rounder?...i guess if all else fails ill modify an old ak wood stock to fit and replace the russian barrel nut with a tromix shark brake or something similiar..if that is even allowable to be in compliance...

It's generally not a good idea to depend on a US magazine for 922r compliance. Moving the trigger group does nothing towards compliance and just substituting a US-made FCG still comes up short in the parts count, as would using a foreign AK stock. You're not going to easily find a US-made barrel nut due to the thread size. Just cough up the $75 or so for a US FCG and maybe a gas piston (the hockey puck-like thing) or muzzle brake, along with a US PG and it'd be a much less 'questionable' conversion. You have to get rid of at least four Russian parts and use US-made ones instead, and use a US-made PG as that increases the total countable parts by one more.

dont forget that the muzzle portion isnt necessarily going to subtract one when you add one... so adding a USA made brake only moves the total from 14 parts to 15 now, with that extra USA made part on there... you still need to use the proper number to reach compliance without the barrel modification...

:smoke:

One of the things on the 922r parts list is "muzzle attachment (optional)". I'm not sure that a thread protector would even count, as this is primarily aimed at flash hiders and muzzle brakes. The Poly Choke probably counts, but maybe not, as adjustable chokes and/or choke tubes are not really "attachments". It's a huge gray area to say the least, and I wouldn't count on it to keep me out of trouble. Plus, if it does count, like Indy said, it only adds to your numbers, you haven't solved the problem.

If you want to use old AK furniture you've got laying around, you still need to change 4 parts. If you use a US made FCG, that'll get you 3, and a gas piston or "puck" will get you the 4th.

You don't want to ever rely on magazines as part of your compliance. Sooner or later, you or someone will find themselves with a foreign made mag in place, and that would be when you'd get caught.

It's just so much easier to do it right.

• 2 months later...

I have a hard time viewing the thread protector as a part. It does not go past the end of the barrel so it's a barrel thread protector not a muzzle device.

I highly doubt that choke tubes (like the polychoke) count either.

Either way you need an extra part.. The gas tube puck or magazine floor plates(depending on how handy you are) would be simple.

I see what you mean about the thread protector not extending past the end of the barrel, and I agree from a common-sense perspective, but the threads also don't extend past the end of the barrel, and they're not even detachable (except with a saw), so I don't see how they could be viewed as a "muzzle attachment" that qualifies as a "part" separate from the barrel either.

Unless there's a special definition of "part" or "attachment" somewhere, it seems like the most sensible interpretation of the "muzzle attachment" item on that list is that if you have threads, they assume you'll attach something, so you have to count a part in addition to the barrel. But in order to determine whether that part is US or imported, you look at what's actually attached. The only question then would be how to count the part if you don't attach anything (or if you attach something that doesn't count as an "attachment," like possibly a thread protector). Maybe then you would default back to counting the "attachment" the same way as the barrel.

If that (or something similar) is not right, then a threaded Saiga barrel just counts as two imported parts regardless of what you attach, and it would make no sense to have a separate listing for a part called a "muzzle attachment."

I can see that the prevailing opinion here seems to be otherwise, and I'm just a newbie with no experience at all in this field, so I'm happy to be schooled. Is it a matter of assuming that anything vague is likely to be interpreted as strongly as possible against the owner, so caution demands that a threaded Saiga barrel be counted as two imported parts regardless of what's attached? (Not saying that would be in any way an unreasonable approach, just asking if that's where the interpretation is coming from.) Is it thought that an "attachment" doesn't actually mean the thing that's attached, but rather the thing that makes the attaching possible (the threads)?

How can you get in trouble for having a gun that is not compliant? If its in your house, then they don't know what you have. What keeps someone from stamping "USA" on everything?

I would say if it was marked "USA" when I bought it, then it is made in the "USA"--

ya know what I mean Vern!

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

ok so there are several possible combinations to be 922 compliant.

so.. theoretically a u.s made pg, stock, quad rail and mag would be adequate in the eyes of the "man".

i "could" use bulgarian ak trigger, hammer and disconnecor (assuming these are saiga compatable) with the above configuration and not be in violation.

ok so there are several possible combinations to be 922 compliant.

so.. theoretically a u.s made pg, stock, quad rail and mag would be adequate in the eyes of the "man".

Yes, as long as you use US made magazines, and not a foreign one of any capacity (including the one that came with the gun, because you've added a pistol grip).

i "could" use bulgarian ak trigger, hammer and disconnecor (assuming these are saiga compatable) with the above configuration and not be in violation.

Yes, it's the number of 922r parts (10 or less) that matters, not which ones (with the caveat about foreign magazines).